PDA

View Full Version : Why cant the Texans just trade his rights?

Dozerdog
02-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Clump, Eb- or any other CBA geek-

The quandry that everyone has is the "salary slot" that Henson fits (6th rounder)

Why can't a team trade the Texans for the unsigned rights to him? Why is it necissary for the Texans to be the first to sign him?

Remember the Colts when they drafted Elway? He refused to sign, used the Yankees as leverage, and the Colts traded his rights to Denver. Denver then signed him .

Now I realize alll the new rules, cap issues, ect... but why can't the Texans trade his draft rights to another club- let them sign him to 6th round money- but give him a long enough deal where they could give him signing bonus?

It would simplify things immensly

The Spaz
02-23-2004, 01:32 PM
I asked this a while ago myself not sure if it was ever answered though.:idunno:

clumping platelets
02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
:confused:

I'll hafta research this. I know what I've read in published reports.

BidsJr
02-23-2004, 01:46 PM
No way would another team give up a 2nd round pick without a contract being in place. If the rights were just traded away, the team that he went to could be hung out to dry and Henson could just re-enter the draft.

No chance any GM has those kind of kahones.

SoCalBillsFan
02-23-2004, 01:51 PM
exactly bids. Wy would TD trade a 2nd rounder for a QB that he didn't have locked up? If they can't work out a contract, it would be a waste of a second runder and henson would go back into the draft.

This way, any contract snags will be ironed out before the trade is completed, o if it doesn't work, we dont lose any picks.

DraftBoy
02-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Ok so why not get the Texans permission to discuss a deal with his Agent, agree on one and have Henson's rights dealt here and then he signs his new deal the next day? if we can work out a contract that works for us why not just have HOU deal his rights to us for a 2nd or whatever and then he signs here the following day.

BidsJr
02-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Ok so why not get the Texans permission to discuss a deal with his Agent, agree on one and have Henson's rights dealt here and then he signs his new deal the next day? if we can work out a contract that works for us why not just have HOU deal his rights to us for a 2nd or whatever and then he signs here the following day.

That is how the process works.

Dozerdog
02-23-2004, 02:57 PM
It's a no brainer the team trading for him will have a contract hammered out.

But this eliminates the need for the texans to sign him, trade him , and they have to negotiate another deal

BidsJr
02-23-2004, 03:20 PM
My understanding is that he would be signed for the first year under the rookie cap witht he Texans then traded with the prearranged extension already in place with his new team. All of these details will be worked out one way or the other.

The key items are

-Texans will get their 2nd round pick.
-Henson will not make the 6th rnd money.
-Team that gets Henson will not be limited in what they can pay in incentives or the deal would never happen.

How all this works out who cares. But all of the above will happen.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I think I have read somewhere that there was a deadline that passed where the Texans had until that time to trade his rights.

Ebenezer
02-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
I know what I've read in published reports.

Originally posted by BidsJr
My understanding is that he would be signed for the first year under the rookie cap witht he Texans then traded with the prearranged extension already in place with his new team.

I agree with Clump on this one. It is my understanding that since the salary cap was instituted teams can no longer just trade players rights away. It is seen as a way to circumvent the rookie part of the salcap. Thus, the player must be signed to a deal that fits into the drafting teams rookie cap. In other words, Henson can be signed to whatever was left in the Houston rookie cap; not necessarily the money paid a 6th rounder. Then, after he is signed he can be traded. Here is where it gets tricky. His contract, should he want a big bonus which is what it will take to get him, needs to set up to be beneficial to the team. I have not been able to find if, since he has to fit into last years rookie cap, if year one of the contract would have been last year, thus, a team might be a little hesitant to put big bonus money in year 2. He could sue and claim that year one was null and void. Then, that bonus has to characterized such that the Texans don't have escalated money into their cap this year.

There are so many trips, slips and falls with this one that I am actually going to be surprised if he is traded.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2004, 09:17 PM
You can't trade a player unless you have a contract. Right now, all the Texans have out there is a minimum tender to retain his rights. However, while they hold rights (due to the tender, which expires a few days prior to the draft) they do not have a contract and thus can not trade him.

cland
02-24-2004, 01:05 AM
You can trade a player's rights, however there is a deadline that kicks in. The deadline to trade henson's rights (and any other draftees) passed during the season (I'll let someone else find the exact date, but I think I remember that the date was in late october)

The reasoning behind the rule has to do with leverage in contract negotiations. The short explanation goes something like the following...

if the rule didn't exist:

I'm a GM and let's assume I draft Dozerdog with my first round pick. We sit down at the table to negotiate his contract and I decide to low ball him. Dozerdog's agent balks and decides to holdout and refuses to sign. Me being an evil GM, makes the following point "Look sign this contract, otherwise I'm going to sit on your rights til march and then get my (equivilent) draft pick back for you anyways (via trade.) No skin off my nose, but it'll cost you about $14 million dollars"..... /dozerdog isn't too happy/

if the rule exists:
Dozerdog's agent can reply with "My client has to agree to any contract before dozerdog can he be traded (after the deadline), make us a reasonable offer otherwise you're out of a first round draft pick" and I'll--err my client--will make that money next-year anyways.

That's the general drift of why the rule exists.

Dozerdog
02-24-2004, 06:28 AM
Cool! I'm a first round pick!!