PDA

View Full Version : The cost of the "future" QB

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-24-2004, 06:14 AM
Holy cow, I went to bb.com and I seen this post. It is rare when you see some good posts over there but this one wasn't bad. I think it might be missing some information but here it is:

(so I give credit the guys name is buffalobills backwards, in case you are on this board too)

The price of a rookie QB:

"1. Phillip Rivers = 1st round draft pick (13) + at least $8 million signing bonus + somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million per for salary + passing on the chance to land a blue chip receiver or pass rushing DE. What you get - A winning quarterback at all levels, tough, has most of the tools you ask for in a QB. Only question - Arm strength

2. Drew Henson = a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick in 2005 + no signing bonus + an incentive based contract that doesn't have much cap penalty + the ability to keep the 13th pick in the draft. What you get - a project and a gamble, for being out of football for three years, for only playing in a handful of games, and the ever popular word potential. He does seem to have most of the tools you ask for in a QB, but that won't be known until he steps on the field. What you get - only time will tell if the physical and mental ability can transfer into the NFL.

3. JP Losman (or someone else like Harris) = a 2nd round pick in this years draft + a minimal signing bonus + salary. What you get - you take a shot on a QB that seems to have a lot of the potential but just needs to be refined or improved. Only question - Does he turn into the next middle round gem or another bust."

I would think it might be OK to add Patrick Ramsay somehow, even though I don't think the Redskins are trading him this year.

Jeff1220
02-24-2004, 06:55 AM
On the NFL Network last night, they said Losman's workout probably raised him into the first round.

Tatonka
02-24-2004, 07:30 AM
yeah.. losman and ben watson did great yesterday apparently.. which means that losman will most likely end up a packer.

Tatonka
02-24-2004, 07:31 AM
ps.. losman REALLY reminds me of rob johnson.. he is a surfer dude with the messy hair, same physique, ect.. just watching him yesterday, he really looked like good old rj.. not to say he will play that way.. i like the guy as a prospect.. just an fyi.

baalworship
02-24-2004, 07:39 AM
I completely agree Tatonka. Losman reminds me of Rob Johnson. All the physical tools but has brain damage.

ryjam282
02-24-2004, 07:47 AM
In repsonse to the copied post, there is a reference to Rivers' arm strength, he more then quieted those rumors in the Senior Bowl do you think? He had plenty of zip.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
ps.. losman REALLY reminds me of rob johnson.. he is a surfer dude with the messy hair, same physique, ect.. just watching him yesterday, he really looked like good old rj.. not to say he will play that way.. i like the guy as a prospect.. just an fyi.

Losman's weaknesses from the huddle report:
"He does everything right now on athletic talent alone. That won't do it at the next level. He consistently holds on to the ball too long in the passing game. He is inconsistent and sloppy in his mechanics. I do not sense that he is a leader that wants the people around him to be more successful then he is. He does not understand the meaning of team play."

Nail, Head, Bang

elltrain22
02-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Losman has a very live arm, but what about Matt Schaub. I think Shaub might also be a good late draft choice.

eyedog
02-24-2004, 07:56 AM
T., if you like Losman as a prospect why wouldn't you like Henson as a prospect ? He would cost a 2005 2nd rd pick and has as much or more physical talent. some very good points made regarding the qbs in the original post.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
In repsonse to the copied post, there is a reference to Rivers' arm strength, he more then quieted those rumors in the Senior Bowl do you think? He had plenty of zip.

Huddle Report
"I'm not going to bother with telling you he needs better mechanics because he throws side arm. I am going to tell you that know matter what Philip Rivers does that his arm will never be strong enough to be an NFL STARTING QB. There I said it…go-ahead throw things at me. I can take it."

football.com
"Negatives: He is probably never going to be the type of quarterback that you would hold up as an example for young players to study. He has a very unorthodox delivery (tends to sidearm the ball) and his footwork needs some improvement. Overall, he does not have a lot of athleticism and his lack of mobility is a concern."

Great Blue
"Negatives: Has a good arm, but not a great arm. Only has average mobility. Has a low release point and an awkward throwing motion."

I guess there is a difference of opinions on his arm strenght amongst the "experts".

eyedog
02-24-2004, 08:03 AM
If they don't get Henson I wouldn't mind a 2nd rd pick on Rivers, but if they use #13 on this guy they will be making another 1st rd mistake. They have to get an immediate player at #13 this year.

Tatonka
02-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by eyedog
T., if you like Losman as a prospect why wouldn't you like Henson as a prospect ? He would cost a 2005 2nd rd pick and has as much or more physical talent. some very good points made regarding the qbs in the original post.

dog.. i like losman as a prospect, but he is not one of my favorites by any means.. i dont know that i would take losman over henson to be honest.. i think i would rather not have either.

if i had to name off my list of guys i want.. it would be in this order.

rivers
smoker
ramsey
clausen

:idunno:

eyedog
02-24-2004, 08:16 AM
I like Smoker too and he can be had with a 4th or 5th rder. I also wouldn't be against a Ramsey trade. I am not big on Clausen though.

DraftBoy
02-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

dog.. i like losman as a prospect, but he is not one of my favorites by any means.. i dont know that i would take losman over henson to be honest.. i think i would rather not have either.

if i had to name off my list of guys i want.. it would be in this order.

rivers
smoker
ramsey
clausen

:idunno:

Come on T, Smoker? I dont like him at all. He or Schaub for that matter. They show me little potential. They do all the things ok, but nothing really good and thats what Im looking for in a QB. Hell RJ can throw a nice spiral 20 yards down the field. Yea I also know he is over his drinking problem but as Ive said before the stresses and oppurtunities that present themselves when you have that kind of money make me wanna second guess him as a selection any higher than the 6th. Just IMO. I also like Clausen alot he could be a very good QB in the NFL IMO.

I like:
Rivers
Losman
Clausen
Harris

I dont like:
Schaub
Navarre
Smoker

Bulldog
02-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I am just curious, does anyone know if Schaub played in a pro-style offense @ Virginia. I know that their head coach used to coach in the NFL (Al Groh?) and I was wondering what type of offense he played in. If he did play in a pro-style offense, does that make him any more attractive as a possible NFL QB?