PDA

View Full Version : Why Manning is getting $18 Million

Dozerdog
02-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Some questions were raised here recently wondering how Manning, who was franchised, is gettig $18 million. (and Why Bailey is getting over $7 Million)

Someone in my office said a local radio station gave this expanation-

The Franchise tag is worth the top 5 average salaries for that position (we all knew that part), OR the % of the player's salary vs the cap.

Manning is already making top 5 QB money-and the average could be considered a pay cut. His last year salary was worth 22% of the Colt's total cap. Now that the cap was raised to $80 million, his new franchise tag $$$$ has to be 22% of the cap- or in this case, a whopping $18 million.

Clump or Eb- can you confirm this?

Devin
02-24-2004, 04:27 PM
So in actuality he would likely take a paycut for a long term extension or sign with another team?

helmetguy
02-24-2004, 05:02 PM
I thought it was the average of the top five salaries for that position, or 120% of the previous year's salary; whichever is the greatest amount.

JWatts
02-24-2004, 05:38 PM
NFL rules require teams to pay a "franchise" player the average of the top five players at the position or 120 percent of the player's salary cap number from the previous year, whichever is higher. Manning counted more than $15 million against the team's salary cap last year.

Keeping up with the tags (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7112865)

helmetguy
02-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by JWatts
NFL rules require teams to pay a "franchise" player the average of the top five players at the position or 120 percent of the player's salary cap number from the previous year, whichever is higher. Manning counted more than $15 million against the team's salary cap last year.

Keeping up with the tags (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7112865)

Thanks, JWatts. I knew it had something to do with 120%, but wasn't exactly sure how that applied. I originally caught it scanning the news, but wasn't sure where I saw it. Welcome to the Zone, BTW.

realmendontwearteal
02-24-2004, 08:10 PM
how big of a contract could manning be getting from indy