PDA

View Full Version : possible QBs

R33d_iS_g0d
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
What free agent or rookie do you think will become a back-up QB for the bills? And do you think they should dump Bledsoe?

The Spaz
02-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Los Angeles Bills? I don't ****ing think so. I think LA has shown they don't support NFL football very well at all.

Dozerdog
02-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Welcome aboard!

It's going to be interesting. The Bills have some, but not alot , of cap space.

Can they get a Billy Volek? I'm thinking that's doubtful- especialy if we acquire a replacement CB or OL help.

It's a QB rich draft- I expect we will take one there- but guessing who it is would be impossible- way to many intangibles.

baalworship
02-26-2004, 10:42 AM
I have always been a proponent of cutting Bledsoe and signing Volek as the starter. But since that's not going to happen I hope the Bills draft Rivers at #13 if they can't land Henson.

SABURZFAN
02-26-2004, 10:54 AM
welcome to the Zone R33d.

i think we should give bledsoe at least 1 more season.we should draft a QB too.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
I have always been a proponent of cutting Bledsoe and signing Volek as the starter. But since that's not going to happen I hope the Bills draft Rivers at #13 if they can't land Henson.

How long is always and why are you so high on Volek who only has had 1 or 2 good games in his career. I do like Rivers though!

TigerJ
02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
With Henson it's all about risk vs reward. He's got great potential but he's not a sure thing. The Bills have to weigh the risk/reward and if they are convinced the reward is big enough, they'll risk it. At the moment they're looking at how much they can reduce the risk (risk = the guaranteed money in any contract with Henson).

Re: any free agents
The risk is not the same as it was with Rob Johnson because there are no draft choices involved (at least with an UFA). I think TD would be very cautious about a RFA. If he can sign Billy Volek (I don't know if he's UFA or RFA) to a reasonable contract -no $5 million per year deal, then I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Draft choices are pretty unpredictable. Manning and Roethlisberger are almost certainly out of reach. Rivers looks like he would take a first round pick and he probably won't play in 2004. So TD would have to be convinced that his game savvy is so superior to other QBs available later that it's worth it to take a first rounder for the second year in a row who won't play. If he does that we'll have to admit he has guts. I think my personal favorite of TD waits until a deeper in the draft for a QB is Jeff Smoker, but I don't pretend to know enough of the way Buffalo's brass thinks to make that a prediction.

The_Philster
02-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
How long is always and why are you so high on Volek who only has had 1 or 2 good games in his career. I do like Rivers though!

Volek reminds me of RJ...a good game or two and some people are excited about him.

Mr. Cynical
02-26-2004, 06:38 PM
See my signature....

ryven
02-27-2004, 09:22 AM
As far as the draft is concerned I think every QB taken should start the season on the bench and if he happens to take over well thats just fine. but my choice for QB out of the draft and this is if we dont pick someone FA is Rivers now if we pick someone in FA I believe we should also draft someone and my pick there would be Pickett, his lack consitency(sp?) comes into play but if he was to take 1-2 seasons to learn he should be fine and he could make a very good starting QB.

Jan Reimers
02-27-2004, 09:43 AM
I have always been a proponent of cutting Bledsoe and signing Volek as the starter.

Based on one or two decent games? But I do agree that Henson or Rivers would be the way to go - as understudies to Bledsoe for a year or two.

baalworship
02-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Based on Drew Bledsoe not playing well in the majority of the games he's been here. Give the line situation on the interior, it won't matter anyway. Like it or not, Travis Brown or QB X should get a shot to show his stuff next year.

Also, for those who say Volek has only played well in 1 game, wrong! He had a very good college career. He has the tools to be a starting QB. Is he unproven? Yes. But I would rather give the reins to someone who MIGHT get it done over someone who WON't get it done.

But it doesn't matter. I have resigned myself to DB as the starter next year and we've all beaten this to death.

The_Philster
02-27-2004, 03:26 PM
RJ had a good college career as well. The NFL is a different class.

The Natrix
02-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
RJ had a good college career as well. The NFL is a different class.

Holy Cripe Phil. No one said Volek is a lock to be great, and you can't say he is the next RJ. It is however, pretty hard to argue that he would be worse than Bledsoe. That is the thing with Volek, he could start since he has had time to learn from McNair. This is why I was pretty high on him. However, my confidence that the Bills will contend this coming season is fading so I think a rookie will be the better bet. It would be nice to dump Bledsoe and AVP and pick up Volek and Rivers/Losman/Henson etc. But there simply is not enough cap room, in large part to the stupid contract given to AVP where the Bills would gain almost nothing by cutting him (financially speaking)

baalworship
02-27-2004, 03:45 PM
How is everyone that is unproven Rob Johnson?! Now, if the Bills trade a #1 pick for Volek and give the guy a 25 million dollar contract that is a similar situation into how we acquired RJ. But it doesn't follow that Volek = RJ.

Let me ask you Philster, was Jake Delhomme RJ? And if not, why does Volek have to = RJ and not Delhomme?

The point is that every QB is different. Some will succeed on a new team.

See: Steve Young, Brett Favre, Mark Brunell

Some won't. That doesn't mean the Bills should never look at bringing in guys to compete to upgrade the QB spot. Fear of failure never produced a Lombardi trophy.

WNYnut
02-27-2004, 03:46 PM

Yeah, while we're at it, let's cut Henry, sign Quentin Griffith from Denver as our starter, and then cut Moulds and sign some other no name receiver who had one good game. It's this kind of thinking that drives me nuts. Yes, I want them to draft a qb, but not at the 13th pick. The earliest they should draft a qb is the second round. First round has got to be either a DE or WR.

The_Philster
02-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Sorry....I've just seen a lot of people getting worked up about a guy who is as unproven as Volek. Yes, he could turn out to be a pretty good QB. I guess I'm more cautious when it comes to prospects than some.

The Natrix
02-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by WNYnut

let's cut Henry, sign Quentin Griffith from Denver as our starter, and then cut Moulds and sign some other no name receiver who had one good game.

I disagree.

WNYnut
02-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I disagree.

hello, sarcasm??????

baalworship
02-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Moulds and Henry are stars. Bledsoe's play, as you might have noticed, is something that has been questioned by EVERY reasonable Bills fan. Some say his problems are his own. Others blame the play on his line, coaching, etc. But to say that cutting Bledsoe means someone also wants to cut Henry and Moulds is so stupid I don't know what to say.

I am in the camp that Bledsoe is a liability. If you disagree, please argue without making up statements I never said and then criticizing them.

The Natrix
02-27-2004, 03:56 PM
WNYnut,

I know, it's just I don't see how Volek could be worse than Bledsoe.

WNYnut
02-27-2004, 03:59 PM
yeah, he had a horrible year! i know this, we all know this, but in what way was the coaching staff coaching to his strengths and the offense's strengths i.e.- running the damn ball........... 3 or 4 games?? give him a chance under this new staff, that's all i'm saying.......

baalworship
02-27-2004, 04:03 PM
We are all Bills fans and we will all hope for the best. Hey, miracles can happen! But many on this message board are still going to post our dissent from time to time...

:banme:

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Also, for those who say Volek has only played well in 1 game, wrong! He had a very good college career. He has the tools to be a starting QB. Is he unproven? Yes. But I would rather give the reins to someone who MIGHT get it done over someone who WON't get it done.

We say he has only played well in 1 or 2 games because that is fact. Not saying he will be the next Rob Johnson but he reminds me exactly of RJ. Johnson had a game and a half of awesome play then had a serious injury(ankle I believe), which make me leary of bringing him in.

BIGDAWG
02-27-2004, 06:25 PM
I think they are gonna keep bledsoe and try to get rivers at 13

BIGDAWG
02-27-2004, 06:26 PM
also volek and henson reek of rob johnson....id take either one as a third string but not as a replacement for bledsoe.

James