PDA

View Full Version : Rueben's future with the Bills uncertain

shelby
02-27-2004, 05:21 AM
The future of popular Buffalo Bills guard Ruben Brown is now in the hands of new coach Mike Mularkey.

Brown, who has spent his entire nine-year NFL career in Buffalo and has gone to a team-record eight consecutive Pro Bowls, is in danger of being cut before Wednesday — the start of free agency — due to a combination of his age, contract, the coaching staff change and the controversial way his season ended last fall.

Brown was excused from the final game at New England after arriving late for a practice and having a confrontation with former offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. The Bills lost 31-0 to complete a 6-10 season.

Mularkey, back at Ralph Wilson Stadium after a week at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine, said on Thursday he’s still in the process of evaluating the roster he inherited from Gregg Williams. But the clock is ticking fast on Brown, who is due a $1.8 million bonus if he’s still on the roster on March 3.

full story (http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/bills/0227HV3DTTB_sports.shtml)

Tatonka
02-27-2004, 08:20 AM
i just really cant image them getting rid of him after he has publicly stated that he will take a paycut and that he wants to, and always has wanted to be a bill for life..

Mr. Miyagi
02-27-2004, 09:07 AM
We GOTTA bring Ruben back. He's loyal to the team. Cutting him will save us only $1.6 million, and replacing him with a Damon Woody type will cost us a whole lot more than $1.6 mil. It doesn't make any sense.

Bring him back!!!

Tatonka
02-27-2004, 09:21 AM
it is actually 1.8 mill we save.. but whats a pittly 200k to us.

:snicker:

Jan Reimers
02-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Restructure and bring him back! He may be reborn under the new coaching staff.

clumping platelets
02-27-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm torn. It's loyalty to players like Ruben that caused the "cap hell" of the past. He needs to drastically reduce his numbers to stay but it may also be an indictment of his play.

I say that he needs to waive the $1.8 million roster bonus and then cut his salary from $2.7 million to about $1.5 million. That saves about $2.8 million on 2004. Otherwise, release him and put the cap savings of about $1.57 million (adjust for top 51) to good use. Replacing him with someone like Woody would cost slightly more, however, isn't Woody younger? Yes, thus we would be gaining youth

juice
02-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
I'm torn. It's loyalty to players like Ruben that caused the "cap hell" of the past. He needs to drastically reduce his numbers to stay but it may also be an indictment of his play.

I say that he needs to waive the $1.8 million roster bonus and then cut his salary from $2.7 million to about $1.5 million. That saves about $2.8 million on 2004. Otherwise, release him and put the cap savings of about $1.57 million (adjust for top 51) to good use. Replacing him with someone like Woody would cost slightly more, however, isn't Woody younger? Yes, thus we would be gaining youth

I dought he will take that signicant of a pay cut.. Maybe if he hadn't made the Pro Bowl, But as our Best Lineman I'm glad he is flexible.

With the state of pay in the League, It's good to see a player of his caliber showing loyalty to this organization. I think he should be even more vocal of a leader.. he already leads by his level of play.

Mr. Cynical
02-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i just really cant image them getting rid of him after he has publicly stated that he will take a paycut and that he wants to, and always has wanted to be a bill for life..

Agreed. If he were whining and strutting around with a chip on his shoulder I'd say bag him, but since he has been loyal and willing to negiotiate I say we try to keep him. And even though he is getting older, remember that lineman can last forever. Add that to the fact he is constantly in the pro bowl (regardless of what people think about it being a popularity contest) and he still has good value.

Gunzlingr
02-27-2004, 11:54 AM
seems pretty certain now, doesnt it!