PDA

View Full Version : If you were told................

Novacane
10-14-2002, 12:24 AM
at the beginning of the season we would be 3-3 after 6 games would you have been happy with that? I would have. A lot of people were saying the Houston game would be our first win. As horrible as our Defense has been we still are 3 - 3.

WG
10-14-2002, 12:36 AM
It depends upon the circumstances.

We also thought the Jets would be good, as would the Bears. They both suck.

If someone had told me that our D would be significantly worse than it was last year I would have told them that they're on crack.

If someone had told me that we were 3-3 by having beaten three teams that are a combined 4-11, two of which were 1-4 and one of which was the Texans;
that we'd have the last ranked D by a long shot;
that Henry would lead the league in fumbles and cost us a game and almost two others;
that our rushing game would sputter;
that the only positive aspect other than our STs not giving out points like it is the Red Cross giving out relief;
that we couldn't stop any one;
that two of the games that we won went to overtime and the third one vs. Houston almost did;

No! I wouldn't have been happy.

I'm still not very happy at how the team has "developed." I think we have FAR more to do for next season that even I had anticipated.

Coaching issues apparently are running deeper than we ever thought they would or could. You don't simply replace a D.C. and not lose a beat.

I'm very concerned about the progress of this team. I also don't think we'll win more than 3 of our next 10 games unless something bizarre happens to the defense to get them to start playing NFL D instead of NCAA D-II D.

Our passing game is excellent and has exceeded everyone's expectations. Unfortunately, and the Chargers proved this in the early '80s, you need some defense to win championships.

We are so far from playing sound defense at the moment that it's almost a travesty.

WG
10-14-2002, 12:41 AM
Having said that, it's gonna take a pretty serious defensive overhaul of our front 7 to make us competitive next year.

Ahanotu will be 33 next year and while he's playing OK, he's certainly not playing great. Robinson stinks and should get cut after this season. That means we'll need another OLB not to mention some depth at the LB position. We'll also need a couple of DTs. One to start and another for depth. A DE would be nice too.

If Henry does not come around to the point where he can't avoid fumbling 14 times this season and start putting up some consistent games, then we may need a RB too. JR will be gone leaving us w/ only one TE in Moore who'll also be 33 next season.

We'll have plenty of holes to fill and don't forget that we don't have a first round draft pick to help us. So it should be an interesting offseason.

We also should axe some coaches. Gray obviously needs to go and we need to replace him w/ someone who has experience at that level.

Novacane
10-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
at the beginning of the season we would be 3-3 after 6 games would you have been happy with that?

A simple yes or no answer would have been fine Wys!:earpoke:

I agree with most of what you said there but I still think most people would have taken 3-3 at this point 6 weeks ago!