PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio said

nolimit
02-28-2004, 08:29 PM
ESPN Radio said that once the Redskins get Clinton Portis, they will trade Portis to the Patriots for BOTH of the Patriots first round picks.

i got this from the pats baord and finheaven

Dozerdog
02-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Links?

nolimit
02-28-2004, 08:36 PM
there are no links but go to any redskin or pats board! even the fish are talking about it!

Michael82
02-28-2004, 08:40 PM
WHAT?!!?!?

OMG! This makes sense! I wondered why they wanted Portis. :eek:

Imagine Brady and Portis on the same team. Noooooo! :mad:

Devin
02-28-2004, 10:25 PM
crap.

madness
02-28-2004, 10:26 PM
I think I'm getting sick!

Dozerdog
02-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Links?

Originally posted by nolimit
there are no links but go to any redskin or pats board! even the fish are talking about it!

It's Not on ESPN News, It's not on any of the news wires, I'm not even seeing it on finheaven.

Do you even have a link to the other message boards?

So let me get this straight, some ass-clown on a pats/Skins board puts a stupid rumor out there and everyone gets all crazy over it?

Let's examine this logically-

Pats are famous not paying Free agents or their own guys (like Ty Law) - so why would they get Portis, who will command 7-8 million after this season?

Why give up 2 #1s in the deepest draft in 3 decades for a RB? They can DRAFT one! Why would Denver and New England just cut out the middle man and deal Ty Law for Portis directly? ? -He's disgruntled in NE and will probably get CUT - but is the shut down corner the Broncos want. It makes ZERO common sense.

Dozerdog
02-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
WHAT?!!?!?

OMG! This makes sense! I wondered why they wanted Portis. :eek:

Imagine Brady and Portis on the same team. Noooooo! :mad:

Mike- lay off the sugar and caffinated pop.

It doesn't make sense- Redskins need a RB just as bad if not worse than the Patriots do. It makes more sense that the Skins would trade their top 5 pick for New England's two #1s- but not Portis.

nolimit
02-29-2004, 05:42 AM

It's Not on ESPN News, It's not on any of the news wires, I'm not even seeing it on finheaven.

Do you even have a link to the other message boards?

So let me get this straight, some ass-clown on a board puts a stupid rumor out there and everyone gets all crazy over it?

Let's examine this logically-

Pats are famous not paying Free agents or their own guys (like Ty Law) - so why would they get Portis, who will command 7-8 million after this season?

Why give up 2 #1s in the deepest draft in 3 decades for a RB? They can DRAFT one! Why would Denver and New England just cut out the middle man and deal Ty Law for Portis directly? ? -He's disgruntled in NE and will probably get CUT - but is the shut down corner the Broncos want. It makes ZERO common sense.

give me a break. I find it hard that you even went to another message board, cuz if you did you would see it. Besides I never said it was true, just what I heard.

Aero II
02-29-2004, 06:10 AM
I was looking for smoe reaction to Ty Laws comments last night and found that rumor too.
http://www.nflfans.com/patriotstalk/forum.php?az=show_mesg&forum=100&thread_id=52552&mesg_id=52552&page=
Seems like no one can find a link to an acutal media outlet. I hope the source is the same that told all of us that the Bills Preseason started in Japan, and included 3 West Coast games.

Dozerdog
02-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by nolimit
give me a break. I find it hard that you even went to another message board, cuz if you did you would see it. Besides I never said it was true, just what I heard.

I went to finhell- didn't see it.

Went to a Redskin board- Hogs.net, 1 thread with 4 posts- all pretty much shooting it down, because of no links

When someone posts rumor on this board, and people get Mikey all worked up, I got to investigate it.

BTW- I wasn't referring to you as an ass-clown. My Bad- i should have made it more clear I was calling the joker who started this whole rumor as an ass-clown.

nolimit
02-29-2004, 12:29 PM

Went to a Redskin board- Hogs.net, 1 thread with 4 posts- all pretty much shooting it down, because of no links

When someone posts rumor on this board, and people get Mikey all worked up, I got to investigate it.

BTW- I wasn't referring to you as an ass-clown. My Bad- i should have made it more clear I was calling the joker who started this whole rumor as an ass-clown.

all is forgotten.:hi5:

Dozerdog
02-29-2004, 12:44 PM
:up:

don137
02-29-2004, 01:18 PM
This trade makes no sense whatsoever unless the Redskins are the dumbest run organization.
The Redskins are giving up there 2nd round pick in the deal for Portis which is #37 overall. That would end up with a net result of giving up Champ Bailey and getting the #21 overall and moving up five spots for there second pick from #37 to #32. I don't see that happening...

The_Philster
02-29-2004, 02:02 PM

I saw it....just a thread with someone saying they heard it.
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33342

mypoorfriendme
02-29-2004, 05:24 PM
i gurentee this will not happen

TigerJ
02-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Don't know if there's any credibility to it or not. I did understand (from ESPN radio a few days ago that Portis wanted to renegotiate his contract, which pays him between 800,000 and 900,000 in 2004. Both Washington and NE need a running back, but Washington is probably not a true contender this year. NE obviously is because they are after all the defending Super Bo9wl champions. I could see where Washington might value two first round picks pretty highly because it would help them rebuild their team faster. They could draft both a RB and a CB in round 1, and both could end up starting and producing. In other words, they trade away one CB they can't afford and get both a RB and a CB who will start and pay less salary than they would have either for Bailey or Portis (with a renegotiated contract). NE gets the star RB who could turn them from a one year wonder into a potential dynasty. They don't have many holes and don't really need two first round picks. The potential wrench in all this is the Portis contract. If he was prepared to sit out at Denver, presumably he still is. The question is would he settle for a little less in a renegotiated contract this year than he would command next year when his rookie contract is up, particularly for the chance at a Super Bowl ring. Only Clinton Portis can answer that question. Would the Patriots break form and pay a star a star sized contract it it meant the chance to string some Super Bowls together. It could be tempting.

Dozerdog
02-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Sorry , Tiger- I see a completely different picture.

Super bowl champs in the Salcap era get dismantled really quick. Good players get trumped up a little due to having a ring. Look at Woody, he's probably going to be a highly sought after guy and command a few extra dollars than if he came off the Bears.

New England needs all their picks to stay compeditive longer.

elltrain22
02-29-2004, 06:40 PM
That would be horrible news for us Bills fans, and more great news for Pats fans, lets hope it doesn't happen.

realmendontwearteal
02-29-2004, 10:49 PM
if the pats end up with portis...it makes me hate the pats even more

The Natrix
02-29-2004, 10:56 PM
What's the word on R. Colvin? If he comes back 100% and they steal Portis from the Skins, Is there any point to even playing the season?

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 05:58 AM
Colvin's hip injury is rehabbing well, but there is no word on the current status. He had good blood flow, so it isn't a Bo Jackson situation. However, it is hard to say how he will be effected by the injury next year. He has just started running again.

Colvin's injury was real similar to Carolina S Deon Grant, who recovered but it took a full year.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 06:00 AM
BTW, as much as I would love for the Portis thing to happen, I haven't seen any reputable report verifying it. The only sources I have found are message-board reports of a report on ESPN radio. My guess was it was conjecture on the part of some radio yahoo, thinking aloud. I don't think it has substance.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 06:08 AM
Pro Football Talk, who aren't a reputable source because they are rumor whores, are the first to report the trade anywhere but a message board.

They are saying it is Portis for both Pats firsts and Ty Law:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

eyedog
03-01-2004, 09:18 AM
I heard on ESPN last week that Colvins recovery is not moving along that well. that is a serious type injury he had and he may not come back to where he was.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Don't buy that. Colvin's injury is coming along fine, but this type of injury takes time to heal. He was only able to walk with crutches after about 10 weeks and didn't being walking until late in the season. He recently was cleared to run, and if you watch him he moves along pretty good.

The big worry with Colvin's hip injury was that blood flow would be cut off from the joint. When this happens the bone begins to die, which is what prematurely ended Bo Jackson's career. That did not happen to him, so the doctors have told him he should recover fully. There are about a half-dozen NFL players who have suffered similar injuries to what happened to Colvin, who have returned to play without effect. Priest Holmes suffered the same type of injury, although not as severe. Deon Grant suffered an almost identical injury, and he returned after missing a full year.

However, it isn't the type of thing that can be rushed along. It needs to be given time to heal, which the doctors have said is a full year. Considering he injured it in week 2, he probably wont' be 100% until after the season starts.

JWatts
03-01-2004, 10:33 PM
I think you can officially put this rumor to bed. I don't think the Redskins are going to eat $17 Million.

In a deal that clears the way for his trade to the Washington Redskins later this week, Denver Broncos tailback Clinton Portis reached agreement Monday on a contract that makes him the highest-paid running back in league history, ESPN.com has learned.

Portis will sign an eight-year deal that is worth $50.5 million and includes $17 million in combined signing and option bonuses, several league sources confirmed for ESPN.com.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1748249)

elltrain22
03-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Portis is a Redskin period. Pats will just have to draft a rb

Throne Logic
03-02-2004, 12:50 AM
I have to throw my lot into the "this would be just plain stupid" pot.

Why give up 2 first rounders for a guy who has excelled in a system that seems to allow any halfway decent RB to excel? Now they're talking about tossing Law into the deal, too? Stupid. The Pat's can just use one 1st rounder on an RB and the other on a Corner.

Now if this is all backwards, it might make a little bit more sense. Perhaps the Redskins want to trade their top 5 pick to NE in exchange for Ty Law and one of the Pat's first round picks. . .

kardshark19
03-02-2004, 03:12 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

Atlanta is going to trade Michael Vick to the Bills for their 13th pick and Bledsoe, and a 2nd rounder next year.

My source: a little birdie told me.

Don't believe everything you hear. :shakeno:

clumping platelets
03-02-2004, 03:28 AM
:mad: