PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Talk says Woody a Bill...

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 06:09 AM
Yeah, I know, consider the source. But it is the offseason and this is topical:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Here is what they say:

We picked up a tip on Sunday that Patriots' offensive lineman Damien Woody could be making a bee line to Buffalo once free agency officially opens on March 3.

In fact, there are indications that Woody might already have a side deal in place with the Bills, who desperately need help along the offensive line.

The Pats already have decided to allow Woody to test the free-agent market. Still, the Pats likely didn't give Woody permission to begin talking to other teams (including their division rivals) before March 3.

Stay tuned. If/when Woody signs quickly with Buffalo, it could be time for the Pats to ask the NFL to lean on Woody's agent to produce his February phone and fax records to see if any tampering has occurred.

Scott
03-01-2004, 06:16 AM
Great, another Pats retread that we will overpay for and he will not play up to expectations.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Woody is no retread. He is a very good player, and is only 26 years old.

His departure from NE isn't a case of them not liking him as much as not wanting to pay him as much as he wants. The Pats don't pay their OL very much, and they have younger players they like (Dan Koppen, Russ Hochstein) at Woody's positions. Koppen was a rookie last year and started at C. Hochstein was just signed for 3 years/$2M ($200K SB), and filled in for Woody in the playoffs, playing well.

Woody's departure is simply the reality of the NFL system. There is only so much cap space, so eventually good teams lose good players.

The Spaz
03-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Scott
Great, another Pats retread that we will overpay for and he will not play up to expectations.

Hello, Woody has already been to the Pro Bowl and concidered one of the best centers ot there. I hope we get him but I just can't really get all hyped about tit because it is pro football talk reporting this.:up:

cordog
03-01-2004, 06:44 AM

This is probably the worst post i have ever read. What is wrong with going after NE guys anyways? Didnt they just win the SB?? And Woody is one hell of a player.

Tatonka
03-01-2004, 07:22 AM

thanks for contributing ... :rolleyes:

Tatonka
03-01-2004, 07:23 AM
NE39.. thanks for the info.. i hope your right.

elltrain22
03-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Woody would be a very needed piece to our offense. We could have our first legitimate center since Kent Hull

Gunzlingr
03-01-2004, 08:35 AM
We could use all the help we can get, that is for sure.

eyedog
03-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Woody would be the best possible fa pickup for the Bills. If they can land him it would be outstanding. I know some people have been talking about getting him but I really didn't think they had a shot or would even try. He would be a huge signing. Keep clearing cap space and get Woody in here.

TigerJ
03-01-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm skeptical about the notion of a side deal already in place. My impression of TD is that while he is very sharp at using league rules to his advantage, he is very much by the book. If league rules forbid negotiation before a certain date, I really don't think he would do it. Is there anyone who has knowledge of TD dealings when he was with the Steelers either to correct me or back me up?

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 09:38 AM
The only two questions raised about Woody are shotgun snapping and weight/conditioning. IMO, the first is an issue, the 2nd is not.

As for shotgun snapping, Woody struggled with it badly early in his career, to the point where Belichick/Weis decided to remove the formation entirely from the offense a few games into the 2000 season (despite the fact that the Pats had trouble protecting the passer and Bledsoe liked shotgun). He has not been called upon to do it in a game since then, although he claims to have worked on it each offseason and wants to try it again. However, at worst, he is a very athletic OG, still a top OL.

Weight and conditioning have been raised about Woody ever since Boston College. Woody's greatest strength is his athleticism, which is rare in a guy as big as he is. However, he tends to balloon up in the offseason and comes into camp heavy. This has always been a bone of contention with Belichick, who has fined him heavily for being overweight. Woody is an effective player if he keeps his weight under 330#, but the Pats wanted him to get down to 315#.

That said, I have seen Woody in person and he isn't a doughboy. He is naturally big and very strong. He works very hard and even the times he has been overweight at the start of camp, he works himself back into shape quickly. This is more of the case of a guy that likes to relax a little before the seasons starts, but he lifts hard each offseason and plays himself into shape quickly.

The Spaz
03-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Weight and conditioning have been raised about Woody ever since Boston College. Woody's greatest strength is his athleticism, which is rare in a guy as big as he is. However, he tends to balloon up in the offseason and comes into camp heavy. This has always been a bone of contention with Belichick, who has fined him heavily for being overweight. Woody is an effective player if he keeps his weight under 330#, but the Pats wanted him to get down to 315#.

If he comes here he will be in dieting boot camp with Rusty Jones and Brad Roll that's for sure!:up::beer:

eyedog
03-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Well that is exactly what the Bills need in the interior of their o-line, a big heavy,athletic body. Woody playing at 325lbs will help stop the bullrushing and blitzing up the middle that took place all last season. As good as some people think Ruben Brown is, his problem is he is on the small side and gets bullrushed by the big d-tackles.

ShadowHawk7
03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Well, it seems that RB is cut now, even tho i still think we needed him. This makes us NEED Woody more than ever. Even tho Brown isn't quite Pro Bowl caliber anymore, he still is a vital part in our line that won't be replaced easily if Woody is our center. Brown is a great leader that wanted to play for no one but Buffalo. People like that, u gotta keep, he still has a couple good years in him. I'm all for restucturing his contract tho.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Maybe Reuben ends up in NE, replacing Woody, who ends up in Buffalo.

ryven
03-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by NE39
Maybe Reuben ends up in NE, replacing Woody, who ends up in Buffalo.

Wouldn't that be funny?

Michael82
03-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by ryven
Wouldn't that be funny?

Then I'd be praying he keeps up the false starts, holding and the offsides. :mad:

nolimit
03-01-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that this deal is as good as done. Here's why. In the press conference today TD made another "stay tuned" statement when asked if they would be the first team out of the gates to sign a player. He said soemthing like " stay by your cell phones" and smirked. I think this is a done deal.

Romes
03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Since when has any rumor from profootballtalk.com been true...

Bert102176
03-01-2004, 02:04 PM
but how long before his knee is all healed and he is ready to play?

TedMock
03-01-2004, 02:05 PM
that's my question.......how's the knee?

hintexas
03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
maybe the Bills are not talking to him but what stops Lawyer Milloy from talking to anyone?

helmetguy
03-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
Then I'd be praying he keeps up the false starts, holding and the offsides. :mad:

Offsides? That was Bruce and Smerlas.

Michael82
03-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by nolimit
I'm pretty sure that this deal is as good as done. Here's why. In the press conference today TD made another "stay tuned" statement when asked if they would be the first team out of the gates to sign a player. He said soemthing like " stay by your cell phones" and smirked. I think this is a done deal.

That's what made me wonder too! I think TD is not talking with him, but will have his number ready to dial right at 12am ET on March 3rd. :D

The_Philster
03-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Offsides? That was Bruce and Smerlas.

Yeah...even after they left they got called for it. :D

helmetguy
03-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Yeah...even after they left they got called for it. :D

Reputations die hard, don't they?

BTW, "Night Train" is wondering if you're still alive. He called last night.

Throne Logic
03-01-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm sure "tampering" goes on all the time. How else would you stay competative with all the other teams who are most likely "tampering"? I would also be willing to bet that there are no phone records or other evidence of discussions.

We'll know if Woody officially becomes a bill at 12:05 AM, March 3rd. More than likely, they'll have a meeting scheduled for first thing in the morning to "hammer out the details".

My big question here: If Woody is, in fact, being brought in as a center, why cut Ruben before Teague, or cut both? Teague's too expensive for a backup.

Dozerdog
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Romes
Since when has any rumor from profootballtalk.com been true...

That what's troublesome. I want Woody- this dooms the deal. I guess he likes playing for the Bills new Head Coach, George Siefert

Originally posted by Throne Logic
I'm sure "tampering" goes on all the time. How else would you stay competative with all the other teams who are most likely "tampering"? I would also be willing to bet that there are no phone records or other evidence of discussions.

We'll know if Woody officially becomes a bill at 12:05 AM, March 3rd. More than likely, they'll have a meeting scheduled for first thing in the morning to "hammer out the details".

My big question here: If Woody is, in fact, being brought in as a center, why cut Ruben before Teague, or cut both? Teague's too expensive for a backup.

I always wondered how Posey got signed so quick.

BTW- at the Brown prss conference, WNSA (Simon) said that TD was asked by the media if he plans on retaining his "Crown" as quickest to sign - TD smiled and refused comment- but added "Keep your Cell Phones on"

Marino13Phins
03-01-2004, 04:27 PM
SI is also saying woody is gonna be a phin. don't put any stock into anything until it shakes out.

Mr. Cynical
03-01-2004, 06:45 PM
If they get woody they can move teague to his original spot at LT. He was actually a pretty good player in Denver before GW screwed him up forcing him to play center.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Woody's knee is not a concern. The injury was only a partial tear of his MCL. That isn't a very severe knee injury.

The doctors said he would not need surgery and the knee would heal fine with 6 weeks of rehab. Larry Centers suffered the exact same injury last year against the Giants, and he returned to the Pats in about 8 weeks.

The_Philster
03-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by kal123
If they get woody they can move teague to his original spot at LT. He was actually a pretty good player in Denver before GW screwed him up forcing him to play center.

Or maybe Teague could plug up that gaping hole we now have at LG.

The Spaz
03-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by kal123

He only started 1 year at left tackle for the Broncos I beleive and the Broncos didn't bother matching any offers for him so you wonder how good he really is. I don't think he is Better than Jennings or Williams.