PDA

View Full Version : This is outragious IMO

Thailog80
03-02-2004, 07:08 AM
This is outragious. Does this mean they have to let Northcutt become a FA also and then give Cleveland compensation also?TO (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1748636)

BIGDAWG
03-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Hey Thailog-good to see you over here...been great since I switched

Thailog80
03-02-2004, 07:15 AM
I visit both sites.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-02-2004, 07:23 AM
I don't know why more of you don't listen to me.[I]I will say that

Posted 2/27 "his appeal will overturn that mistake. He will become a free agent.[I]

Dozerdog
03-02-2004, 07:28 AM
The Union can go to hell-

Earthquake Enyart
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
The Union can go to hell-

:rofl:

I remember when Angelo first took over the Bears, some FA left that entitled them to compensation, and the Bears forgot to check the compensation box on the form and got nothing.

It should be a two way street. If TO's agent f'ed up, too bad.

don137
03-02-2004, 08:05 AM
I agree with EE. Why should the 49ers be rewarded and the other 31 teams be penalized by selecting one spot lower because TO's agent F'ed up

SABURZFAN
03-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

:rofl:

I remember when Angelo first took over the Bears, some FA left that entitled them to compensation, and the Bears forgot to check the compensation box on the form and got nothing.

It should be a two way street. If TO's agent f'ed up, too bad.

this may be a different situation though EE.i heard that the deadline was moved up 10 days and that TO and his agent were not notified by anybody.if that is the case,they have a legitimate beef.

helmetguy
03-02-2004, 08:24 AM
I can see where the 'Niners would be entitled to some sort of compensation. It wasn't their screw up and, if the NFLPA wins its grievance, then the 'Niners are forced to fill a hole that they normally wouldn't have. That is, had Trouble Owens filed the paperwork on time, they could have begun to address the situation much earlier. Trouble basically screws them if he gets to walk anyway. He still carries a hefty salary, which kinda hamstrings the 'Niners but, considering how unhappy he is there, he should be required to stay there antyway. Make the jerk be accountable for his and his agent's own stupidity.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2004, 08:28 AM
BS. The Niners should've been prepared to fill that hole anyways. It's not like TO had ever kept it a secret that he wanted out. The paperwork was really just a formality. Yes the agent f'ed up and should've filed it, but the Niners should've known all along that there was going to be a hole to fill and should've started looking long ago.

Bulldog
03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

this may be a different situation though EE.i heard that the deadline was moved up 10 days and that TO and his agent were not notified by anybody.if that is the case,they have a legitimate beef.

For the amount of money these agents make, it is their job to know the exact date of the deadline. I agree with don137, why should the other 31 teams be penalized because TO's agent messed up.

Bulldog
03-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
I can see where the 'Niners would be entitled to some sort of compensation. It wasn't their screw up and, if the NFLPA wins its grievance, then the 'Niners are forced to fill a hole that they normally wouldn't have. That is, had Trouble Owens filed the paperwork on time, they could have begun to address the situation much earlier. Trouble basically screws them if he gets to walk anyway. He still carries a hefty salary, which kinda hamstrings the 'Niners but, considering how unhappy he is there, he should be required to stay there antyway. Make the jerk be accountable for his and his agent's own stupidity.

Why should the 49ers be entitled to any compensation? Had the paperwork been filed on time, TO would have been a free agent and the 49ers wouldn't have gotten anything in return anyway. And the comment about his "heafty salary" hamstringing the 49ers is not accurate either. If TO voids the final three years of the contract, the 49ers will owe TO nothing and he will not count a dime towards their salary cap.

SABURZFAN
03-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog

For the amount of money these agents make, it is their job to know the exact date of the deadline. I agree with don137, why should the other 31 teams be penalized because TO's agent messed up.

owens claims that his agent WASN'T informed about the date being moved up.if that is the case,why should san francisco be compensated for anything?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1746250

don137
03-02-2004, 08:52 AM

owens claims that his agent WASN'T informed about the date being moved up.if that is the case,why should san francisco be compensated for anything?

It's not like TO hid the fact that he was going to void the remaining years on the contract and be a FA. To try and get the #33 overall pick is ludicrous. Maybe give them an extra pick at the end of round 3 but no way the #33 overall...

Bulldog
03-02-2004, 09:15 AM

If you are an agent and your client is going to be one of the most sought after FA on the market, shouldn't you do the necessary homework and research to ensure your client that opportunity? I am pretty sure the fact that the deadline was moved up ten days was clearly stated in the corresponding paperwork.

Gunzlingr
03-02-2004, 09:41 AM
they shouldn't get squat in my opinion. What a crock!

Michael82
03-02-2004, 10:09 AM
It's #33 overall because, that was a pick that was forfeited by the Houston Texans when they selected RB Tony Hollings in the 2003 supplemental draft.

Michael82
03-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
It's #33 overall because, that was a pick that was forfeited by the Houston Texans when they selected RB Tony Hollings in the 2003 supplemental draft.

I still don't understand why the 49ers deserve that high of a pick tho. They wouldn't have been able to get that high of a pick if they traded him. :shakeno:

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2004, 10:15 AM
They want compensation? Give them the Mr. Irrelevant pick.

Michael82
03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
They want compensation? Give them the Mr. Irrelevant pick.

:lol:

helmetguy
03-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Okay, after a couple of cups of coffee, I think I have the answer.

As it stands, no other team is allowed to negotiate with any player under contract with another team. That is, TO is still under contract for another three years with San Fran, so nobody can negotiate with him but San Fran. Had TO filed the paperwork on time, then he would be just like any other Free Agent and all the rules that apply there would be in effect. Where it gets sticky is that it would be TO, and not San Fran, who breeched the current contract. Should TO be granted Free Agent status anyway-in violation of the contract-the other 31 teams are obtaining rights that they wouldn't ordinarily have. By gaining the right to negotiate with TO (at the expense of San Fran's contractural rights to TO) then the other 31 teams are compensating San Fran for that right. It follows, then, that since TO is considered one of the best players at his position, the other 31 teams would be expected to compensate San Fran for the possibility of obtaining him. The lynchpin to the whole thing, though, is that TO and the NFLPA are the ones breaking the contract, not San Fran, and any one of 31 teams potentially gain from the breech of contract.

Throne Logic
03-02-2004, 10:55 AM
If I were one of the other 31 teams, I'd be looking to file a collective grievence against all of this. Basically, what's the point of having a clause in a contact if the union can just step in and override it?

They missed the deadline. Period. If I missed a deadline on any one of the million things the ordinary human has to do, I'm fairly certain that I'd be stuck with the consequences. This should simply be a situation where TO is a 49er. Their's to keep, trade, or whatever.

Now, if I were TO's agent, I would have filed the paperwork back in September via certified mail, followed it up with a phone call, and hand delivered a notorized copy to both the 49ers and the NFL just in case the original got lost . . .

Here's my plan: Buffalo should sue the NFL to block Winfield from becoming a free agent because it would dramatically hurt their secondary unit. Maybe we could get the #34 overall as compensation in return for Winfield being allowed to hit the FA market.

helmetguy
03-02-2004, 12:04 PM
What happened, Throne, is that the 'Niners and TO actually negotiated the out clause. I agree, TO should have to stay with the 'niners because his agent screwed up, or so it looks. It is entirely possible that the deadline was moved up. If this were to go to court, the judge would also take into account the earliest possible date that TO was able to file his intentions. In otherwords, the court would be saying, "Mr. Owens, you had more than ample opportunity to act long before the deadline date and failed to do so. Therefore, you must remain with San Fran. Period." Like I said earlier, San Fran gets compensated only if the NFLPA prevails. The plan is already covered by the CBA. Winfield's situation is different, in that his Free Agent status was part of the CBA. TO's was part of the additional personal services contract a player signs with a team.