PDA

View Full Version : Here's the top free agent Guards, IMO...

Michael82
03-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Top 5 young UFA's
Damien Woody 26 (New England Patriots)
Jeno James 27 (Carolina Panthers)
Cosey Coleman 25 (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
Travis Claridge 25 (Atlanta Falcons)
Matt Stinchcomb 26 (Oakland Raiders)

RFA's that I wouldn't mind...
Ryan Diem 24 (Indianapolis Colts RFA that will require comp.)
Rick Demulling 26 (Indianapolis Colts RFA that will require comp.)

UFA's that are solid, but 30 or over...
Chris Villarrial 30 (Chicago Bears)
Mike Compton 33 (New England Patriots)

SABURZFAN
03-02-2004, 12:39 PM
let's not forget that carey,smiley,snee,and peterman are available for the draft too.i'd like to see us land one of these guys.

ryven
03-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Damien Woody (the fact that he is a probowler helps)

Jeno James (carolina kept delhome pretty healthy last year)

Matt Stinchcomb (I have just heard good things about him)

My two picks if we can get them is Woody and James.

The Spaz
03-02-2004, 12:41 PM
If we were able to get 2 of those younger guys I would be happy as hell!:up::beer:

Michael82
03-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
let's not forget that carey,smiley,snee,and peterman are available for the draft too.i'd like to see us land one of these guys.

I'd be happy signing Woody in FA, Bober as a quick first day signing and then drafting Snee or someone else in the 2nd round. Carey will be taken after our pick, and should not be picked #13 overall, IMO.

Michael82
03-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ryven
Damien Woody (the fact that he is a probowler helps)

Jeno James (carolina kept delhome pretty healthy last year)

Matt Stinchcomb (I have just heard good things about him)

My two picks if we can get them is Woody and James.

I would have a heart attack if we were able to sign both of them and I bet Drew Bledsoe would be celebrating like crazy! He'd finally have someone to protect him! Henry and McGahee will also have HUGE smiles. Both guards and very solid with the run! :up:

ryven
03-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

I would have a heart attack if we were able to sign both of them and I bet Drew Bledsoe would be celebrating like crazy! He'd finally have someone to protect him! Henry and McGahee will also have HUGE smiles. Both guards and very solid with the run! :up:

Then pick up bober(sp?) we would have a solid line, but I dont think that will happen so if we could pick up those two guards and get grove in the draft that would make me happy.

The Spaz
03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ryven

Then pick up bober(sp?) we would have a solid line, but I dont think that will happen so if we could pick up those two guards and get grove in the draft that would make me happy.

If we were able to get 2 good guards I could live with Teague at center for now.

cordog
03-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Didnt Jennings play C in college?

NC-BILLS44
03-02-2004, 01:37 PM
one game at center his sophomore year

Started at guard, tackle and center over his final three years at Georgia…finished his career with the most starting assignments on the Bulldogs roster (34)…was a Football News All-America honorable mention selection in 2000 as well as an All-Southeastern Conference first-team choice by the league's coaches, Football News and The Sporting News…started all year at left tackle…in 1999, shifted to left offensive tackle from guard, starting in every game…started eight games at right guard in 1998 and the season finale vs. Georgia Tech at center…saw action in 11 games in 1997 as a tackle after red-shirting as a freshman in 1996.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Diem and Demulling were both tendered at a 1st-round level by Indy.

Michael82
03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by NE39
Diem and Demulling were both tendered at a 1st-round level by Indy.

Yeah, I just saw that! Damn! :mad:

The Indianapolis Star reports it's likely the Indianapolis Colts will issue tender offers of $1.368 million to OG Rick DeMulling. The offer carries first-round draft-pick compensation should DeMulling sign with another team and the Colts do not match the offer.

The Indianapolis Star reports it's likely the Indianapolis Colts will issue tender offers of $1.368 million to OT Ryan Diem. The offer carries first-round draft-pick compensation should Diem sign with another team and the Colts do not match the offer.

Novacane
03-02-2004, 02:50 PM
49ers cut Ron Stone today. He would be a decent older guy if we can't get the young guys.

The Spaz
03-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
49ers cut Ron Stone today. He would be a decent older guy if we can't get the young guys.

As in prehistoric isn't he?:cheers:

Novacane
03-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

As in prehistoric isn't he?:cheers:

Would not be my first choice but would be a solid veteran choice over Tucker and Pussywillow.

The Spaz
03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Would not be my first choice but would be a solid veteran choice over Tucker and Pussywillow.

Oh I thought he was older than that.:couch:

Ickybaluky
03-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Actually, Derrick Deese would not be a bad option for an older, stopgap guy. Deese is a very good pass blocking OT, but he has played OG a lot in the past as well. He is a good player, and versatile, and because he is a little older won't cost top money.

I like Deese as a guy who can start at OG or OT to fill a hole while a younger guy develops. Good option for the Pats as well, now that I think of it.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2004, 06:56 PM
If we are talking about stop gap players like Stone and Deese why the Hell didn't we keep Brown, Especially if he would take a pay cut????

Ickybaluky
03-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I think part of what makes Deese so valuable is his versatility. He has played all 5 OL positions at one point or another. Probably not as big an OG as Buffalo might be looking for, but a very good player.