PDA

View Full Version : Bills Shopping List

The_Philster
03-02-2004, 02:56 PM
By Mark Weiler, Bills Report
This offseason promises to be extremely interesting for Bills fans. It will quite likely be even more interesting than last season's was. It is certainly far more pivotal given the circumstances that have brought the Bills to the point where they currently are. As usual, the Bills along with every other team will begin the zero-sum optimization exercise in attempting to fit a competitive team under NFL salary cap constraints.

Last season the Bills tended to overpay for "brand names" in apparent efforts to 'one-up' division rival New England and presumably to sell tickets. The effort fell flat however as the Bills actually regressed from 8-8 the season prior to 6-10. ...
more (http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/238998.html)

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
With somebody else posting Wys' stuff circumvents the Ignore system.

Maybe I'll just have to put Phil on ignore.

:mad:

Michael82
03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

:lol:

The Spaz
03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
I don't want to here about WYS he is gone and I am happy about that.

The Spaz
03-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Wow that's a lot of spew and I just glanced at it.

Novacane
03-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Wow that's a lot of spew and I just glanced at it.

Sometimes the truth is not fun to read. Bledsoe should be shown the door. The keep Travis Brown stuff was BS though. I still don't know Wys loves him so much.

The Natrix
03-02-2004, 03:18 PM
The only thing I really disagree with is starting McGee at CB. Not only is he questionable, but who will be the #3 CB?

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
The only thing I really disagree with is starting McGee at CB. Not only is he questionable, but who will be the #3 CB?
Kevin Thomas.

mypoorfriendme
03-02-2004, 05:08 PM
personally, i kinda miss Wys :snicker:

helmetguy
03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Another 30,000 words without really saying anything.

SABURZFAN
03-02-2004, 08:38 PM
blake wasn't mentioned???:eek:

SoCalBillsFan
03-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Ok, I don't want to throw more flames on the fire...

But wys wasn't that dumb. At the beginning of the season, when most everyone here loved bledsoe and thought we were a 10-6 team at worst, WYs was one of the few guys saying otherwise. Turns out he was right on a lot of things. He even talked about how our OL wasn't that good, and the rest of us adamently disagreed with him. Cut him some slack.

TedMock
03-03-2004, 09:58 AM
I actually got to meet Wys last season and he is a nice guy. He's also a very intelligent football fan whom I have a lot of respect for in that realm. My only beef with his posts and articles (whether or not he's right or wrong) are that they always seem to turn into a Bledsoe article. I guess I'm just sick of hearing about Bledsoe. I still believe that he's not as bad as half the people say he is and he's not as good as the other half says he is. No more, no less. Let's just get this free agency thing going then our next stop.......April 24th!

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2004, 10:24 AM
I will tell you what. I disagreed with WYS as much as anyone but without him to argue with I get bored.

Earthquake Enyart
03-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Believe me, the boards are 80% better with phil on ignore. :up:

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Dozerdog
03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
He takes a good football eye and then decides to add the "Front Office Fiction" to it.

Every thing ids a conspiracy, a face saving move, or a ploy to sell tickets and shirts before winning.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
Ok, I don't want to throw more flames on the fire...

But wys wasn't that dumb. At the beginning of the season, when most everyone here loved bledsoe and thought we were a 10-6 team at worst, WYs was one of the few guys saying otherwise. Turns out he was right on a lot of things. He even talked about how our OL wasn't that good, and the rest of us adamently disagreed with him. Cut him some slack.

Uhh, I like Wys as a friend, but IMO...he has been more wrong than right on a bunch of things. Examples...Travis Henry (didn't like him and prefered Bryson to start. Josh Reed (thought he was going to be even better than Price and looked terrible last year, especially at the beginning. Travis Brown (I still don't see what he sees in him) Mike Pucillo (How can you consider him a starting RG? Wys said he improved last year, I agree somewhat. He went from ****ty to just bad.) He thinks that Dave Moore was a good TE last year. I didn't see that. Too many drops and too old. I'd prefer Bruener over Moore anyday.

LtBillsFan66
03-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Sometimes it's more disturbing who he LOVES rather than who he hates.

Why the heck is he so in love with Mark Campbell?

I don't get it at all. He also loved Rob Johnson and Shawn Bryson of I remember right.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Sometimes it's more disturbing who he LOVES rather than who he hates.

Why the heck is he so in love with Mark Campbell?

I don't get it at all. He also loved Rob Johnson and Shawn Bryson of I remember right.

I agree with him on Campbell! He's a helluva player! I love the way he gets up after taking all those hits and he still has the ball. He does a good job of taking a pounding, but still holding on. :up:

TigerJ
03-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Rather thqan critique Mark Weiler, who doesn't care what I think of him anyway, let me give my shopping list, as if anyone cares. LOL

On offence

1. Offensive Line - The Bills already look like they are addressing this with the rumored pursuit of Damien Woody. That's OK though a cheaper alternative would be Chris Bober. Woody will be expensive, but the contract can be structured in a way that is cap friendly at least near term (long term deal with a significant bonus and a low first year salary). I think Buffalo will probably look for one more acquisition, though that may be a day two draft choice. Buffalo also hopes (with good reason) that they will get improved pay out of their younger linemen with Jom McNally as their position coach.

Tight End - The departure of Dave Moore creates a small hole. Players like Moore come pretty cheap, but if Buffalo wants to add some speed to the position, it will be more challenging. Kellen Winslow will likely be out of reach, so one viable alternative might be Ben Watson, who has good, not great, speed and plenty of strength. He is the subject of a current debate about whether he would be a second or third round pick. Bruener, from Pittsburgh would not cost a lot, but doesn't really bring more to the table than Moore. If Buffalo doesn't get Watson in the draft, then they can always get a guy with decent hands and decent blocking later on (Jason Peters?) and they will have ended up saving some cap money over Moore.

3. Wide Receiver - I think the draft will and should be Buffalo's primary focus for this position. It is a deep, deep draft for WRs. Buffalo can almost certainly land an impact WR in round one (Reggie Henderson) or a speedy guy with potential later on (Devery Henderson?). There isn't much in free agency, Darrell Jackson, who has questions about his hands, and Tai Streets are about it.

4. Quarterback - Yes, I said last November that I thought it was time for Buffalo to go in a different direction and let Drew Bledsoe go in the offseason. I have no desire to beat a dead horse. For now Drew is still here and looks like he will be next fall. I think Buffalo will be well served by looking in the draft for a young guy to develop. There have been posters putting out every name in the draft for a Buffalo QB project. Phil Rivers may not even last until Buffalo's first round pick, and if Buffalo plans on starting Bledsoe next season, and has any hopes of making and doing damage in the playoffs, they really need to pick a player who is going to be starting in the fall. My pick for a second tier guy with upside is Jeff Smoker.

On defence:

1. Defensive end: This is something of a mystery. As fans most of us agree that Ryan Denney is a bust. He has shown some ability to stop the run however. The question is can he be part of a successful platoon system at LDE? If so, than who plays passing downs? Chris Kelsay is certainly a candidate. He received his first year pass last season, and did show some ability to get after the passer twoard the end of the season. I'm personally not very comfortable with too much situational substitution because it invites the offence to take advantage. In particular, Ryan Denny is still going to be unable to pressure the QB when he passes on first down. It looks like it will be tough to find a full time LDE in the draft after the first round. Buffalo should maybe look at Jason Hall, a DE just released by Detroit, who had a modest 4 sacks last season, but is a run stopper with some upside as a pass rusher. If he escapes us, then Kenechi Udeze might be had in the first round. Otherwise we may have to go with status quo and hope that time continues to help Denney get a little better at least, and Kelsay pushes him.

2. Cornerback - Sign Ahmed Plummer to give Buffalo a little more time to develop Kevin Thomas and Terrence McGee.

3. Safety - Try Coy Wire at free safety and draft a true free safety on day two. Keep Prioleau and Reese for now, but make them compete for their roster spot.

LtBillsFan66
03-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
I agree with him on Campbell! He's a helluva player! I love the way he gets up after taking all those hits and he still has the ball. He does a good job of taking a pounding, but still holding on. :up:

I like him too, but he's nowhere near a top TE in the league. Come friggin' on!!!!

Valerie
03-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ Rather thqan critique Mark Weiler, who doesn't care what I think of him anyway, let me give my shopping list, as if anyone cares. LOL
:clap: Finally someone who understands the concept behind posting the article. It's to debate what the Bills need and/or don't need. Not to critique the author. lol

LtBillsFan66
03-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Who's to say what and why and how we should post.

BTW, I like your plan Tiger.