PDA

View Full Version : Chargers to release Marcellus Wiley

Michael82
03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
The Chargers will announce this afternoon that they have released former Pro Bowl defensive end Marcellus Wiley.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer informed Wiley of the decision late this morning, saying the team believed it was time to move in another direction.

Wiley was the team's marquee free-agent signing in 2001, when he agreed to a potential $40 million deal that included a $9 million signing bonus. But since recording 13 sacks in 14 games and going to the Pro Bowl at the end of that season, he has totalled only nine sacks the past two seasons.

Thailog80
03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
I would be for it. Better than RD. If the price was right we should think about it.

ScottLawrence
03-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Hell yea, I would bringh im back in...... Hes still descent, he was naged by injuries all year long.

Romes
03-02-2004, 03:23 PM
I'd bring him back. He was always solid in the community and he did produce while he was here.

Then again TD talks as if we don't need a DE.

Michael82
03-02-2004, 03:26 PM
TD has too big of an ego to bring him back.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
How old is Wiley? Didn't he talk a lot of trash about the Bills when he left?

Oh no, that was Cowart wasn't it? :D

Bring him back if he's healthy!!!

Novacane
03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

I'm not real high on TD right now but I don't know why people say that. He will bring in who he thinks will best help us win.

The Spaz
03-02-2004, 03:31 PM

It's business not ego.

Dozerdog
03-02-2004, 03:39 PM
The Chargers will announce this afternoon that they have released former Pro Bowl defensive end Marcellus Wiley.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer informed Wiley of the decision late this morning, saying the team believed it was time to move in another direction.

Wiley was the team's marquee free-agent signing in 2001, when he agreed to a potential $40 million deal that included a $9 million signing bonus. But since recording 13 sacks in 14 games and going to the Pro Bowl at the end of that season, he has totalled only nine sacks the past two seasons.

As i stated in the various "WTF about the Skins" threads- these players won't see the end of their deals- here's proof

I don't understand his comment

TD didn't sign Rob Johnson to a cap unfreindly deal, or Fina, or Riemersma, or Brown, or half the team in a binge to try to win the 1999 Super Bowl. John Butler did.

With a suffocating cap and your best players up in FA'cy, TD could not afford to keep Wiley, or 2 dozen other Bills.

He chose to keep Eric Moulds instead. Would you rather we kept Willey or Moulds?

The Natrix
03-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Romes

TD talks as if we don't need a DE.

He's right, we don't.

I just don't see why this is the year to get that DE. You can talk all you want about lack of turnovers, but the D was still number 2. Besides, Winfield's replacement will be better than Antoine when it comes to hands and putting himself in a position to make a pick.

Did you really expect Kelsay to come in and make a huge impact? Besides being a rookie, he also was competing with a guy who was in his second year. It was time for Denney to get his shot. This year Kelsay will get his and he deserves it. Have some patience. If neither produce this season, then the following offseason is the time to make a big push for that spot.

There are just to many holes on this team to pursue a luxury pick like DE. With 3/4 of the d-line proven, the line as a whole is solid, as evidenced by the last 3 games of the season. They were getting good penetration.

If the Bills do get a DE, I would much rather it be through the draft. If a starting CB and a starting DE were signed, where is the room to fix the crappy O-line. O=line is priority #1, considering BLEDSOE is going to start, since TD is to proud to admit that Bledsoe is a bust.

Michael82
03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
As i stated in the various "WTF about the Skins" threads- these players won't see the end of their deals- here's proof

I don't understand his comment

TD didn't sign Rob Johnson to a cap unfreindly deal, or Fina, or Riemersma, or Brown, or half the team in a binge to try to win the 1999 Super Bowl. John Butler did.

With a suffocating cap and your best players up in FA'cy, TD could not afford to keep Wiley, or 2 dozen other Bills.

He chose to keep Eric Moulds instead. Would you rather we kept Willey or Moulds?

I guess I put it the wrong way. I don't think TD is the kind of guy that would re-sign a player that he already made a decision about and decided to let them go. Plus, you gotta wonder if Wiley felt hurt by the Bills when they kept Moulds and let him leave.

The Natrix
03-02-2004, 03:44 PM

Nonsense. It was either Moulds or Wiley. The choice was clear.

TD won't bring him back, because he is smart. He knows it would be a bad move to add a somewhat expensive DE to an already #2 defense.

Dozerdog
03-02-2004, 03:47 PM
I guess I put it the wrong way. I don't think TD is the kind of guy that would re-sign a player that he already made a decision about and decided to let them go. Plus, you gotta wonder if Wiley felt hurt by the Bills when they kept Moulds and let him leave.

He brought back Gash- former Bill not resigned. Players play where they can get their money.

Michael82
03-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
He brought back Gash- former Bill not resigned. Players play where they can get their money.

Gash was not let go by him. Was he?

The_Philster
03-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Gash was not let go by him. Was he?

No...he left following the 99 season

Throne Logic
03-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Wiley plays the Right side. Not sure if I'd want to put him on the left.

TigerJ
03-02-2004, 05:10 PM
I think Wiley might be able to play the left side. I don't think it's unthinkable for TD to bring him back. A lot will depend on the market. He's had a couple of sub-par seasons. I don't know how much that drives his market value down. If TD could sign him for a couple million a year it might be worth it.

Wiley's contract did not have a huge bonus considering the size of the contract. I don't know what the length of the contract is, but if it was say 5 years and he's played 3 years of it, their cap hit would be in the vicinity of 3.6 million versus possibly 7.6 million had they kept him next year.

The contract rumored to be offered to Kearse when free agency begins has a 20 million bonus. If that is a five year contract and he plays three, Washington is stuck with an 8 million cap hit and no player to show for it.

The_Philster
03-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I think Wiley might be able to play the left side.

He did, after all, play LDE in nickel and dime situations here in Buffalo before BRUCE left.

mypoorfriendme
03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
hes only 29 and i think TD will bring in who ever he thinks will help us win. if he thinks wiley can still produce and actually fix a problem (which may or may not exist) and the money is right, wiley will be a bill. i agree with one of the posts and i dont know how willing TD is going to be to spend money on upgrading a number 2 defense

HAMMER
03-02-2004, 05:57 PM
I can't believe this is even being discussed. Wiley collected his signing bonus and "checked out", he got his payday. He is lazzzzy, I don't want this guy back.

Our DE's will be very strong this year. Why do so many Bills Fans think a new player needs to be replaced after a year or two of mediocre production. Give them a chance to develop, the NFL is a difficult place to play and not very many rookies come in and light it up. Same goes for Mike Williams, he will get it, just give him a chance.

Throne Logic
03-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

He did, after all, play LDE in nickel and dime situations here in Buffalo before BRUCE left.

Yeah, I remember.

The world nearly ended on the various message boards when Bruce was released. "Who's gonna take Bruce's place? Wiley!?!? HAAAA. He's been here for two years and hasn't done S*$T!"

I figure it partially related to a weak ability to come around the Left side and partially related to experience. Either way, I'm not sure he'd be the best signing for the LE position. Especially when you take a look at other FA's we could use in other areas. Toss in the draft prospects, too.

ScottLawrence
03-02-2004, 06:57 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind signing him if he comes cheap.

thenry20
03-02-2004, 07:37 PM

How do you know this?

Are you sleeping with the man? Or have his bedroom or offices bugged??

thenry20
03-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
hes only 29 and i think TD will bring in who ever he thinks will help us win. if he thinks wiley can still produce and actually fix a problem (which may or may not exist) and the money is right, wiley will be a bill. i agree with one of the posts and i dont know how willing TD is going to be to spend money on upgrading a number 2 defense

I agree with you assessment about upgrading the defense but you forget to mention that we have to replace Winfield!

That is a huge hole to plug! We need someone as good as he was to maintain our dominance on this side of the ball. A rookie just isn't gonna do the trick. Unless of course this rookie corner turns out to be another Antoine or Nate.

That's prob not gonna happen to us 3 times in a row!

NC-BILLS44
03-02-2004, 07:57 PM
If the price is right and he's healthy, they should look into bringing him in.

Bert102176
03-03-2004, 01:57 AM
I would like him back