X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Chargers to release Marcellus Wiley

The Chargers will announce this afternoon that they have released former Pro Bowl defensive end Marcellus Wiley.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer informed Wiley of the decision late this morning, saying the team believed it was time to move in another direction.

Wiley was the team's marquee free-agent signing in 2001, when he agreed to a potential $40 million deal that included a $9 million signing bonus. But since recording 13 sacks in 14 games and going to the Pro Bowl at the end of that season, he has totalled only nine sacks the past two seasons.
  • Thailog80
    Im not a chick!
    • Apr 2003

Marcellis Wiley cut in SD

I would be for it. Better than RD. If the price was right we should think about it.

"Let's Roll"
    Todd Beamer
    Flight 93
    9/11/01

Comment

• ScottLawrence
      • Jan 2004

Hell yea, I would bringh im back in...... Hes still descent, he was naged by injuries all year long.
      You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Romes
        • Jul 2002

I'd bring him back. He was always solid in the community and he did produce while he was here.

Then again TD talks as if we don't need a DE.
        Originally posted by paladin warrior
        RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

TD has too big of an ego to bring him back.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

How old is Wiley? Didn't he talk a lot of trash about the Bills when he left?

Oh no, that was Cowart wasn't it?

Bring him back if he's healthy!!!

Comment

• Fairway To Green
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82

I'm not real high on TD right now but I don't know why people say that. He will bring in who he thinks will best help us win.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

It's business not ego.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

The Chargers will announce this afternoon that they have released former Pro Bowl defensive end Marcellus Wiley.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer informed Wiley of the decision late this morning, saying the team believed it was time to move in another direction.

Wiley was the team's marquee free-agent signing in 2001, when he agreed to a potential $40 million deal that included a $9 million signing bonus. But since recording 13 sacks in 14 games and going to the Pro Bowl at the end of that season, he has totalled only nine sacks the past two seasons.

As i stated in the various "WTF about the Skins" threads- these players won't see the end of their deals- here's proof

I don't understand his comment

TD didn't sign Rob Johnson to a cap unfreindly deal, or Fina, or Riemersma, or Brown, or half the team in a binge to try to win the 1999 Super Bowl. John Butler did.

With a suffocating cap and your best players up in FA'cy, TD could not afford to keep Wiley, or 2 dozen other Bills.

He chose to keep Eric Moulds instead. Would you rather we kept Willey or Moulds?

Comment

• The Natrix
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes

TD talks as if we don't need a DE.
                    He's right, we don't.

I just don't see why this is the year to get that DE. You can talk all you want about lack of turnovers, but the D was still number 2. Besides, Winfield's replacement will be better than Antoine when it comes to hands and putting himself in a position to make a pick.

Did you really expect Kelsay to come in and make a huge impact? Besides being a rookie, he also was competing with a guy who was in his second year. It was time for Denney to get his shot. This year Kelsay will get his and he deserves it. Have some patience. If neither produce this season, then the following offseason is the time to make a big push for that spot.

There are just to many holes on this team to pursue a luxury pick like DE. With 3/4 of the d-line proven, the line as a whole is solid, as evidenced by the last 3 games of the season. They were getting good penetration.

If the Bills do get a DE, I would much rather it be through the draft. If a starting CB and a starting DE were signed, where is the room to fix the crappy O-line. O=line is priority #1, considering BLEDSOE is going to start, since TD is to proud to admit that Bledsoe is a bust.

Byrd.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      As i stated in the various "WTF about the Skins" threads- these players won't see the end of their deals- here's proof

I don't understand his comment

TD didn't sign Rob Johnson to a cap unfreindly deal, or Fina, or Riemersma, or Brown, or half the team in a binge to try to win the 1999 Super Bowl. John Butler did.

With a suffocating cap and your best players up in FA'cy, TD could not afford to keep Wiley, or 2 dozen other Bills.

He chose to keep Eric Moulds instead. Would you rather we kept Willey or Moulds?
                      I guess I put it the wrong way. I don't think TD is the kind of guy that would re-sign a player that he already made a decision about and decided to let them go. Plus, you gotta wonder if Wiley felt hurt by the Bills when they kept Moulds and let him leave.

Comment

• The Natrix
                        • Jul 2002

Nonsense. It was either Moulds or Wiley. The choice was clear.

TD won't bring him back, because he is smart. He knows it would be a bad move to add a somewhat expensive DE to an already #2 defense.

Byrd.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

I guess I put it the wrong way. I don't think TD is the kind of guy that would re-sign a player that he already made a decision about and decided to let them go. Plus, you gotta wonder if Wiley felt hurt by the Bills when they kept Moulds and let him leave.
                          He brought back Gash- former Bill not resigned. Players play where they can get their money.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                            He brought back Gash- former Bill not resigned. Players play where they can get their money.
                            Gash was not let go by him. Was he?

Comment

• The_Philster
                              • Jul 2002

Gash was not let go by him. Was he?
                              No...he left following the 99 season
                              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                              X