PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, the Pats could get #6 overall pick

Mr. Miyagi
03-03-2004, 08:41 AM
ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions are headed south. They haven't packed their bags yet, but they're trying to set up the travel itinerary.

Trades involving draft picks aren't usually completed until the day of the NFL draft, but the Lions are already entertaining offers for their overall No. 6 choice.

The New England Patriots have been in contact with the Lions about acquiring Detroit's first pick for New England's two first-rounders (21st and 32nd overall) and another lower-round choice.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/107831222561410.xml

Who would they pick? Sean Taylor? Winslow?

SABURZFAN
03-03-2004, 08:51 AM
i'm guessing s.jackson-RB.

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 08:54 AM
belichick has been quoted as saying that sean taylor is the best defender and best overall prospect in this entire draft.

i would puke if he moved up to get taylor.

no way he moves up to get jackson.. jackson or jones could easily fall... no one up top is really in dire need of a RB, except detriot.. and winslow will probably be gone by 6, but they have just used a first rounder on graham not long ago.. no way on winslow too.

if they move up.. it is for gallery or taylor.. thats it.

Dozerdog
03-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Or Mike Williams or Fitzgerald. They need a gamebreaker at WR.

I bet that's why they are talking now instead of on draft day. Any one of the 4 mentioned could or would be there at #6, if Manning and Big Ben go in the top 5

don137
03-03-2004, 09:00 AM
It would not surprise me to see NE move up if Taylor is available. I agree they do not move up to the #6 pick for a RB...I can't see Gallery dropping. He is the next Ogden or Boselli.

SABURZFAN
03-03-2004, 09:00 AM
i'm STILL guessing s.jackson-RB.:snicker:

baalworship
03-03-2004, 09:01 AM
I would bet it would be:

1. Sean Taylor (Belichick would LOVE his versatility and talent)

2.Mike Williams or Larry Fitzgerald

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 09:03 AM
i guess they could go wr.. for one of the big two.. but i just see them with alot of good young wrs already.. who run their passing scheme well.. they just used a high pick on bethyl johnson last year.. and they also have a great young player in dieon branch.. i dont see them going wr.

SABURZFAN
03-03-2004, 09:06 AM
i forgot about mike williams.can i change my guess?

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i forgot about mike williams.can i change my guess?

only to another rb.

elltrain22
03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
I hate to say, but NE is such a well run organization. I wish our management could make as good as decisions as the Pats front office does.

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
I hate to say, but NE is such a well run organization. I wish our management could make as good as decisions as the Pats front office does.

We do it's just we have had ass clowns as coaches!:down:

SABURZFAN
03-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

only to another rb.

:mad:

pats-were-right
03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
I agree that #6 is too high for Jackson, Jones, or any of the other RB's in this draft. I'm hearing that there's a whole lot of "solid" guys at RB in the draft but no superstars.

If we end up that high I just hope they pick the best non QB / non TE player available.

Billsouth
03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
what if we traded up to number 6 and eli manning fell. i am not sure that he will be drafted in the top 3. apparently the raiders are happy with the current qb situation and more pressing needs and the chargers are not ready to give up on brees just yet. i suspect that either manning or ben will be available at 6 and i am also confident that rivers will be available at 13. the question then becomes do we draft him or trade down to acquire another second?

i am just thinking aloud but the situation with henson seems similar to the bledsoe trade. remember when everyone suspected that we would trade for him but then we could not work out the details with the patsies so they started talking with other teams only to realize that our offer was the best deal, by far which justified sending him to a divisional rival.

Dozerdog
03-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i guess they could go wr.. for one of the big two.. but i just see them with alot of good young wrs already.. who run their passing scheme well.. they just used a high pick on bethyl johnson last year.. and they also have a great young player in dieon branch.. i dont see them going wr.

I can see them unloading Troy brown if /when he gets to expensive.

Mr. Miyagi
03-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Billsouth
apparently the raiders are happy with the current qb situation
Isn't RJ still on their roster?

Earthquake Enyart
03-03-2004, 09:22 AM
If the Pats make this trade now, who's to say they don't swap out of it for a #1 this year and next year?

Ickybaluky
03-03-2004, 09:27 AM
I don't think he will use that high a pick on a RB. Belichick has always favored going with a platoon system at RB. He has done it in NE, and he did it in Cleveland (Leroy Hoard, Eric Metcalf). He has had chances to take RB in the draft since he arrived here, and he has failed to take one higher than the 3rd round.

There are rumors going around that the Pats are looking into trading with St. Louis for RB Lamar Gordon. He would fit into a platoon system situation. If they trade for him, maybe sign a FA and use a mid-round draft pick or two, they may figure on finding a guy in the lot.

Don't rule out the possibility of DL. Ted Washington is out there, and Bobby Hamilton may not return. There is talk of converting Dan Klecko to LB. Anthony Pleasant and Rick Lyle are both probably retiring. They have some young DL they like (Jarvis Green, Ty Warren), but if they lose both Washington and Hamilton they may choose another guy.

STAMPY
03-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

spazz using a chris jericho line:bf1: ass clowns

Earthquake Enyart
03-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by NE39
I don't think he will use that high a pick on a RB. Belichick has always favored going with a platoon system at RB. He has done it in NE, and he did it in Cleveland (Leroy Hoard, Eric Metcalf). He has had chances to take RB in the draft since he arrived here, and he has failed to take one higher than the 3rd round.

There are rumors going around that the Pats are looking into trading with St. Louis for RB Lamar Gordon. He would fit into a platoon system situation. If they trade for him, maybe sign a FA and use a mid-round draft pick or two, they may figure on finding a guy in the lot.

Don't rule out the possibility of DL. Ted Washington is out there, and Bobby Hamilton may not return. There is talk of converting Dan Klecko to LB. Anthony Pleasant and Rick Lyle are both probably retiring. They have some young DL they like (Jarvis Green, Ty Warren), but if they lose both Washington and Hamilton they may choose another guy.

The Pats can get what they need by sitting where they are. It doesn't make a lot of sense to move up to 6 to get a stud that they need. It only makes sense for cap reasons.

You wait and see, somehow they end up with someone else's #1 next year when this is all over.

Mr. Miyagi
03-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

You wait and see, somehow they end up with someone else's #1 next year when this is all over.
That is scary and you may be right. It pisses me off that somehow they get multiple first round picks every freaking time. :madcloud:

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I can see them unloading Troy brown if /when he gets to expensive.

he was hardly a part of their team last year.. that is what i am saying.. they have a good group of wrs and that was without brown and patten.

Novacane
03-03-2004, 11:20 AM

True but they are not the ones who brought in the failure Bledsoe or Trey Teague that everyone here seems to hate or drafted Mike Williams at #4...............................................

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

True but they are not the ones who brought in the failure Bledsoe or Trey Teague that everyone here seems to hate or drafted Mike Williams at #4...............................................

I can agree that Bledsoe hasn't been stellar and liek I said he did bad and so did the rest of the team that's my feelings. I am not taking any blame away from Bledsoe. Teague hasn't been great but he has been a starter. Mike Williams I won't make a decision on until after this year that's just how I work after the rookie contract is up I do that.

Bert102176
03-03-2004, 11:53 AM
well that would just mean someone we are looking at could slip to us cause they want a RB perhaps a CB if they cut Law

don137
03-03-2004, 11:59 AM
The Pats may go DT...I heard that Big Ted is being courted by the Raiders and might sign with them soon...

Michael82
03-03-2004, 12:20 PM

:lol:

Out of curiousity...what the hell is up with everybody using the term "ass clown"? I keep seeing it on TSW and now on here. What the hell is an "ass clown"? LOL

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

:lol:

Out of curiousity...what the hell is up with everybody using the term "ass clown"? I keep seeing it on TSW and now on here. What the hell is an "ass clown"? LOL

Oh man, I could have fun with this, but I won't. :gag:

:snicker:

venis2k1
03-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

......or drafted Mike Williams at #4...............................................

would you rather if td got his way and we drafted joey "bust bust" harrington