PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Rapid Spending?

STAMPY
03-03-2004, 09:52 AM
ok so there is a salary cap in football. which is a good thing... but one thing i do not understand is how the redskins and mr snydor continue to spend and spend... every year... they are the yankees of the nfl in spending... but if there is a cap, how is this possible? look at wat they did already with brunell and portis, was ridding bailey enough to keep them under cap... i'm confused

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-03-2004, 10:00 AM
They spread it out across so many years. It will catch up to them down the road.

Throne Logic
03-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Phony backloaded contracts. They'll take a major hit in a couple of years when they dump everyone and eat all the bonus CAP money at once. This can pretty much be done in a single year. Then Danny can start spending all over again.

TedMock
03-03-2004, 10:01 AM
same thing they did a few years ago (when snyder took over) then they took a year off to pay all the dead money and the last two seasons they over spend again. They're basically giving large up front "signing bonuses" which they then amortize over the life of the contract. That way the first few years are cheaper on the cap (lower salary) but they end up ballooning the last couple of years. So they cut, pay off, and do it again. The Redskins OWN the offseason!!

Dozerdog
03-03-2004, 10:05 AM
What makes this system work as well is the demand for tickets in DC is huge- and if he ever does manage to win a SB, he won't have to worry about a season or two of 3-13 teams because he's got a full house.

In Buffalo and a lot of other places, teams try to build for the long haul.

BTW- "Buying" a championship isn't automatic. The window is way to small and they fail more often than succeed.

Pride
03-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
The Redskins OWN the offseason!!

All worthless if they don't OWN the postseason

TedMock
03-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Pride

My point exactly! The radio guys down here always joke by saying "...this is our season baby, time to make a splash!". The other day the guy described Dan Snyder / Clinton Portis negotiations like this.....

Snyder: We'd like you to be a Redskin son.
Portis: I'd like that too but I really think I deserve a pay raise.
Snyder: What did you make last season?
Portis: $500,000
Snyder: You're right, You deserve a raise! What are you worth?
Portis: From my production I deserve $2-$4 million a year.
Snyder: No problem, here's $17 up front and you'll also get $6 million/year for the next 8 years.
Portis: Thanks. But I probably won't be around another 8 years.
Snyder: You're hired!

Pride
03-03-2004, 10:21 AM
:rofl:

Novacane
03-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Pride

They don't even get there

Valerie
03-03-2004, 11:01 AM
They can spend all the money they want to. They're not going anywhere this year, just as they've gone no where the past few seasons. Dan Snyder keeps trying to buy the Super Bowl and it's not something that can be bought. He buys big name players for outrageous sums of money and it gets him no where except financially screwed.

Right now the big draw with the Skins is the return of Joe Gibbs. One of the best coaches in the NFL. A lot of players want to play for him. But, in all honesty, I don't see Joe around for more than two years. He's the oldest coach in the NFL and I think he will have health problems. I think that brief hospital stay a few weeks ago is just the beginning of what he could be in for, IMHO.

Even with all the new players the Skins have, and Joe Gibbs coaching them, I still don't think they're going anywhere this year. But, if you listen to the media, they've already got the Super Bowl in the bag. :lmao:

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

BTW- "Buying" a championship isn't automatic. The window is way to small and they fail more often than succeed.

man.. it sure seems like the window is small even when you build throught draft..

Originally posted by TedMock
My point exactly! The radio guys down here always joke by saying "...this is our season baby, time to make a splash!". The other day the guy described Dan Snyder / Clinton Portis negotiations like this.....

Snyder: We'd like you to be a Redskin son.
Portis: I'd like that too but I really think I deserve a pay raise.
Snyder: What did you make last season?
Portis: $500,000
Snyder: You're right, You deserve a raise! What are you worth?
Portis: From my production I deserve $2-$4 million a year.
Snyder: No problem, here's $17 up front and you'll also get $6 million/year for the next 8 years.
Portis: Thanks. But I probably won't be around another 8 years.
Snyder: You're hired!

classic.

BAM
03-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

They don't even get there

i'm starting to forget what it's like as well :(