PDA

View Full Version : Winfield Comments on ESPN.COM

Devin
03-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Just a few clips from an article about FA on espn.com:

"Just mention to league talent scouts Buffalo Bills cornerback Antoine Winfield, a former first-round draft pick and four-year starter likely to have a new address in 2004, and then get out of the way. Just a few minutes into any discussion of Winfield, assuming you have a representative cross-section of scouts, and the most hackneyed but undeniable truism of free agency will become clear."

and later on.....

"What will be in abundance, at least at the outset of free agency, are cornerbacks. There are big, physical corners, small quick cover guys, players with great promise but whose careers have been detoured by injuries. Of the players evaluated by ESPN.com as the top 30 unrestricted veterans, 21 are on the defensive side of the football, and eight of those are cornerbacks.

And that's where Winfield comes in because he is a prime example of how teams will differ in their views at the cornerback position. The general managers who like Winfield a lot, and there are plenty of them, point to his aggressiveness and his ability to play bigger than his size. His detractors quickly note that he has just six interceptions in five seasons, doesn't jump in front of many balls, doesn't hold the ones on which he gets his hands.

Winfield figures to be a hot commodity when the flag comes down on free agency at one minute after midnight Wednesday, but there are also teams who needs cornerbacks and don't even have him on a short list of candidates. But such is free agency, where some good decisions can catapult a team toward the playoffs, and bad ones usually result in salary cap catastrophes."

ESPN has Plummer and Vincent ranked higher than Winfield, and has thier "projected team" other then Buffalo. ESPN.com has Shawn Springs and/or Mario Edwards as our likely FA signing at CB. Springs is a little to injury prone for my liking.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1749175

Devin
03-03-2004, 01:18 PM
btw they say this in his FA profile:

An enigmatic outside defender who plays bigger than his size and forces the run nicely, but who rarely seems to author a big, game-altering accomplishment. Tough and scrappy and a nose for the ball but just awful hands and drops too many would-be interceptions. A guy on whom teams are split.

Likely landing spot: Washington, Minnesota, Cincinnati.

venis2k1
03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Devin
btw they say this in his FA profile:

An enigmatic outside defender who plays bigger than his size and forces the run nicely, but who rarely seems to author a big, game-altering accomplishment. Tough and scrappy and a nose for the ball but just awful hands and drops too many would-be interceptions. A guy on whom teams are split.

Likely landing spot: Washington, Minnesota, Cincinnati.

i would say that is pretty dead on, Winfeild can be a great player in the right defense. honestly i think that washington would be a good spot for him, ive always been a bigger nasty nate fan, but you got to admire the heart that winfeild plays with.

Devin
03-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I guess, id admire it more if he werent so greedy. I love the "test the free agent market" line, should read "see how much some other sucker will pay for my merc services".