PDA

View Full Version : Bills working on completing a deal with Troy Vincent by the end of today....

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:33 PM
The Sports ticker on WNSA just said that the Bills had CB Troy Vincent in Buffalo today and they hope to get a deal done by the end of today. :up:

At least it's someone! :D

jchild178
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
hmm i like it!

Lone Stranger
03-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Good news!

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Me too! He's 32, but still has something left in his tank and won't cost a ton of money. Plus, he's a solid vet to work with both McGee and Thomas to help them eventually take over the starting CB and Nickel Back jobs. :D

ryjam282
03-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Let's hope so with all this Woody talk getting to us. Let's hope we get some quality on D.

Novacane
Does this mean you're not going to go nuts MIke?

Tatonka
very very good news.

Mr. Miyagi
He's a 6-1 200lbs 32-year-old DB. Accomplished but not for the long haul. Looks like a decent signing to give Kevin Thomas and McGee a couple more years to develop.

Hope he doesn't demand big $$.

lordofgun
03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Our secondary looks very old all of the sudden.

Mr. Miyagi
Originally posted by Mikey82
Me too! He's 32, but still has something left in his tank and won't cost a ton of money. Plus, he's a solid vet to work with both McGee and Thomas to help them eventually take over the starting CB and Nickel Back jobs. :D
Damn Mikey you said everything I just did. :mad:

Mr. Miyagi
Originally posted by lordofgun
Clements is young.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Nope, but I still expect to see Woody, James, or Coleman come in for at least a workout. :D

Devin
03-03-2004, 03:38 PM
agreed LOG. While its not a bad signing I would have gone younger.

*cough* PLUMMER *cough*

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Damn Mikey you said everything I just did. :mad:

You mean, you just said everything that I said. My post was before yours. :nana:

Pride
03-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Devin

*cough* PLUMMER *cough*

Agreed

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:40 PM

*cough* PLUMMER *cough*

He's the best FA out there. And if we sign him...it means that McGee will never get a shot. Plummer is pretty young.

lordofgun
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM

*cough* PLUMMER *cough*

I'm not complaining about signing him, but I'd rather have Plummer as well.

ScottLawrence
03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Old Secondary?

Milloy is 30, Clements is 24, Vincent(If signed) is 32, Reese is 29, Thomas and McGee are both 23 and 25.

I wouldn't say it is old.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
They rated him pretty high on the ESPN FA list. ahead of Woodson, Plummer AND Winfield. :D

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=29

Here's what ESPN Insider said about him....

Vincent still is a good cover cornerback, but the Eagles traditionally have been hesitant to re-sign aging stars. At 33, he might be slowing, but he still has some good skills and was quite durable before last season. A playmaker, he is intelligent but also has excellent size and athleticism. Great in coverage and a key contributor in run support. Experience and instincts are top-notch. Crafty. Gives up few big plays and has a great feel for routes. Very effective in press coverage. Has the size and strength to push receivers out of their routes and really disrupt them. Knows how to use his hands. Also can play off. Has great feet and good hips, and turns well for a big corner. Closes very well on the ball and has nice burst out of his pedal. Fine in single man-to-man coverage. Dangerous on the blitz. Speed and recovery ability have faded some, but still are good. Quicker receivers trouble him. Doesn't handle double moves as well as he once did. Banged up a lot last year. Could decline quickly. Vincent won't be an elite corner for much longer, but today he is an outstanding player.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:44 PM
I'm not complaining about signing him, but I'd rather have Plummer as well.

Ya never know. :D

Devin
03-03-2004, 03:44 PM
yeah but as tends to happens with players his age injuries start and play declines.

Not saying hes bad by any means, just saying wasnt best move we could have made.

ScottLawrence
03-03-2004, 03:45 PM
I think its a great move..... He could come in hear for 2 or 3 years and let McGee and Thomas develop.

Very good move, IMO.

McBFLO
03-03-2004, 03:46 PM
I appreciate the updates, for those of you who are NOT at work, and are able to listen. Keep me updated! Thanks! I love this FA stuff!

justasportsfan
03-03-2004, 03:46 PM
We would need a stud DE opposite Shobel if Troy is to make any huge impact. Without any pass rush coming from denny or Kelsay, Troy will have a hard time keeping up with younger speedy wr's.

Devin
03-03-2004, 03:47 PM
deffo agreed there.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:51 PM
BTW, Vincent had 3 interceptions last year! Winfield had one! IMO, that's a nice improvement. :D

Mr. Miyagi
03-03-2004, 03:52 PM
I don't know. Between Bobby Taylor and Vincent I would've taken Taylor instead. Hasn't Vincent been hurt most of last season? Plus Taylor is 2 years younger too.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
I think its a great move..... He could come in hear for 2 or 3 years and let McGee and Thomas develop.

Very good move, IMO.

I totally agree! Good job, TD! :bf1:

Now get started on Woody, Jeno James, Bober, or Cosey Coleman. :whip: :D

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 03:56 PM
He's a 6-1 200lbs 32-year-old DB. Accomplished but not for the long haul. Looks like a decent signing to give Kevin Thomas and McGee a couple more years to develop.

Hope he doesn't demand big $$.

he is the perfect guy to sign.. because td already stated that he feels that mcgee and thomas both could be starters.. w/ just a bit more time.. this gives them that 1-2 seasons they need. perfect signing.

Clements is young.

and so is wire, thomas, mcgee... and milloy is under 30 as well.

worst post of the day.

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Old Secondary?

Milloy is 30, Clements is 24, Vincent(If signed) is 32, Reese is 29, Thomas and McGee are both 23 and 25.

I wouldn't say it is old.

thanks. you forgot wire.

Michael82
03-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
he is the perfect guy to sign.. because td already stated that he feels that mcgee and thomas both could be starters.. w/ just a bit more time.. this gives them that 1-2 seasons they need. perfect signing.

You forgot cheaper too. I bet this contract will be VERY cap friendly and will definitely be cheaper than both Springs and Plummer. :D

Mr. Miyagi
03-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Woohoo! I was quoted by Tatonka TWICE!!! :clap:

Marvelous
03-03-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm not a fan of this move. Vincent is 32 and plays like he's 35.
Why would we waste the money on a old CB? McGee can be the #2 imo... But yeah i too wanted Plummer...

Mike in Syracuse
03-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Your assuming he'll be playing CB :shades:

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't know. Between Bobby Taylor and Vincent I would've taken Taylor instead. Hasn't Vincent been hurt most of last season? Plus Taylor is 2 years younger too.

Taylor was the one that was always hurt.

Originally posted by Sippio
I'm not a fan of this move. Vincent is 32 and plays like he's 35.
Why would we waste the money on a old CB? McGee can be the #2 imo... But yeah i too wanted Plummer...

yeah.. he played just like he was 35 on his way to the nfc championship game.. and shut down eric moulds when we played the eagles this year.. :rolleyes:

you didnt watch a game of his last year.

lordofgun
03-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
worst post of the day.

Why? Like I said it's good for this year, but in a couple of years, we'd better have some young guys who can step up.

Then again, we can always just sign someone else through FA when the time comes...

juice
03-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Taylor is taller.. At some point the lack of size will be a problem for our secondary. Better hope the Phins dont get Moss.

Romes
03-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Vincent is 6'0'' that is considered tall for a CB

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Two words TOM MODRAK he was with the Eagles when they brought Troy Vincent in so he knows what this guy can do.

Demon
03-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Awsome deal if true. I'v always like Vincent. This is starting to get really exciting.

Gunzlingr
03-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
Two words TOM MODRAK he was with the Eagles when they brought Troy Vincent in so he knows what this guy can do.

Damn Philly connection :mad:

:jk:

Iehoshua
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
I believe Vincent is better than Antoine "all hits, no picks" Winfield.
:lolcry:

BigZ
03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Pride

Agreed

Ditto

STAMPY
03-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Darth Buffalo
I believe Vincent is better than Antoine "all hits, no picks" Winfield.
:lolcry:

thats perfect and on the money

ShadowHawk7
03-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I've always been a fan of Vincent w/ his clean-cut, playmaking ability. It's gonna be xciting watching him play. Hopefully he'll get around 7 or 8 picks for the next two years, to give McGee more time to grow into the starter. That'd be the ideal situation. I either wanted Vincent, or Plummer, and we got Vincent.

hintexas
03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
I saw a report that said that Vilarrial and Vincent are both in Buffalo today. Who else is in Buffalo and did the Bills send out plane tickets at 12:01 last night?

mypoorfriendme
03-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Woohoo! I was quoted by Tatonka TWICE!!! :clap:

i know itd make my day....hahaha.

but anyways, taylor may be younger but he hasnt quite recovered from his injuries....and also, who knows, if he really is "too old" he can move to FS and we can put mcgee, thomas, or another corner there midseason or next. of course this is IF he signs with us.

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Let's just hope JG let's him play "press" once in a while. I mean, Winfield could sure as hell tackle, but what good is that when, on 3rd and 8, his receiver is allowed to run a ten yard route?

mypoorfriendme
03-03-2004, 08:20 PM
because getting beat on a ten yard route is a lot better than a 65 yard route

Marino13Phins
03-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
The Sports ticker on WNSA just said that the Bills had CB Troy Vincent in Buffalo today and they hope to get a deal done by the end of today. :up:

At least it's someone! :D

Weren't a lot of people here hating on this guy when we were talking about dbacks the other day?

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
because getting beat on a ten yard route is a lot better than a 65 yard route

True. I should have been a little more specific, I guess. It just seemed that, for whatever reason, Winfield was asked to play off the receiver, and the receiver was open underneath, just beyond the first down marker. I'd like to see us tie up receivers a little more at the line of scrimmage and maybe make the QB hold the ball a little longer. Vincent has always been pretty good at that.

Goobylal
03-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Williams34Phins

Weren't a lot of people here hating on this guy when we were talking about dbacks the other day?
At FS he'd be ideal. BTW, it's "you're risking a sprained tongue" not "thumb."

elltrain22
03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
This is great, great news. I really hope we can sign Vincent, the guy can flat out play. :bf1: :bf1:

LtBillsFan66
03-03-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm glad they are going with Vincent rather than a young unproven talent.

I'm still not happy that Winfield and the Bills couldn't work things out. Oh well. That's the nature of the business...

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Romes
Vincent is 6'0'' that is considered tall for a CB

6'1"

The_Philster
03-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Way too late...he went nuts years ago. :D

Originally posted by helmetguy
True. I should have been a little more specific, I guess. It just seemed that, for whatever reason, Winfield was asked to play off the receiver, and the receiver was open underneath, just beyond the first down marker. I'd like to see us tie up receivers a little more at the line of scrimmage and maybe make the QB hold the ball a little longer. Vincent has always been pretty good at that.

Originally posted by billsfanone
I'm glad they are going with Vincent rather than a young unproven talent.

I'm still not happy that Winfield and the Bills couldn't work things out. Oh well. That's the nature of the business...

I like the idea of bringing in Vincent...he's proven and could really help out...but I wouldn't do anything more than a 3-year deal. He ain't gonna last forever.
As far as Antoine, it saddens me as well. The bashers have been attacking him because of his lack of picks and because WRs catch a lot of passes on him...but I guess some of them expect miracles. :idunno: Kinda hard to cover WRs when you're forced to play 8-10 yards off the LOS on a consistent basis.

LtBillsFan66
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
He wasn't beaten more than most above average CBs in the league. Last season, he happed to get beat big a few times.

I hate the knock on him for his lack of hands. Yes he doesn't get any picks, but it's because he's not a ball hawk. The one knock is that he never seems to get himself between the ball and the WR. He doesn't take the risks. And yes, when you are far off the ball and you don't have a sustained pass rush, it makes you look a lot worse.

But I will be happy with Vincent.

The_Philster
03-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Excatly what I'm saying, BF1. :up: I was a big fan of Thomas Smith before he left as well....I remember he almost never had any picks (except that sweet one against Aikman and Deion. :D ) and also had nearly no pass interference calls against him, either. :up:

until I jinxed him in training camp one year telling him he'd make the Pro Bowl and he promptly had a rotten season including 3-4 pass interference calls. :ontome:

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Excatly what I'm saying, BF1. :up: I was a big fan of Thomas Smith before he left as well....I remember he almost never had any picks (except that sweet one against Aikman and Deion. :D ) and also had nearly no pass interference calls against him, either. :up:

until I jinxed him in training camp one year telling him he'd make the Pro Bowl and he promptly had a rotten season including 3-4 pass interference calls. :ontome:

JINX!!! JINX!!!!!

hintexas
03-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Vincent said on the audio link on the Bills website that he is going to visit the Bengals tomorrow and that he promised Coach Lewis he would do that, but that he really enjoyed his visit to Buffalo.

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 10:28 PM
TD doesn't like players that do that. He wants players who want to play for Buffalo and not have them be second fiddle. That's what Jeff Morrison of WNSA said earlier today.:beer:

The Natrix
03-03-2004, 10:52 PM
This would be a great move.

Plummer would get a big contract and leave little remaining cap room, so all we would be doing is replacing Brown and Winfield.

Signing Vincent and Villarrial leaves room for another impact player.

Marino13Phins
03-04-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Goobylal

BTW, it's "you're risking a sprained tongue" not "thumb."

You could be right... heh.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2004, 08:24 AM
How can people be unhappy with getting Vincent? It appears that either Mcgee or Thomas have the skills to start but not much exp. Vincent, for at least the next year or two is a better cover corner than Winfield and makes more big plays. So we have upgraded the cb position for less money and have 2 young cbs to groom in the process. I think Vincent was our BEST option.

Michael82
03-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
TD doesn't like players that do that. He wants players who want to play for Buffalo and not have them be second fiddle. That's what Jeff Morrison of WNSA said earlier today.:beer:

But TD should like the fact that Vincent is not one of those liars and is honest. He also keeps his promise. That's a good thing, IMO. :D

Michael82
03-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
How can people be unhappy with getting Vincent? It appears that either Mcgee or Thomas have the skills to start but not much exp. Vincent, for at least the next year or two is a better cover corner than Winfield and makes more big plays. So we have upgraded the cb position for less money and have 2 young cbs to groom in the process. I think Vincent was our BEST option.

I totally agree! I just hope it happens soon. :pray:

clumping platelets
03-04-2004, 09:07 AM
As long as he's not too expensive, he would be a good addition.

This would give the Bills staff more time to develop Thomas and McGee

helmetguy
03-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Plus the fact that, if necessary, he'd be willing to eventually switch to FS. Aside from what it might cost to get him, what's not to like?

Michael82
03-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Plus the fact that, if necessary, he'd be willing to eventually switch to FS. Aside from what it might cost to get him, what's not to like?

Do you like him with a 3 year deal worth $14 mill? :feedback:

I'm not sure. :idunno:

Lone Stranger
03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Vincent would be a very welcome addition.....for the right price. Bills may have to explore additional options to free up more cap space.

elltrain22
03-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Vincent would be sooo nice.:3star: