PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Bills Sign Villarrial

Romes
03-03-2004, 05:00 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=233455&dsp=press

Versatile Gaurd can play center but Kruetz has manned that position for Chicago.

shelby
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Does this mean no Woody?
:(

jchild178
03-03-2004, 05:35 PM
most likely but i hope not!

Bruce is Loose
03-03-2004, 05:38 PM
what do we know about this guy?? I am sure he is an upgrade but is he any good??

Romes
03-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Height: 6-3
Weight: 318
Born: Jun. 9, 1973
Hummelstown, PA
Pos: G

Villarial is physical and gets excellent pop. He has good upper-body strength and knows how to control defenders with his hands. Has enough lower-body strength to push the pile. Keeps his legs driving after contact. Understands blocking angles, generally gets into good position, and works hard to keep his man in front of him. Has adequate initial quickness in pass protection, maintains separation and forces pass rushers wide. Has good bulk, bends at the knees pretty well, and rarely gives ground to bull rushers. Can line up at center in a pinch. Subpar in pass protection and as a downfield blocker. Doesn't change directions quickly or have great footwork. Struggles to counter double moves by athletic pass rushers. Doesn't adjust well to the moving target or consistently reach his blocks at the second level. Not fast enough to get around the corner. Seems uncomfortable blocking in space. Injuries are becoming a concern. Villarial is an above-average run blocker who gives great effort, but he lacks mobility. An adequate starter in a run-heavy scheme.

He has played mainly RG but played C in 1997.

Stewie
03-03-2004, 05:44 PM
this doesn't excite me

ScottLawrence
03-03-2004, 05:45 PM
You guys dont know about him?

He is one of the most underrated Guards in the game.... he is a GREAT pick up and a HUGE upgrade over anything we have.

Great pick up by Donahoe.

ScottLawrence
03-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Trust me on this....

Awsome signing.

Gunzlingr
03-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Where is EE, he is a closet Bears fan?

Bruce is Loose
03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
anyone know contract details??
also, what kind of injuries has he had?

Romes
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Trust me on this....

Awsome signing.

ok :up:

Seriously though I agree to an extent. It is a good signing one of the top 5 available guards and one of the few other than Woody that has experience at C. Big, powerful, strong blocker.

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by tanked
anyone know contract details??
also, what kind of injuries has he had?

Well he has started 109 of 116 games he's played in so I don't injuries are a problem.

Demon
03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Does anyone have any articles by experts about this guy being anything good? I mean i hope he is, but i don't watch Chicago play much, and when i do i don't watch their OL. lol

eyedog
03-03-2004, 06:02 PM
" rarely gives ground to bull rushers "

Thats alone makes him worthwhile. Much needed with the pocket passer in Bledsoe.

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Villarial is physical and gets excellent pop. He has good upper-body strength and knows how to control defenders with his hands. Has enough lower-body strength to push the pile. Keeps his legs driving after contact. Understands blocking angles, generally gets into good position, and works hard to keep his man in front of him. Has adequate initial quickness in pass protection, maintains separation and forces pass rushers wide. Has good bulk, bends at the knees pretty well, and rarely gives ground to bull rushers. Can line up at center in a pinch. Subpar in pass protection and as a downfield blocker. Doesn't change directions quickly or have great footwork. Struggles to counter double moves by athletic pass rushers. Doesn't adjust well to the moving target or consistently reach his blocks at the second level. Not fast enough to get around the corner. Seems uncomfortable blocking in space. Injuries are becoming a concern. Villarial is an above-average run blocker who gives great effort, but he lacks mobility. An adequate starter in a run-heavy scheme.

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Subpar in pass protection and as a downfield blocker. Doesn't change directions quickly or have great footwork. Struggles to counter double moves by athletic pass rushers. Doesn't adjust well to the moving target or consistently reach his blocks at the second level. Not fast enough to get around the corner. Seems uncomfortable blocking in space. Injuries are becoming a concern.

:wail: Sounds like a Pucillo clone

ScottLawrence
03-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Bears fans wanted him to resign badly.....

Hes no Pucillo..... I can't believe you guys dont know about him.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2004, 06:15 PM
I know he was one of the strongest players at the combine back in '96, doing something like 36 reps. Played at a small college, Indiana of PA.

He is a straight-ahead mauler-type. Has been very durable, although he missed a few games at the beginning of last season with a sprained MCL.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2004, 06:18 PM
The Bears wanted to bring him back, but didn't want to pay him huge money. Was coming off a 4-Yr/$11M deal. The Bears chose to keep the younger Mike Gandy over him.

Thought he would be a target for Miami, as he played under OL coach Tony Wise and Waanstedt.

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Subpar in pass protection and as a downfield blocker. Doesn't change directions quickly or have great footwork. Struggles to counter double moves by athletic pass rushers. Doesn't adjust well to the moving target or consistently reach his blocks at the second level. Not fast enough to get around the corner. Seems uncomfortable blocking in space. Injuries are becoming a concern.

:wail: Sounds like a Pucillo clone

How can you compare Pucillo has been in the league what 2 years. Villarial is a vet who obviously can play he's started 109 of 116 games

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

How can you compare Pucillo has been in the league what 2 years. Villarial is a vet who obviously can play he's started 109 of 116 games

The description of his pass blocking skills sounds like Pucillo. :(

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
i know this.. he hasnt been a starter for 8 years because he sucked.. and the bears made a strong effort to resign him... mcnally picked him.. that is good enough for me.

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by NE39
I know he was one of the strongest players at the combine back in '96, doing something like 36 reps. Played at a small college, Indiana of PA.

PSAC-West. We have two assistants that coached in the PSAC, too. Now, let's sign Danny Holland!

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i know this.. he hasnt been a starter for 8 years because he sucked.. and the bears made a strong effort to resign him... mcnally picked him.. that is good enough for me.

:up::beer:

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

PSAC-West. We have two assistants that coached in the PSAC, too. Now, let's sign Danny Holland!

Tell me about this Danny Holland guy!:up:

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2004, 06:42 PM
I'll give the guy a chance. He surely can't be any worse than Pucillo. The write-up about his pass blocking does concern me though.

Maybe we can get some Bears fans commenting about him.

jdbillsfan
03-03-2004, 06:48 PM
I am very happy with this signing. I think he will fit in perfectly in Buffalo! Nice work Bills.

It only helps to hear how mad Bears fans are.

Romes
03-03-2004, 06:49 PM
AW if you read the write up of all the other gaurds available they all have cons. He is rated in the top 5. I wouldn't get hung up just on the cons.

Romes
03-03-2004, 06:51 PM
I also don't see why they say he has injury problems...

A fixture at right guard for the Bears for most of the last seven seasons, starting 71 games at the position… Has missed only three starts and two games played over the past five years… Started every game in which he played from 9/1/97-10/15/00, a streak of 49 games… Returned to right guard in 1998 after moving to center for the 1997 season… Started one game at left guard in 1997 as well… As a rookie, made an immediate impact by starting eight of 14 games played at right guard … Originally drafted in the fifth round (152nd overall) by Chicago in 1996.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/playerpage.cfm?player_id=5306

BAM
03-03-2004, 06:52 PM
the glass is half full :up:

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Like I said, Pucillo is most likely riding the pine now, so I'm happy I guess :up:

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Tell me about this Danny Holland guy!:up:

http://sports.mansfield.edu/football/Release%20Stories/linebacker_of_year.htm

Kinda small for a LB, but is real quick and is monster on ST.
Keep an eye out for the other two guys in that article, too. Especially McNeal. He kinda reminds me of "Mini-Mac" Herron.

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 07:16 PM
i would like to see what EE has to say.

hintexas
03-03-2004, 07:35 PM
CBS Sports Line has Villarrial as the 14th best free agent available and only Woody is listed as a beter free agent guard. They said "For any team looking to get better inside, this is the guy we would target. He's a tough player who gets it done in the run game and in pass protection"

I was very excited when I heard the Bills signed a vetern guard with this type of statement from CBS sportsline it is a great pick up for the Bills.

Mr. Miyagi
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
This guy has been around for quite a few years. 30 years old and this is the first time most of us has ever heard of him.

Either that he sucks, or he's one of those no name players who don't ever get any credit.

Anyone remembers the Chicago OL over these years? I'm not saying he isn't any good but all I remember is Jim Miller and Kordell had to scramble a whole lot in the past few years. :eek:

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
This guy has been around for quite a few years. 30 years old and this is the first time most of us has ever heard of him.

Either that he sucks, or he's one of those no name players who don't ever get any credit.

Anyone remembers the Chicago OL over these years? I'm not saying he isn't any good but all I remember is Jim Miller and Kordell had to scramble a whole lot in the past few years. :eek:

He has started for 8 years!

ScottLawrence
03-03-2004, 07:47 PM
*****EVERY***** Bears fan that I talked to was sad to see him leave, they wanted to resign him badly.

Im very happy with this signing.

hintexas
03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
I think you would of heard more about Villarrial if he would have had a good running back to go through the holes he was making for him in Chicago over the best eight years.

Ebenezer
03-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I agree with BAM...glass half full on this one.

The_Philster
03-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Looks like his strength was more oriented to run-blocking from what I'm reading. Line him up at RG and Sullivan at LG and we just need to plug up C. :up:

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Looks like his strength was more oriented to run-blocking from what I'm reading. Line him up at RG and Sullivan at LG and we just need to plug up C. :up:

Don't most O-linemen prefer run blocking to pass-protection?

elltrain22
03-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Love your signature ScottLawrence. I'm Rick James Beyatchh!! The Dave Chappelle show is the funniest show on tv, hands down.

BTW: Great news about us getting Villarrial. He is very underrated, and if we can sign Woody too, our line will be 110% better for next year.

juice
03-03-2004, 09:06 PM

A. Thomas had a few good rushing seasons in Chicago a few years back.

The_Philster
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Don't most O-linemen prefer run blocking to pass-protection?

Yeah...but just from what little I know about him, he's simply better at run-blocking. Sullivan, from what I've seen, is a decent pass blocker and your stronger pass blockers are generally on the left side. :idunno:

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Yeah...but just from what little I know about him, he's simply better at run-blocking. Sullivan, from what I've seen, is a decent pass blocker and your stronger pass blockers are generally on the left side. :idunno:

Just checking!

I would think that, since most QB's are righties, then it would be a good idea to have your best pass-protectors on the left side.

BTW, what are you doing awake this late?

The_Philster
03-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Just checking!

I would think that, since most QB's are righties, then it would be a good idea to have your best pass-protectors on the left side.

Bingo :up:
You learn fast, my son. :D
BTW, what are you doing awake this late?
Got home an hour ago from class and had a lot of catching up to do after the site basically crashed...and our OT is done at the shop for a while.

helmetguy
03-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Bingo :up:
You learn fast, my son. :D
Got home an hour ago from class and had a lot of catching up to do after the site basically crashed...and our OT is done at the shop for a while.

Cool!

My son? Shouldn't that be the other way around? I mean, according to Dozer, I'm a crusty old fart!

BTW, just remember who got you started with the Bills!

Tatonka
03-03-2004, 09:50 PM

he also blocked for the rookie of the year a couple years ago (anthony thomas)

juice
03-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by juice
A. Thomas had a few good rushing seasons in Chicago a few years back.

Tonk had better take the Ignore option off... He's beginning to scare me.

The Natrix
03-03-2004, 10:36 PM
This signing tells me TD is going to go o-line early in the draft becasue Villarrial is not a future solution.

Hopefully he stays effective this year. Guards tend to hit a wall around 31 or 32.

I would still like to see Woody at center and a decent replacement for Winfield. Screw wasting money on a DE, WR or FS.

The Spaz
03-03-2004, 10:47 PM
I see Villarial as a 2-3 year player.

SABURZFAN
03-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by shelby
Does this mean no Woody?
:(

:eek:

um.....hey church,you better take care of this request.:snicker:

SABURZFAN
03-04-2004, 02:03 AM

there is no comparison.pucillo is a cream puff.

kardshark19
03-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Todd Wright from ESPNradio's All Night was talking with a sports analyst from some where just about 15 minutes ago, and they were saying how this was one of the best pick-ups this FA so far. They say how this guy slipped under peoples radar, and would be great in Mularkey's proposed system.

Earthquake Enyart
03-04-2004, 06:21 AM
The Bears OL problems were with the tackles. Up the middle they were solid. When they ran the ball with success, it was the A Train right up the gut. Villareal is better than what we have (better than last year's Ruben), and this is a solid signing. Other than Woody, he is the best guard in FA, and is a solid citizen as well.

Any idea what we paid? :huh:

SABURZFAN
03-04-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Any idea what we paid? :huh:

NE39 says 4 year $12 million with $3 million signing bonus.that's not a bad deal.

madness
03-04-2004, 06:49 AM
Great signing! I know a couple Bear's fans who pretty upset about losing him. One of them said TH must be very happy because this guy dominates the middle of the line.

Tatonka
03-04-2004, 07:35 AM
glad to hear that EE likes him.. i feel better now.