PDA

View Full Version : Villarrial Terms: 4 Yrs/$12M, $3M SB

Ickybaluky
03-04-2004, 06:18 AM
According to the Chicago Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bear04.html

Stuck in the middle of the article it reads:

"In a whirlwind first day, right guard Chris Villarrial was not receptive to late overtures by the Bears, who were hopeful he would give them a final opportunity to retain him. The Buffalo Bills signed Villarrial, the longest-tenured Bear last season, to a four-year, $12 million contract with a $3 million signing bonus."

SABURZFAN
03-04-2004, 06:25 AM
thanks for the info NE39.:up:

Tatonka
03-04-2004, 07:19 AM
3 mill a year..

but i bet you that they are paying him a low amount this year.. and the last years base salary is significantly bigger..

the 3 mill SB works out to 750K a year.. so if he plays for 2 seasons at a cap figure of around 1.5 and 2 million.. he could potentially be cut in year three and only cost 1.5 which would be a cap savings over his salary that year i am sure..

good signing.. i like the contract.. a tiny sb.

BIGDAWG
03-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Just for kick and giggles...how does this compare to ruben browns contract?:monte:

Ebenezer
03-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by BIGDAWG
Just for kick and giggles...how does this compare to ruben browns contract?:monte:

without any renegotiation RB would have counted:

$2.7 mil base salary
$1.8 mil Roster bonus
$1.336 mil amoratized signing bonus

$5.836 mil total...but remember...getting rid of RB saved only a little over $1.5 mil; he still counts $4.0 mil against our cap this year so it is likely we picked up CV with the money we saved this year.

Michael82
03-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
without any renegotiation RB would have counted:

$2.7 mil base salary
$1.8 mil Roster bonus
$1.336 mil amoratized signing bonus

$5.836 mil total...but remember...getting rid of RB saved only a little over $1.5 mil; he still counts $4.0 mil against our cap this year so it is likely we picked up CV with the money we saved this year.

So, basically we either had Ruben "overrated" Brown...or Chris Villarrial? Hmmm, I prefer Villarrial! :D

BIGDAWG
03-04-2004, 08:51 AM
thanks for the info

Michael82
03-04-2004, 08:54 AM
One more thing....Ruben Brown is 32 now. Chris Villarrial will be 31 in June. So, Ruben is a year older. :D

Ebenezer
03-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
So, basically we either had Ruben "overrated" Brown...or Chris Villarrial? Hmmm, I prefer Villarrial! :D

Got to think of it in these terms...Ruben (assuming he ditched the $1.8 mil roster bonus) and another player at a position of need or Chris Villarrial??

Michael82
03-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Got to think of it in these terms...Ruben (assuming he ditched the $1.8 mil roster bonus) and another player at a position of need or Chris Villarrial??

His agent is greedy, remember how he was with Fina? Ruben would not have ditched the $1.8 million bonus. I wonder why they didn't approach him about pushing his bonus until next year. I heard the Fiedler did that and in exchange, he stays on the team and doesn't have to take a huge paycut, like they wanted.

Lone Stranger
03-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Pretty heavy expense for a guy who is really not a star. Doesn't leave much $ for a guy like Troy Vincent. It might have been better for TD to wait and see who fell through the cracks.

Romes
03-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Minor detail but Clayton is saying it is a 4 year $11.85 mil w/ 3 mil signing bonus.

Michael82
03-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Interesting Quote from the Chicago Tribune....

Angelo acknowledged the Bears will miss Villarrial and made a last-ditch contract offer Tuesday night to keep him in Chicago. A source familiar with the negotiations said the size of the offer surprised Villarrial, but in the end he sought a change of scenery.

So, the Bears tried to re-sign him at the last minute? No wonder TD kept it quiet about him being here. I really think that he purposely leaked the Woody info to get everyone talking about that, instead of digging and find the real signing. :D