PDA

View Full Version : Terrance McGee as starting CB

kwharter
03-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Does he have what it takes to replace Antoine Winfield at cornerback and might it be a possibility of the Bills not signing a cornerback for that reason.

The Spaz
03-04-2004, 12:03 PM
I think McGee has some real talent but would be better to learn at least 1 more year.

kwharter
03-04-2004, 12:04 PM
True but from his performance last year I think he can become an excellent shut down corner.

Pride
03-04-2004, 12:06 PM
I personally feel most CBs in the league have what it takes to get burnt by average receivers week in and week out.

Now for his tackling ability, that is what I question.

(Scarsm Off) Yes, I feel he can be just as effective as AWin, but that really isnt saying much. All he has to do is tackle his guy after they catch the ball.

The Spaz
03-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by kwharter
True but from his performance last year I think he can become an excellent shut down corner.

I think he would be too inconsistent this year 1 more year to learn and he should be fine.

Voltron
03-04-2004, 12:10 PM
He played well but he played well against 3rd and 4th receivers. I am not sure if he is ready to cover a Chris Chambers or Santana Moss.

I was a fan of letting him try it but after thinking it over I think one more year or development would be good for him.

kwharter
03-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Also if McGee and free agency isn't the answer then can we get someone in the draft that will come in and be able to get more interceptions then we have had in the past couple of years.

Forward_Lateral
03-04-2004, 12:56 PM
McGee is the answer, but I agree that he needs another season or 2 of experience. That's why Troy Vincent is a perfect fit. A guy who can play corner for a few years, then move to safety in his twilight years

WNYnut
03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I personally feel most CBs in the league have what it takes to get burnt by average receivers week in and week out.

Now for his tackling ability, that is what I question.

(Scarsm Off) Yes, I feel he can be just as effective as AWin, but that really isnt saying much. All he has to do is tackle his guy after they catch the ball.

I was thinking the same thing, as long as the guy can tackle, he can't do much better or worse than Winfield, and hey, if by some crazy miracle one of our cornerbacks other than Clements manages to intercept a ball (i.e. McGee or whoever), I'd consider it an upgrade from Winfield.

Tatonka
03-04-2004, 01:12 PM
i am not at all opposed to letting him go as the starter if we cant get vincent or taylor for a reasonable price.. those are the only two CBs that i really feel will fit here.. if we sign a CB.. it HAS to be a vet that is not going to want big money to stick around for a while..

if we go with mcgee at CB.. it is CRUCIAL that we get a guy like winstrom to help the pass rush.. a great pass rush makes ALL cbs better.

helmetguy
03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
McGee is the answer, but I agree that he needs another season or 2 of experience. That's why Troy Vincent is a perfect fit. A guy who can play corner for a few years, then move to safety in his twilight years

You pretty much said it all, Forward. If Vincent is too pricey to get, then it looks like McGee would be the likely starter.

Originally posted by kwharter
Also if McGee and free agency isn't the answer then can we get someone in the draft that will come in and be able to get more interceptions then we have had in the past couple of years.

Wouldn't it be more likely that, in the absence of Vincent, that McGee would be the better choice over an inexperienced rookie? It would seem that the type of guy you're thinking of would have to be pretty high up on the draft charts (1st or 2nd round). Who do you have in mind?

EDS
03-04-2004, 01:34 PM
New England won the Super Bowl last year with two rookies playing significant time in the secondary so anything is possible. I think McGee has the ability to succeed this year as the starter but you never know. This time last year everyone was talking up Thomas as the answer for at least the nickel and as a future shut down corner. Now McGee is the flavor of the month.

If they sign Vincent and draft a corner then I say move McGee or Thomas to Free Safety.

Voltron
03-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by WNYnut

I was thinking the same thing, as long as the guy can tackle, he can't do much better or worse than Winfield, and hey, if by some crazy miracle one of our cornerbacks other than Clements manages to intercept a ball (i.e. McGee or whoever), I'd consider it an upgrade from Winfield.

McGee had 2 picks last year and about 1/10th the pt that AW had

LtBillsFan66
03-04-2004, 02:41 PM
He showed promise, but you have to understand what situations he was in when he was in. No one has seen him play a whole game at corner.

I HAVE to remind everyone that CHRIS WATSON showed promise the year before his disaster. In similiar Nickel situations as McGee.

Also, a few people were aroused at Thomas's play against Green Bay two seasons ago.

Bottom line - he's unproven.

The_Philster
03-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I HAVE to remind everyone that CHRIS WATSON showed promise the year before his disaster. In similiar Nickel situations as McGee.
Watson showed promise in limited starter duty as well

elltrain22
03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
I think McGee has some real talent but would be better to learn at least 1 more year.

My sentiments exactly.

ECUCHRIS
03-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeah when you have an ACL injury all you have to do is take a glance at the career of Terrell Davis. Davis received his injury and came back a year after and he injured it again. The more you injure the ligaments in the knee the more likely you are to injure it again. I would sit him out if we start if we dont start off with wins then sure put him in the lineup. I think that if they dont play him for atleast half this season he should be totally healed. and the chances of further injury will be reduced. I want to see Willis back out on that field, but I just dont want to see him mess up his career like TD.

helmetguy
03-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Are you thinking of RB Willis McGahee, ECU? They're referring to Terrance McGee, CB.

ECUCHRIS
03-04-2004, 10:33 PM
I dont know how that got there. I was referring to another post,but I had a couple of windows open. I agree totally with the President of the Rocco "not gonna win this year" Baldelli fan club.

Bert102176
03-05-2004, 12:33 AM
I would rather them sign Plummer I don't trust McGee just yet