PDA

View Full Version : Winfield loss like Peerless last year...

DraftBoy
03-04-2004, 03:08 PM
I think this is gonna come back to bit us in the ass like not having a compliment WR to Moulds did last season when we lost Peerless. I hope to god Im wrong but Im not feeling good about this at all so far....

The Spaz
03-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Well woudl have been worth putting that kind of money on a guy who doesn't make plays? Grant it he was solid but they're are quite a few of those guys.

Pride
I disagree

The loss of peerless wasnt our problem last year...

Hell if you looko back, back in 2002, they only played well the first 8 games... the problem is, people figured out if they blitz bledsoe, he doesnt have the time to sit back and sling it.

it had nothing to do with peerless, it had to do with the offensive gameplan, and the lack of a significant running game.

Gunzlingr
Bidness is Bidness. He obviously didn't want to be here. I wish him well except when he plays us. Sayonara!

Devin
03-04-2004, 03:11 PM
ill feel a WHOLE LOT better when a CB is signed until then the feeling is mutual part of our secondary was how Nate and toine complimented one another.

lordofgun
I don't wish him well at all!

I'll wait to see who we sign to say if it will bite us.

DraftBoy
Like Philster has pointed out its hard to make plays 8 yards off the ball...He should of had more picks, but he rarely got burned and was the surest tackler and one of the fastes players on the D, mark my words I think it will come back to bite us....esp if we dont get Vincent.

justasportsfan
03-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Peerless wouldn't have been a big loss if we ran the ball more.

The Spaz
03-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I disagree

Hell if you looko back, back in 2002, they only played well the first 8 games... the problem is, people figured out if they blitz bledsoe, he doesnt have the time to sit back and sling it.

it had nothing to do with peerless, it had to do with the offensive gameplan, and the lack of a significant running game.

Good point!:up:

DraftBoy
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
I see alot of ifs in posts by justa and Pride (sorry dont know how to multi quote) and thats true and I agree with both but the simple fact was this:

We liked to throw the ball, we all knew this. Moulds got DT'd and he was hurt and it hurt our Offense by alot. We missed PP. I hope I'm wrong but I dont like the looks of the DB right now, b.c I dont like Clements at all b.c he gambles too often and doesnt make enough plays for all his gambels.

STAMPY
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
vincent is just flat out better then winfield

The Natrix
03-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
I think this is gonna come back to bit us in the ass like not having a compliment WR to Moulds did last season when we lost Peerless. I hope to god Im wrong but Im not feeling good about this at all so far....

How on earth can you say this when you don't even know who his replacement is?

Vincent in place of Winfield would be a wash.

Shaw for Price is a downgrade.

DraftBoy
03-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
vincent is just flat out better then winfield

Maybe 3 years ago but not now

Lefty2985
03-04-2004, 03:16 PM
I think price was a bigger loss because he was a bigger impact player who could make plays! Antoine was a great run stopper but he doesnt make the big play when need.

DraftBoy
03-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

How on earth can you say this when you don't even know who his replacement is?

Vincent in place of Winfield would be a wash.

Shaw for Price is a downgrade.

Pure speculation, and by the fact that Vincent left for another visit with Cincy, and our fall back option is either McGee (who I like alot but needs more time) and Washington who is worse than Vincent.

Bill Brasky
03-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Winfield had 6 INT's in five seasons. Clements has 12 in three seasons (granted most have come against the fins). The D is good but it needs to create more turnovers and Winfield isn't a guy that could do that.

DraftBoy
03-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Lefty2985
I think price was a bigger loss because he was a bigger impact player who could make plays! Antoine was a great run stopper but he doesnt make the big play when need.

That applies to every player last season for this team...

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2004, 03:18 PM

Maybe 3 years ago but not now

No both.

Pride
03-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I disagree

I see alot of ifs in posts by justa and Pride

I only used one "if" =D

TedMock
03-04-2004, 03:22 PM
First off let me say that I really liked Peerless Price but I really don't think that's what really hurt us last season. YES, we do need some speed on the field so that's not what I'm getting at. We did get Takeo Spikes out of that deal (the $$ PP freed up). We revamped our offensive skill set to go to a power running game and efficient passing game to set up play action. In that scenario Reed and Shaw should've been fine. Same with the dumping Larry Centers and bringing in Gash and bye bye J.R., hello Mark Campbell (he ended up being a pleasant surprise). However, Kevin Gilbride took this new "power" roster and continued to run the same speedy, finesse offense. Play calling hurt us more than anything last season. Reed and Shaw struggled early hanging on to the ball but both found their hands as the year went on. Problem is they're good at what they're good at....catching the ball in traffic and getting a tough yard or two. Peerless also had a lot of drops and wasn't good in traffic but he had game breaking speed which was supposedly going to be under-used in this "new" scheme that never was. Plus he wanted to be the #1 guy. No problem there, every athlete should aspire to be top dog. I'd like us to get a speedster but not in the same sense Price was. I don't want our #2 WR getting 90 catches and 1100 yards. This would be the direct result of our gross predictability and imbalance that we've already suffered through.

ScottLawrence
03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
What about Taylor(Eagles), Macklin(Colts), Bryant(Jaguars), Edwards(Cowboys), Howard(Saints).

The Natrix
03-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
Winfield had 6 INT's in five seasons. Clements has 12 in three seasons (granted most have come against the fins). The D is good but it needs to create more turnovers and Winfield isn't a guy that could do that.

This is exactly why it makes sense to let him go! The D was #2 with few turnovers. I would rather have a #8 D with turnovers! Maybe if the D sucked and Winfiled was the best player, I would say keep him, but it didn't suck. Winfield will not be missed on the field.

Draftboy, stop watching the video of Winny's hit on Glenn, get a Clements avatar, and repeat to yourself: "The main job of a corner is to cover and intercept!

TedMock
I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Moulds' eventual replacement. He's going into year 9 and he'll eventually lose a step so a top WR wouldn't upset me.

LtBillsFan66

I agree.

I hope we land Vincent.

justasportsfan
03-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I see alot of ifs in posts by justa and Pride (sorry dont know how to multi quote) and thats true and I agree with both but the simple fact was this:

We liked to throw the ball, we all knew this. Moulds got DT'd and he was hurt and it hurt our Offense by alot. We missed PP. I hope I'm wrong but I dont like the looks of the DB right now, b.c I dont like Clements at all b.c he gambles too often and doesnt make enough plays for all his gambels. Before the season started, people like Drew said "we are going to be a smashmouth team", " Henry will lead the league in rushing" That tells you we were supposed to run the ball more. Obviously not the case because of Gilbride and GW allowing it. Had we all known that we were going to throw the ball we shoudl've kept PP. Had we stuck to the plan or running we wouldn't have had to keep PP.