PDA

View Full Version : My assessment of problems on D

LtBillsFan66
03-04-2004, 03:40 PM
I think our D is the victim of having VERY aggressive players playing in a VERY conservative scheme. That’s why I think Milloy and Spikes, and Fletcher for that matter, didn’t seem to totally dominate. I would like to see way more aggressive schemes to compliment the aggressive players.

We’ll need Vincent. I also think we have a real hole at FS. Also a solid DE who can bring constant pressure is needed.

Thoughts? Arguments? Demeaning comments?

ScottLawrence
03-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Jerry Grey said on WNSA like a month ago that he wanted to put Cover 2 into the defense.

He also said they "MUST" get Interceptions and turnovers next season.

I expect us to be much more aggressive.

LtBillsFan66
03-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Jerry Grey said on WNSA like a month ago that he wanted to put Cover 2 into the defense.

He also said they "MUST" get Interceptions and turnovers next season.

I expect us to be much more aggressive.

The Bills have been at the bottom in takaways for the last 3 years!

Gray MUST realize that he has to design a system to CAUSE turnovers.

mchurchfie
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I totally agree.:up: They do need another DE that can bring it. I would also like to see them blitz Fletcher and TKO more often...they are good passrushers. This is why, I for one, was not very excited about them keeping Grey for DC. I hate our schizo defensive schemes, I don't care if they were ranked No 1 to the tenth power in the NFL last year.

Pride
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Great assessment, and I do blame Jerry Gray for that a little. Almost like he was afraid to pull the trigger at times.

Hoping Mularky will take care of that

mchurchfie
03-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Getting takeaways at opportunistic times is what will get you to the POs and SB. Stats and rankings are very missleading and a tad bit overrated.

ScottLawrence
03-04-2004, 03:50 PM
I expect Grey to be more aggressive and make this defense create turnovers.

I thought part of the reason we didn't get INT's was because our Corners played like 10 yards off the reciever.

We also didn't have much of a pass rush.

The Spaz
03-04-2004, 03:53 PM
We did rank 9th in sacks so who knows what will happen.

LtBillsFan66
03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
Getting takeaways at opportunistic times is what will get you to the POs and SB. Stats and rankings are very missleading and a tad bit overrated.

As well as give you some field position for a change.

LtBillsFan66
03-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
We did rank 9th in sacks so who knows what will happen.

I just don't see consistent pressure.

Goobylal
03-04-2004, 04:04 PM
You know the reason why the defense played conservatively? It was because of Williams and maybe LeBeau. Gray said after the Bills hired him that Williams held down the defense, or something close to that. I can't find the link, but I remember reading that and it sticking in my mind as being odd since I thought Williams was more of a gambler.

Goobylal
03-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Also the problems on defense won't be as noticeable with the offense grinding it out on the ground, scoring points, and not leading the league in 3-and-outs.