http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=334876

They got Kobe Bryant too. :snicker:

Dozerdog
03-05-2004, 09:29 AM
I posted that in the Woody thread....Buh Buy Woody

justasportsfan
03-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I posted that in the Woody thread....Buh Buy Woody Sorry.

I thought the sun, beach and women in Miami were all that ,just like Disconstipate said.

Looks like Woody didn't want to learn spanish and didn't like women who have deeper voice than Barry White.

Gunzlingr
03-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Sorry.

I thought the sun, beach and women in Miami were all that ,just like Disconstipate said.

Looks like Woody didn't want to learn spanish and didn't like women who have deeper voice than Barry White.

But....but.... There is snow in Detroit! Who would want to play there when Miami has the most beautiful tranvestites in the world, no snow- just hurricanes, and no taxes? :rolleyes:

Novacane
03-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Maybe the prime FA's see Miami as being on the downslide too.

Pride
03-05-2004, 09:36 AM
It's obvious the guy was only concerned with money. Why would you pick the lions over the Bills or Phins who are both probable contenders?

The lions are perennial losers going back over a decade.

Pride
03-05-2004, 09:36 AM
What I want to know is, did Buffalo court him? If not, why not? If we did, what did we offer?

Devin
03-05-2004, 09:37 AM
I despise players like that I realize money has a lot to do with it, but come on.

Gunzlingr
03-05-2004, 09:43 AM
I bet he just wants to be closer to Mo-Town. I smell record deal! That is the only reason he would choose Detroit over Miami.

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Pride
What I want to know is, did Buffalo court him? If not, why not? If we did, what did we offer?

I'm sure we did but like you said it was probably all about the money. We know TD sets a value on a guy andwill stick to it until the end.

justasportsfan
03-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Fina and Webb are still available.

eyedog
03-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Detroit is a good place for him. If the bills couldn't land him I did not want him in Miami.

DraftBoy
03-05-2004, 10:13 AM
It's obvious the guy was only concerned with money. Why would you pick the lions over the Bills or Phins who are both probable contenders?

Detroit is quickly turning into a contender in an ever weaker NFC North. They already have the QB (harrington) WR (Rodgers) and we all know they will get one of the top 5 RB in rd 2. If they get Taylor and maybe a solid WR, then you are looking at my favorites in the NFC North.

DraftBoy
03-05-2004, 10:19 AM
KFFL reports that WR Darrell Jackson has left Detroit after two days of talks with the FA WR. So that would be the solid WR they would need...

don137
03-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Woody will make 11.5 million the first year. 9million signing bonus, 500k roster bonus and 2 million salary to a player that came of a slight knee injury. That is why Detroit will always be losers. I don't care who you are an interior lineman making that much cash is crazy. How are they expected to get good players at the other positions?
I don't blame Woody for taking the cash. The first week of FA therealways seems to be a lot of overspending on players...

FischInMich
03-05-2004, 12:55 PM

Probable contendors? For the the AFC East, maybe. Superbowl? C'mon.

Going back over a decade, eh? 6 playoff appearances since 1991, including a conference game appearance is hardly what I would call "perennial losers".

Sure, we've been in the tank for 3 years now after Mr. TV man tore down the roster. . .but some nice pieces are falling into place.

My timetable is set at 2 more years to be in serious contention, barring some devastating injuries.

FischInMich
03-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by don137
Woody will make 11.5 million the first year. 9million signing bonus, 500k roster bonus and 2 million salary to a player that came of a slight knee injury. That is why Detroit will always be losers.

Don't misinterpret that 11.5 million. . .

Signing bonus money is paid upfront, but is prorated over the length of a contract for cap purposes. . .

That said, while he will pocket 11.5 million, Detroit's cap hit for this season will be 4 million.

Darrell Jackson left town. . .although he seemed happy when leaving. . .

Tai Streets in town today (said to be). . .

Historian
03-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy

Detroit is quickly turning into a contender in an ever weaker NFC North. They already have the QB (harrington) WR (Rodgers) and we all know they will get one of the top 5 RB in rd 2. If they get Taylor and maybe a solid WR, then you are looking at my favorites in the NFC North.

No kidding...same here.

Don't worry, I'm sure there's some old ex-Steeler out there that we can sign.

don137
03-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by FischInMich

Don't misinterpret that 11.5 million. . .

Signing bonus money is paid upfront, but is prorated over the length of a contract for cap purposes. . .

That said, while he will pocket 11.5 million, Detroit's cap hit for this season will be 4 million.

Darrell Jackson left town. . .although he seemed happy when leaving. . .

Tai Streets in town today (said to be). . .

I never said his salary will be 11.5 million. I said that is how much he will be making this year... 9 milllion signing bonus for an interior lineman is crazy...
Of course D Jax is happy leaving Detroit. Who isn't happy when they leave Detroit?

FischInMich
03-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Yeah, while if the Bills inked that contract, it would have been awesome.

As for leaving Detroit? The facilities here far supercede almost every team in the NFL, including the training facility.

He's gone because he wants sick money. Around 5 million a year to be exact. Maybe the Bills can afford that.

MDFINFAN
03-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by don137
Woody will make 11.5 million the first year. 9million signing bonus, 500k roster bonus and 2 million salary to a player that came of a slight knee injury. That is why Detroit will always be losers. I don't care who you are an interior lineman making that much cash is crazy. How are they expected to get good players at the other positions?
I don't blame Woody for taking the cash. The first week of FA therealways seems to be a lot of overspending on players...

THat is exactly why he's in Detroit, he's won two SB's, it's time to get paid, and Detroit more than gave him what he wanted..I'm glad our FO had some restaint in this, I was already nervous about the fact that we were giving him a 8 mil signing bonus, they were going to use Detroit to get us up the bid, but I'm glad Rick said no to that. That's just too much even though I liked and wanted to the guy in miami.