PDA

View Full Version : No more "projects"

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2004, 09:32 AM
I think we are just a few players away from a real solid team. I feel we need 2 more talented o linemen, a free safety, and a d end.

I hope that we are done with experiment/projects, ala McGahee, Marcus Jones, etc. I want to see the rest of free agency spent filling immediate needs. Not that whole best player available bs.

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Oh of course I'm assuming we land Troy Vincent. If we don't, the picture looks far more bleak.

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I think we are just a few players away from a real solid team. I feel we need 2 more talented o linemen, a free safety, and a d end.

I hope that we are done with experiment/projects, ala McGahee, Marcus Jones, etc. I want to see the rest of free agency spent filling immediate needs. Not that whole best player available bs.

I hear what your saying but how much did Marcus Jones and Keith McKenzie cost us. marcus Jones was a good player if he would have been able to get over his knee problem. We took very little risk trying to improve our team IMO. McGahee has yet to be determined but apparently he will be able to go full speed for minicamps and training camp.

Dozerdog
03-05-2004, 09:36 AM
What difference does it make if the 75th and 76th guy on your roster is a Marcus Jones or James Jett? What's the downside?

They don't count against the cap- they don't play favorites and start them over s more deserving player.

McGahee was an exception- very weak draft, a gift draft pick- and there were no immediate starters available for us to select. And the upside is he could be the next Barry Sanders.

I don't see the big fuss over it.

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I hear what your saying but how much did Marcus Jones and Keith McKenzie cost us. marcus Jones was a good player if he would have been able to get over his knee problem. We took very little risk trying to improve our team IMO. McGahee has yet to be determined but apparently he will be able to go full speed for minicamps and training camp.

Money wise, not much. But focus wise, who knows. I would rather see them bring in people who can make an immediate impact. I'm not knocking the McGahee pick - or the Jones experiment. I'm just saying that I feel this year TD should focus on THIS season.

Devin
03-05-2004, 09:38 AM
I gotta agree with Moulds we need a secondary speed demon at WR, takes the pressure off him and opened things up.

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
What difference does it make if the 75th and 76th guy on your roster is a Marcus Jones or James Jett? What's the downside?

They don't count against the cap- they don't play favrites and start them over s more deserving player.

McGahee was an exception- very weak draft, a gift draft pick- and there were no immediate starters available for us to select. And the upside is he could be the next Barry Sanders.

We could have picked Dallas Clark at TE instead of Willis.

I'm not saying that shouldn't have been the case last year. I'm just saying if it's our turn to draft, we better fill a need rather than go by that "best player available" crap.

Pride
03-05-2004, 09:42 AM
I agree. I think we are the rehab unit of the NFL. Send us your broken, unproven, "fixable" players, and we will show you an 8 - 8 season.

It started way back with RJ and has continued every year, with not a single one working out.

Lets go down the list

RJ, Flutie, Bledsoe, Sam Adams, Milloy, McGahee, (Every DE on the current roster), Pucillo, Flowers, etc

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm not saying we shouldn't fill up the roster with players to compete for spots, just don't waste the time and space with experiments.

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

We could have picked Dallas Clark at TE instead of Willis.

I'm not saying that shouldn't have been the case last year. I'm just saying if it's our turn to draft, we better fill a need rather than go by that "best player available" crap.

Again i hear what your saying but what if a player like Dallas Clark turns out to be a good player and McGahee a great player. Then we all ***** at TD for not taking a chance on a guy. I really like and understand the philosophy of take the best player available while also thinking about your needs.

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Again i hear what your saying but what if a player like Dallas Clark turns out to be a good player and McGahee a great player. Then we all ***** at TD for not taking a chance on a guy. I really like and understand the philosophy of take the best player available while also thinking about your needs.

Yes, I know. There would be a ton of second guessing.

I'm still fine with the McGahee pick last year. I just don't think we can afford another gamble like that this year. I think we are just a few players short of a playoff contender.

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Pride
I agree. I think we are the rehab unit of the NFL. Send us your broken, unproven, "fixable" players, and we will show you an 8 - 8 season.

It started way back with RJ and has continued every year, with not a single one working out.

Lets go down the list

RJ, Flutie, Bledsoe, Sam Adams, Milloy, McGahee, (Every DE on the current roster), Pucillo, Flowers, etc

You don't think Sam Adams helped us or Milloy helped. TD didn't draft Flowers.

Jeff1220
03-05-2004, 10:34 AM

Lets go down the list

Adams?
Milloy?
Schobel?

These guys have contributed their share for sure. Heck, the only guy on that list that seemed done with NFL football when we got him was Flutie. The only hurt one on the list is McGahee. He still might be great. The only unproven vet is RJ (Flutie would fit here too, I guess). Yes Pucillo and Flowers sucked, but they were no more unproven than any other player as a rookie.

TedMock
03-05-2004, 10:45 AM
RJ, Flutie and Flowers were all Butler's guys. Milloy and Adams were solid pick ups. Pucillo was just horrible but he was a standard day 2 OL depth pick. They usually don't have much impact. It's just a shot at a "hope they develope" but that with most late round picks. I still have a lot of hope for McGahee. Butler really put this team in a bad spot and, although people love to bash him, Donahoe had to work with what he was given. It took 3 years to put us in a decent cap situation and weed out a lot of the crap. We needed to sign a few cheaper retreads to ride out the storm. Unfortunately, Kevin Gilbride was hired and that was probably the biggest mistake made by TD.

TedMock
03-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Donahoe's had 3 drafts. Last year seemed like more gambles than the prior two. Look at 2000 (Butlers last) and tell me he didn't know he was leaving. (I know for a fact that he knew. His daughter is very good friends with my cousin and before the season started she told my cousin that they're moving to California next year). Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.theredzone.org/draft_history/showteam.asp?TeamID=4

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks I'm going to puke!:puke:

TedMock
03-05-2004, 10:55 AM
We still have to see what happens with a lot of last years picks but his first two drafts weren't bad at all. Take a look at some of the other teams. There aren't any more than usually 2 or 3 guys that end up being "impact" guys each year. In some cases it takes a few years for them to make their mark. Even the Ravens drafts show this.

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 10:57 AM
I have liked the drafts TD has done so far but that last one by Butler holy ****ing ****!:mad::madcurse:

TedMock
03-05-2004, 10:58 AM
oh yeah. he went into it not giving a rat's ass.

Tatonka
03-05-2004, 11:11 AM

Lets go down the list

wow.. i couldnt disagree more...

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

wow.. i couldnt disagree more...

:shake:

Ebenezer
03-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

They don't count against the cap- they don't play favorites and start them over s more deserving player.

Exactly...only the top 51 count right now...I'd stock up on players like that rather than a bunch of guys making 230,000 a year who aren't going to make the team. Would you have 5 James Jett (of which one might shake out) or 5 never-were wannabees that you know won't make the team??

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2004, 12:32 PM
I not saying not to take players who they can develop. Like young talent. I'm talking about expiriments. Like McGahee and Jones - who were/are not simply bottom barrel longshots.