PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

Devin
03-05-2004, 09:55 AM
1. Schobel is a FA next year, Henry/Clements the following. What kind of numbers do you think they will command? If schobel has another year like he did last year he could command slightly lower or = to Wistrom I think.

2. If we released Drew Bledsoe after enxt season what would the hit be and how much would we save? What could we get in a trade for him realistically?

3. If Henry has another 1300-1500 yard year could you see us trading willis? If so how high do you think we can get if Willis does well this season (by well I mean 700-1000 yards).

4. Drew Bledsoe is due a 2mill roster bonus on Nov 1. and if I remember right a 7 mill option or escalator (think thats the term) for the 2nd half of his contract......will the Bills sort this or bite the bullet?

Basically we have a relativley young team, very hard to fill a team with stars because they require star money.
I was thinkin if we drafted a QB this year, traded Willis for a pick next year (depending on his performance as lets face it one of the RB's will be gone at some point) and then after securing our own FA's and nailing down contract extensions used our picks on DE/Defensive Backfield/WR.

Basically nail down our guys with extensions and such and sort of keep FA next year to a minimum. Then position ourselves with possibly 2 #1 picks next year.

Just a thought its conservative but keeps us financially sound, young, and most of our guys stay put. Plus we wont need to bring in a ton of hired guns.

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Well I beleive Ebeneezer estimated our cap around 20 million under for next year but that doesn't include signing our draft picks from this year an dother free agents we might sign.

Devin
03-05-2004, 10:04 AM
really that high? TD worked some magic. Thats good news.

DraftBoy
03-05-2004, 10:38 AM
The way I see it is that if Willis shows flashes of him old self on a consistent basis Travis can pretty buy him a plane ticket, b.c I think its evident TD wants a flashy big play RB. Henry is not that...

Bledsoe will hopefully be traded for a DP next season but most likely cut before Sept. 1

Schoebel will prolly get a little less than Wistrom money b.c Grant has consistently put up the numbers Aaron struggled a little bit early on.

Devin
03-05-2004, 10:58 AM
while TD may very well want5 that, TH produces I mean back to back 1400 yarders aint to shabby. If he does it again this season it would be hard to argue his worth.

While I think Willis will be a great back eventually, i dont know how you could get rid of TH first.

Regardless any ideas/thoughts on the questions above anyone?

TedMock
03-05-2004, 11:04 AM
IF Willis is healthy (and that's a big IF) he's the superior RB. I love Henry, the guy's a warrior who's shown nothing but a big set of balls and a lot of heart. However, McGahee's a game breaker. Very few guys can change the momentum of a game on one play and, if healthy, he can. I would be happy with either guy.

The Natrix
03-05-2004, 11:14 AM
If Willis can come back strong, he may be the reason that Clements stays. It would be hard to give big contracts to Henry and Clements in the same year. Personally I think Clements is a fixture that needs to stay in Buffalo for all his effective years. If he walks at 26 years old, I'm going to be pissed.

TedMock
03-05-2004, 11:19 AM
I'd definitely like to see Clements stay. Maybe we get a sweet deal for Henry. I'm don't think we should shop him this year but if someone throws a ridiculous offer out there we'd have to entertain it.

Ebenezer
03-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Well I beleive Ebeneezer estimated our cap around 20 million under for next year but that doesn't include signing our draft picks from this year an dother free agents we might sign.

Lots of caveats on that one...by the time we sign our rookies this year and other FAs...and get our adjustments...we might only be looking at 8 mil...never know until this time next year.

Originally posted by Devin
1. Schobel is a FA next year, Henry/Clements the following. What kind of numbers do you think they will command?

2. If we released Drew Bledsoe after enxt season what would the hit be and how much would we save? What could we get in a trade for him realistically?

3. If Henry has another 1300-1500 yard year could you see us trading willis? If so how high do you think we can get if Willis does well this season (by well I mean 700-1000 yards).

4. Drew Bledsoe is due a 2mill roster bonus on Nov 1. and if I remember right a 7 mill option or escalator (think thats the term) for the 2nd half of his contract......will the Bills sort this or bite the bullet?

Basically we have a relativley young team, very hard to fill a team with stars because they require star money.
I was thinkin if we drafted a QB this year, traded Willis for a pick next year (depending on his performance as lets face it one of the RB's will be gone at some point) and then after securing our own FA's and nailing down contract extensions used our picks on DE/Defensive Backfield/WR.

Basically nail down our guys with extensions and such and sort of keep FA next year to a minimum. Then position ourselves with possibly 2 #1 picks next year.

Just a thought its conservative but keeps us financially sound, young, and most of our guys stay put. Plus we wont need to bring in a ton of hired guns.

1. Way to early to know. Call me next year.

2. As the contract sits right now DB would probably not be cut after next year. Buffalo has to decide what to do with a $7 mil bonus in November. If they give it to him he is $7 mil against the cap next year ($6 mil in base +$1 mil in prorated bonus). Plus the escalation of that bonus if released would be a total of $6 mil against next years cap. Buffalo will either buy him out for $2 mil this year or tear up the deal and start over. Stay tuned.

3. I do not believe we will trade WM. What is he worth? It would all be betting on his future. TH would actually be a commodity and his contract is sweet for some team...i.e., he is cheap.

4. See answer 1. The $2 mil is not a bonus...it is a buy-out if they do not pay him $7 mil. IF they pay him the $7 mil it is prorated. $1 mil goes against 2004 and each of the next 6 years. The rest of his deal is kicked in. These would be his cap numbers (to get his salary just subtract $1mil off each)

2005 $7 mil
2006 $7 mil
2007 $7.5 mil
2008 $8.5 mil
2009 $13 mil
2010 $14 mil
2011 $15 mil

You can bet he would not seen 2007 and beyond.