PDA

View Full Version : 6 High Schoolers Apply for NFL Draft

Demon
03-05-2004, 10:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-draftunderclassmen&prov=ap&type=lgns

Really weird. I didn't think it'd go this far.

The Spaz
03-05-2004, 10:53 PM
None will get drafted.

Voltron
03-05-2004, 10:54 PM
I wish all the teams would get together and agree not to draft anyone under a JR. How could it be against the law? I mean they can choose whom ever they want :huh:

chubluv
03-05-2004, 10:56 PM
So what happens if they dont get drafted or signed as a undrafteed free agent can they go to college and play football or did they just screw them self ?

Demon
03-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Are these some of the top high school players in America or just kids hoping for a break?? Sorry i dont fallow high school football. lol

Voltron
03-05-2004, 11:05 PM
If they apply for the draft (as a college player not sure about HS) they not only can't play college football anymore they screw the college out of whatever years they have left on their scholarship. The school that they played for is not allowed the scholarship dollars they used on said player until the original 4 years they were supposed to go to that school is over.

Cntrygal
03-06-2004, 02:03 AM
I hope they get laughed at.

Dozerdog
03-06-2004, 07:41 AM
We should have enetered Mikey into the NFL draft-

Ya never know!!!

helmetguy
03-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
I wish all the teams would get together and agree not to draft anyone under a JR. How could it be against the law? I mean they can choose whom ever they want :huh:

It's true that they can choose whomever they want. However, as was ruled in Clarett v. NFL, the League can't summarily deny them the opportunity for consideration based on age alone. What the League CAN do, according to the Clarett Ruling, is to devise a set of measurable standards to determine the physical/mental/emotional preparedness of the candidate. It's anyone's guess if anything like this is in the works at the moment, since the League is appealing the Ruling.

Where the League ran afoul in the first place was that they claimed their original "Three Year Rule" was part of the CBA with the NFLPA, which it isn't. Under the Sherman Anti-Trust and Clayton Acts, the NFL, being a monopoly, is unfairly restraining potential players (independent contractors) from entry into the marketplace using an arbitrarily designated age limitation. Because the NFL is the only football enterprize of its nature in the US, this age restriction is deemed to be an illegal restraint of trade.

That's the "qick and dirty" explanation. Stay tuned.

SABURZFAN
03-06-2004, 08:24 AM
high school football to college football is a big step.high school to the NFL is too big of a step.these kids would get killed.what is the average career in the NFL for NFL players?then what will they be doing after their playing days?i hope that they don't get drafted.

Captain gameboy
03-06-2004, 08:31 AM
I see some real issues with this. First, I think it's absurd that a high schooler could get drafted with the thought of entering immediately.
But if an NFL team wants to use a late round pick to take a risk on a kid to secure his rights when he's about 20 or so, I can see that. Many would be ready by then. It could go a few different ways

shelby
03-06-2004, 08:59 AM
i'd like to see more emphasis put on getting a college education for education's sake. i understand the lure of the NFL and a big salary....but these kids will have to retire from football eventually, so having an education to fall back upon is a good thing.

The Spaz
03-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Can you see a High School DE going up against Mike Williams.:rofl:

Throne Logic
03-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by gameboy
I see some real issues with this. First, I think it's absurd that a high schooler could get drafted with the thought of entering immediately.
But if an NFL team wants to use a late round pick to take a risk on a kid to secure his rights when he's about 20 or so, I can see that. Many would be ready by then. It could go a few different ways

Exactly how would they get ready? They certainly aren't going to take the time to teach basic skills to these kids. There's just too much to do on any given week with the true professionals.

Now, let's assume that they draft a kid and put him in NFL Europe and the Arena League for 2-3 years. Now, let's further assume that this kid manages to learn and advance in these leagues to the point where he might make a viable NFL player. At that point, his rookie contract is up and that team is looking at having to resign this player who they've spent the time and money on to train. Just doesn't make sense to even try this.

helmetguy
03-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Becoming "eligible" for the draft and being actually drafted are two different things, as well. An NFL GM/Owner (unless you're AL Davis or Dan Snyder) would be hard pressed to justify bringing in a high schooler with a draft pick. The draft is only seven rounds, so it is difficult for any NFL front office to justify reaching past all four NCAA competition levels to take a chance on some drippy nosed high schooler. In the end, it's going to be on the kid if he wants to take the risk of throwing away an opportunity to gain experience at the college level before attempting to make it in the NFL. I do have to wonder, though. Of the six HS seniors that have applied for draft eligibilty, how many even had a shot at a college scholarship? Clarett is a bonehead that probably wouldn't have been able to maintain academic eligibility anyway. Are these kids academic risks as well?

RedEyE
03-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by shelby
i'd like to see more emphasis put on getting a college education for education's sake. i understand the lure of the NFL and a big salary....but these kids will have to retire from football eventually, so having an education to fall back upon is a good thing.

:bf1:

Captain gameboy
03-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

Exactly how would they get ready? They certainly aren't going to take the time to teach basic skills to these kids. There's just too much to do on any given week with the true professionals.

Now, let's assume that they draft a kid and put him in NFL Europe and the Arena League for 2-3 years. Now, let's further assume that this kid manages to learn and advance in these leagues to the point where he might make a viable NFL player. At that point, his rookie contract is up and that team is looking at having to resign this player who they've spent the time and money on to train. Just doesn't make sense to even try this.

There is no existing support system for this in the NFL, but there is in other sports.
There are some high school kids who are clearly headed for the NFL that will not attend college, and if this thing takes root, there will be more.
Rather than have them running around on their own, there could be a formal prep program funded by the NFl that they attend for a few years. That would be a relatively small risk to an NFL team to have rights on such a prospect.
I don't like the concept of 18 year olds focusing on pro football,, but the cat is out of the bag, and there isn't much to stop it.

Dozerdog
03-06-2004, 11:04 AM
I'd be highly speculative that these 6 kids are even the best HS kids in their areas, let alone NFL caliber. I'll bet a bunch of them did it on a lark, with no expedtation or desire to go to college.

The NFL holds "job interviews" - both at the combines and at campus work outs. The best "resume's" (Draft applications) are picked- just like in the regular work world. Then there is the draft, and guys get hired.

Without combine numbers, or even game footage- no one is going to even bother with these 6

ShadowHawk7
03-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Hey guys, next time u see me, I'll be riding a fitdy mill. contract in a star studded Bills uniform. Who gives a bite that I'm only a Freshie! Pre-order your uniforms at NFLshop.com now!! Prepared to be BLOWN AWAY! :boom: Hey Drew, get your bags and get the hell outta town, cuz I'm arriving soon... PREACH! :shades: :cool: :$: :ladysman: :100: :bling: :dj

ShadowHawk7
03-06-2004, 12:20 PM
:lolcry: :jk: :lolhit: