PDA

View Full Version : reason no pass rush......not enough Posey

schobelisdaman
03-06-2004, 06:15 PM
I think the Bills shouldnt sign or draft a DE but instead use Poseys natural ability to rush the passer. Last year he played in just the nickel(not dime or quarter)....he recorded 5.5 sacks a forced fumble and caused a saftey on David Carr. Now we could take Phillip Rivers out of NC State or recievers like Rashaun Woods out of Oklahoma State, Lee Evans out of Wisconsin, or Micheal Clayton out of LSU. This is just one more of the many examples of misusage of players and bad coaching on the part of Gregg Williams.

The Spaz
03-06-2004, 06:21 PM
He plays a different position with the Bills then he did with the Texans. He plays against the pass a lot more than he did before signing with us. Garnted we do need to use him more but I as just pointing out that he played a 3-4 defense before.

Bert102176
03-06-2004, 06:37 PM
since Grey took over as DC our OLB's have not been used right

The Spaz
03-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
since Grey took over as DC our OLB's have not been used right

I'm not saying Grey is a genius by any means but we did rank 9th in sacks and our D did rank #2 total. I just jope we can maintain that.

Bert102176
03-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I don't really like Grey, I think last years defense was good do to Dick Labou not sure how to spell his last name

The Spaz
03-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I don't really like Grey, I think last years defense was good do to Dick Labou not sure how to spell his last name

We shall see this year. Lets hope Grey at least learned a little from Lebeau.:up:

ScottLawrence
03-06-2004, 06:44 PM
I dont think so...... Dick LeaBue even said Jerry Gray called ALL of the plays last year.

The Spaz
03-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
I dont think so...... Dick LeaBue even said Jerry Gray called ALL of the plays last year.

You are right LEbeau said that's one of the reasons why he left he said he helped with the D but wasn't involved like he would have liked.

LtBillsFan66
03-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I'm not saying Grey is a genius by any means but we did rank 9th in sacks and our D did rank #2 total. I just jope we can maintain that.

We were 30th or below in take-aways the last 3 years.

The Spaz
03-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone

We were 30th or below in take-aways the last 3 years.

I'm not disputing that.:up:

Goobylal
03-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Yep, LeBeau said that he wasn't involved as much as he'd hoped, and it made the situation "akward." Gray called the plays, and after he was retained as DC of the Bills this year, he talked about how Williams didn't allow Gray to be as aggressive as he wanted to be. Needless to say Gray WILL be more aggressive this year, and I even heard talk of going to more cover-2.

Throne Logic
03-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Despite the ranking last year, I never really felt that this defense was consistent. They would dominate for a couple of series, maybe even for an entire half, but then opponents would make adjustments and Buffalo couldn't match those adjustments.

They always seemed to have horrible timing for the one or two drives where they fell apart. Just when they were needed the most . . .

This defense needs to grow to a point where they are reliable when it comes down to 2 minutes left in the 4th, up by 3 points or less.

Goobylal
03-07-2004, 12:01 AM
The Bills were 2nd in yards allowed and 5th in points allowed. Considering the offense led the NFL in 3-and-outs, that put the defense in bad spots ALL year long. A lot of the times when the defense ran out of gas at the end of games, the offense failed to do anything and thus the defense was on the field a lot. I hope to see the defense perform even better with a more ball-controlled offense, more aggression, and I hope they add a DT like Wilfork, who can rotate with Sam and Pat and provide the inside rush.

Throne Logic
03-07-2004, 12:05 AM
That would be wonderful, Goobylal. I would love nothing more than to feel confident about this defense.

They have a whole lot of talent and should be able to patch a couple of weak spots between now and September.

Just have to wait and see how it turns out. . . like every year.

Goobylal
03-07-2004, 12:11 AM
True we'll have to wait and see. The Bills lost a lot of coaching experience with the departures of GW and DLB, but I'd be a lot more worried if Gray hadn't been calling plays last year, and DLB's admission that he didn't have as much input as he would have liked also makes me feel better that the defensive turnaround wasn't due largely to him. But again, as you said, time will tell.

Tatonka
03-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Despite the ranking last year, I never really felt that this defense was consistent. They would dominate for a couple of series, maybe even for an entire half, but then opponents would make adjustments and Buffalo couldn't match those adjustments.

They always seemed to have horrible timing for the one or two drives where they fell apart. Just when they were needed the most . . .

This defense needs to grow to a point where they are reliable when it comes down to 2 minutes left in the 4th, up by 3 points or less.

we are on the same brain wave tonight.

Bmax
03-07-2004, 01:17 AM
we dropped a lot of int's last year maybe our lb's and db's should spend more practice time catching the football.....

Bmax

The_Philster
03-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Goobylal
Yep, LeBeau said that he wasn't involved as much as he'd hoped, and it made the situation "akward." Gray called the plays, and after he was retained as DC of the Bills this year, he talked about how Williams didn't allow Gray to be as aggressive as he wanted to be. Needless to say Gray WILL be more aggressive this year, and I even heard talk of going to more cover-2.

I certainly hope we see a lot more aggressive play..or whomever we have replacing Winfield is gonna get burned a lot if they put him in Prevent all the time.