PDA

View Full Version : Why would these high school kids apply for the draft?

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-07-2004, 09:15 AM
These kids have applied for the draft:

1. Joe Banks, a RB from New Directions Academy High School
2. John Belisle, QB of Capac Community High School in Capac, Mich
3. Earl Fields, DT of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga
4. Joe Lee, WR of Gates High School in Tacoma, Wash
5. Ethan Mitchell, RB of Flowers High School in Springdale, Md.
6. Ken Petitt, OT of Redford High School in Detroit

None of them are in the top 25 recruits. Only Petitt was an honorable mention for the all state team.Running back Ethan Mitchell of Springdale, Md., and Flowers High School, never played for the varsity, while running back Joe Banks is from New Directions Academy High School, a Baltimore school for developmentally disabled children, according to the Post.

Quarterback John Belisle of Capac (Mich.) Community High School and defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga., were not on their school's 2003 rosters, while wide receiver Joe Lee of Tacoma, Wash., lists Gates High School, an alternative school that doesn't even have a football team, the Post reports.

Why would an NFL team possibly waste a pick or a FA roster spot on these kids. Even if they were to develop into something, by the time they did their contracts would be up.

Why waste the NFLs time?

justasportsfan
03-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Charles Barkley was right when he said the NBA is turning out to be a breeding ground for future stars instead of a league of what already has seasoned players because the NBa has taken raw players out of college.

The NFL is following.

Gunzlingr
03-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Nobody has picked them yet. They probably did it to get their names in the papers since they will never play in college, let alone the NFL.

Dozerdog
03-07-2004, 09:43 AM
I think most of them did it on a lark- None even have a remote chance of being stars in college let alone the NFL.

"Hey- I was the first High school kid on my block to apply for the draft"

When DREW HENSON is a suprise pick in the 6th round last year, it's highly unlikely they will even get mentioned. There is no combine numbers, footage, or any other basis for GMs to even consider them.

People are over-reacting to this news.

Look at this year's draft- only 3 sophomores are even being considered- and 2 of those are top 5 picks. I would see it as a problem if 25-30 sophomores and a dozen freshmen (without baggage- Like Maurice Clarrett) began to drop out in hopes of playing in the NFL.

When the NFL doesn't select any of them, then you will see them stay in school

BIGDAWG
03-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately because they can:coffee:

TigerJ
03-07-2004, 07:04 PM
I have to admit, that until I read this thread, I knew nothing about them. It sounds like Dozerdog has it right. It also sounds like they have nothing to lose, unlike a player who has a chance to develop in college. These guys are losers who were on the way to oblivion before the judge in the Clarett case gave them their chance for 15 seconds of fame.

helmetguy
03-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Like I said in another thread, these guys probably can't even get into a college program academically.

As for the Clarett Ruling, look for the NFL to lose on appeal, butwork out a plan with the NFLPA to work out a "minimum standard of qualification" that essentially circumvents the Clarett decision.

Forward_Lateral
03-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Let all the young punks hire an agent and apply, when the go undrafted and fail to make in the NFL, they will be sorry when they are exiled to the CFL or NFL Europe, if they are lucky enough to make it there. People don't realize that the NFL is a man's sport, it's not the NBA, or the National Ballet Association as I like to call it.