The case against Chris Watson? Ball-derdash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly The Dog
    • Jul 2002

The case against Chris Watson? Ball-derdash!

Everyone seems to be blaming Chris Watson and in turn Jerry Gray and GW for this horrendous idea and that dreaded scheme word of putting poor terrible Chris on the best team's WRs and watching them manhandle him. Several posters seem to think Gray or GW should be fired, if not change the entire defense because of it.

Phooeey, I say!

Let's look at the games:

The Jets best receiver by far is Wayne Chrebet. His big play? He schooled Clements (or was it Winfield) for a wide open 21 yard TD. The other Td was against Prioleau by Brecht for 1 yard. Chrebet caught 5-58 passes, with few if any against Watson. Moss caught 1-17 and Coles 4-32. He hardly played a hand in that loss.

The Vikings have Randy Moss, and this was before they imploded. Watson covered him off and on and while he had numerous catches, 11-110 or so he was held in check. He had a 2 yard TD. Several oher guys were covering him on his catches as well as Bates who hurt us and Kleinsasser? The culprit on the defense that game? The run D, but we won anyway by stopping them 3 and out twice in OT.

The Broncos? It's a toss up but Rod Smith and McCaffrey are both excellent receivers. Rod Smith's memorable play? Schooling Winfield (or was it Clements) for a wide open 25+ yard TD. McCaffrey's big playin a 3-34 day? Deep down the middle and crushed by Prioleau. At the very most, Watson gave up 6 catches for 60 yards and no scores and no big plays. Reason we lost? The TD by Smith and Portis running wild. Watson actually played quite well in that game despite getting picked on.

The Bears best receiver? Marty Booker. Leading the league in yards receiving? What did he do against Watson and the Bills? 4-82 and no scores. His longest play? 33 yards against Bostic the one play that Watson went out. He was a non-factor and it was likely his worst game this year. The Bears threw for 188 yards and we won.

The Raiders best receiver? I'd say Tim Brown although you may argue Jerry Rice. Rice's two big plays? Beating Winfield deep for 33 yards. Side-stepping Clements for a TD down the sidelines. Rice had 4-77. Most of those yards were the 33 yard bomb against AW and the 20 yard TD against Clements. Brown was basically a non-factor with 4-55. The guys who killed us? Garner and Porter. Watson again gave up a few passes and a couple crucial third downs but wasn't even close to being the goat in this game. The other Raider TD's? Wire and Prioleau missing assignments on Porter and Garners long catches.

The Texans best receiver? Neither are great but Bradford had two big plays. The 81 yard bomb was against Watson but it didnt hurt us bad, we gave up a FG and it was more a perfect pass than bad coverage IMO. Watson CLEARLY blew the Gaffney TD, who isnt their best receiver, as Chris actually made four bad plays in one (soft coverage, slow reaction, poor close, and then missed tackle) You cannot play a play worse than that. But that was the only one. Bradford caught an 18 yarder i think on 3rd and 18 but it was a terrific pass and terrific catch on the sidelines. And again, we won the game.

Watson has not played well, period. That is not what I'm saying. But he has played the equal of his more highly regarded counterparts, and has gotten little help from anyone. He hasnt cost us one game himself. The defense needs help but you cannot IMO come close to blaming it on Watson, or the scheme that he covers one side that allows the other teams best receiver to abuse him. Or any receiver for that matter.
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I love to bust on Watson because it is soooo easy... yet you are absolutely correct... It hasn't been a complete disaster. Defensive scheme has a lot to do with this...we need to find a system that fits our players.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

When he isn't committing any penalties, he's been getting burned. I say he get's the first INT,however. Teams like to throw at him, eventually he'll get one ...against the fins
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

He's starting to remind me of how Kenny Irvin played last year after getting demoted to nickel back.
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

The rams' D tried to change their scheme into an aggressive one just like the Bills. Result? 0-5. They went back to their D from the last few years w/c was conservative and the result is, they beat the Raiders.
          GW's D might have worked for him when he was w/ the Titans, but we don't have the players that fit it and we are prone to big plays.
          sacrifice1

Comment

• Drewpac
            • Jul 2002

He isn't terrible, but he's below average right now. I think he's lost his confidence. Early in the season he was getting beat or called for penalties but with nearly blanket coverage. He would be right with the receiver and immediately tackle him after the catch. Now that he's lost his confidence he's playing way off of the receiver's and they are just burning him.

Comment

• casdhf
              • Jul 2002

phooeey
              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Drewpac
                He isn't terrible, but he's below average right now. I think he's lost his confidence. Early in the season he was getting beat or called for penalties but with nearly blanket coverage. He would be right with the receiver and immediately tackle him after the catch. Now that he's lost his confidence he's playing way off of the receiver's and they are just burning him.
                I think you're absolutely right.....I'm sure that was Kenny's problem last year after his demotion. He hadn't been playing badly before the demotion...the coaches just wanted Clements in there because he was more of a playmaker
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                  • Jul 2002

He was much worse last year to be truthful. But like others have said here, he still isn't playing well enough that we can't easily find another to replace him for cheap.

Just watch him sometime. He gets behind early and always has to "catch up" or he ends up getting spun around by the better WRs.

He's messed up plenty this year. I'm not even sure about that entire litany up top, but from what I've seen, his worst stuff isn't even included in the assessment. Our entire secondary is playing worse this year than last which is puzzling.
                  Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                    • Jul 2002

Winfield is not playing well either while we're on the topic. At least he can make tackles though. That sorry, lame, excuse of a "tackle" on rookie Gaffney by Watson on Sunday was shameful!!!
                    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Drewpac
                      • Jul 2002

I agree Wys. We should have gone after Bryant Westbrook while he was available. He had a pick this week v. the Pats and I know he's better than Watson.

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                        He was much worse last year to be truthful. But like others have said here, he still isn't playing well enough that we can't easily find another to replace him for cheap.

Just watch him sometime. He gets behind early and always has to "catch up" or he ends up getting spun around by the better WRs.

He's messed up plenty this year. I'm not even sure about that entire litany up top, but from what I've seen, his worst stuff isn't even included in the assessment. Our entire secondary is playing worse this year than last which is puzzling.

I honestly don't remember him playing that poorly last year but i think I just wasn't paying close enough attention because he WAS an improvement over how Kenny started playing.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                          • Jul 2002

he was far better than Irvin last year. In fact, Donohoe and GW were both gushing in the off season about him as a nickel back. And even if you hate GW you can't hate TD for player evaluation, it's against the law. Irvin gave up numerous touchdowns, long passes and interference penalties in the endzone. Watson gives up mostly 10 yard passes in front of him and ticky tack penalties in the middle of the field. I am not, again, saying he has played well by any stretch of the imagination. But he is far better than Irvin, and hasnt killed us like a lot of folks seem to think.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Re: The case against Chris Watson? Ball-derdash!

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
                            Everyone seems to be blaming Chris Watson and in turn Jerry Gray and GW for this horrendous idea and that dreaded scheme word of putting poor terrible Chris on the best team's WRs and watching them manhandle him. Several posters seem to think Gray or GW should be fired, if not change the entire defense because of it.

Phooeey, I say!

You're right. Let's blame Rob Johnson. It's always his fault.

Seriously though, GW fired Sheppard for his WCO and who should we fire for this lackluster D. We hired vets and the team has no drastic injuries so who's to blame? After the first half of the texans, GW looked like he was the worse HC that grazed the Bills. Wade has a winning record as a HC for the bills. If it wasn't for Cotrell....

As far as GW is concerned all I can say so far is, if it wasn't for Gilbride and Drew........
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• Rebecky
                              • Aug 2002

I agree, JustaSportsFan --

And it's a shame -- I gather that GW is a basically nice guy, decent human being who really loves football. I was hoping that after last year's debacle, he'd study hard and learn how to be a solid HC, but I don't think he's going to make it. This defense should be looking better by now, and apparently he and his compadre JG are clueless.

Comment

Working...
                              X