PDA

View Full Version : Bills show interest in QB Volek

shelby
03-08-2004, 04:51 AM
Bills | Interested in Volek - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 00:49:42 -0800

The Tennessean reports the Buffalo Bills are interested in free agent QB Billy Volek (Titans) and would like to set up a visit with him.

Tennessee wants to keep him, and he has visited the Falcons, and will visit the Broncos and the Packers.

The_Philster
03-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Still without a deal with the Titans, quarterback Billy Volek left for Green Bay last night and is scheduled to meet with Packers officials today.

His agent was also in the process of setting up a visit with the Broncos in the coming days. The Bills have also entered the picture and would like for Volek to visit as well.

Meanwhile, the Titans and Volek continue to discuss a long-term deal, and while no progress was made over the weekend, the two sides aren't too far apart in contract negotiations. The two sides have swapped several proposals since Volek became an unrestricted free agent last week, and the Titans would like to re-sign him....
more (http://tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/04/03/47960853.shtml?Element_ID=47960853)

Jeff1220
03-08-2004, 06:18 AM
When everybody wakes up/gets to work, this thread is going to bust wide open.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 06:28 AM
No!

WNYnut
03-08-2004, 06:57 AM
oh good, our prayers have been answered....start planning the superbowl parade!

Pride
03-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Umm.... I am still gunshy after RJ. I would take a proven rookie, over an unproven Vet. Unless he is only to replace VanPelt, but that is only a lateral move for him, so I doubt he would be interested.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 07:43 AM
I bet Green Bay gets him!

TigerJ
03-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Competition will drive the price up. TD doesn't like that and will only go so high. This is only one option. If TD gets someone in free agency, fine. If not there is the draft, and I think this is a pretty good draft for QBs.

Gunzlingr
03-08-2004, 08:10 AM
would you rather have Volek or Henson?

Patrick76777
03-08-2004, 08:11 AM
The Tennessean reports the Buffalo Bills are interested in free agent QB Billy Volek (Titans) and would like to set up a visit with him.

Got this from KFFL!

Patrick76777
03-08-2004, 08:13 AM
sorry, too late!

Pride
03-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Henson isnt a proven rookie... argument invalid

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 08:22 AM
A one game wonder in the RJ mold. No thanks. Taking Titan leftovers has done us little good. Let's get Henson or a decent draft pick.

Pride
03-08-2004, 08:23 AM
http://www.fites.net/pride/fun/invite.jpg :biggrin:

Novacane
03-08-2004, 08:26 AM
There is no such thing as a proven rookie.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Classic.

Gunzlingr
03-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Seriously, How is Henson any better? At least Volek has been in the league awhile. Henson has been failing at baseball for awhile. My thought is I would rather throw a little money toward a vet than at a unknown who never really has done anything. I am not high on either, just asking.

elltrain22
03-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Actually, from what i have seen from Billy Volek, in college and the pros, I really like what i see. I think he may be the next Jake Delhomme if someone where to give him a chance, but i do see how everyone is so sublime about this post.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Gunzlingr
Seriously, How is Henson any better? At least Volek has been in the league awhile. Henson has been failing at baseball for awhile. My thought is I would rather throw a little money toward a vet than at a unknown who never really has done anything. I am not high on either, just asking.

College performance. Athleticism. Arm strength. Accuracy. Mechanics. Intelligence.

Gunzlingr
03-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
College performance. Athleticism. Arm strength. Accuracy. Mechanics. Intelligence.

How do we know this about Henson? I understand he didn't even that many college games, and seems uninterested in the sport. How long has it been since he has been on the field? :idunno:

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Volek has NFL playing experience and Henson doesn't, meaning that Volek would not need quite the "breaking in" period that Henson would if the need arose. If, for whatever reason, Bledsoe is unable to go, the backup had better be prepared. Let's just not make the same mistake Butler did and bring in the guy based on one decent game and "annoint" him as the starter.

baalworship
03-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Henson is a project. Volek is a QB that has the tools. For all those who said he only played well in one game, he was killing us in pre-season as well. Volek has several years of NFL seasoning and is much more ready than Henson at this point. Volek is NOT A SCRUB. He kept #1 overall draft pick David Carr on the bench at Fresno State for 2 years.

In the Bills game, we threw the kitchen sink at this guy and he didn't crumble. He ran around, threw accurate strikes all over the field. Antoine Winfield's WORST game as a Bill came with Volek challenging him over and over. He also showed mobility and pocket presence that DB lacks. I am not putting him in the Pro-Bowl yet but he has a lot of things going for him.

NFL arm strength & accuracy
mobility
accuracy on the move
pocket presence

Here are his college stats:

Fresno State: Returns for his senior season as the undisputed starter... honorable mention All-WAC Pacific Division selection in 1997 ... has good arm strength and a nice touch ... a tremendous athlete ... one of best assets is decision making ... gives Fresno State an added dimension because of his running ability.(1998) Finished second in the WAC in passing efficiency with a rating of 131.7 … fifth in the conference in total offense with 1,955 yards … was the starter for all 11 games, completing 151 passes for 1,973 yards with 10 touchdowns and just three interceptions … threw for a career-best 349 yards on 19 completions in a loss at Texas Tech … had a season-high three passing touchdowns in the win over Hawaii … had a career-long 63-yard pass from scrimmage. (1997) Was one of the WAC's biggest surprises in 1997, throwing for 17 touchdowns and just six interceptions in his first season as a starter ... had not taken a major college snap prior to 1997 ... completed 56 percent of his passes and threw for 1,853 yards ... finished fifth in the WAC in passing efficiency with a 118.8 rating ... had one stretch of 204 consecutive pass attempts without an interception ... had three 200-yard passing games, including a then career-best 288-yard effort in an overtime loss to Oregon.

27 TD's to 9 INT's in college over 2 years.

TedMock
03-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Well, his TD/INT ratio is good. I'll never discount that because that's what's really important. Other than that he screams average. He may be the next Delhomme, we have no idea. Henson may be the next Roger Starbauch too. He sat out a few years as well. We just don't know. As far as the baseball player argument that's just not a valid point. Can't a guy like more than one sport? A lot of guys get drafted in more than one sport and a lot of guys (Moulds, T.O., Moss, etc.) admit that they're not playing their favorite game. I've heard all of them say basketball is their first love. Heck, I've heard Allen Iverson say that football was his favorite sport (and apparently he was an awesome H.S. QB) on the John Thompson show but he was recruited to play basketball because colleges felt that he wouldn't make it through a football season with his frame.

Novacane
03-08-2004, 09:04 AM

Seems I remember hearing those same things said about some guy named Ryan Leaf :naughty:

Earthquake Enyart
03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Wow. Volek tore up the WAC. :eek:

So did Dinwiddie. So did both Detmers. :cynic:

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Wow. Volek tore up the WAC. :eek:

So did Dinwiddie. So did both Detmers. :cynic:

Thank You.

baalworship
03-08-2004, 09:15 AM
The guy has been good whenever he started. I'll take Volek over Drew "8 games" Henson any day of the week.

Earthquake Enyart
03-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Thank You.

Any time.

So did Dennis Shaw. :eek:

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 09:17 AM
He also did a very good job against a top 5 defense in the NFL-

If a gun was put to muy head- I'd take Volek over Henson. One good game last year trumps a couple of good games in college 6 years ago.

baalworship
03-08-2004, 09:28 AM
The guy threw for 2 TD's and ran one in against us as well as throwing for 296 yards. I am sure Tom Donahoe noticed this. If we get Volek and Bledsoe falters, DB will never get his job back.

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 09:43 AM
I like Volek a lot. Even before he tore up the #2 D in the league, the Titans were always raving about him, saying that they have it a lot easier if McNair goes down, then they did in previous years.

The RJ argument is childish. Volek won't get a huge contract, and the Titans won't get a 1st rounder, and a 4th. If anything, you should be happy that the Bills have learned from the RJ situation, so they wouldn't give up nearly RJs price tag. Try to see that everyone who hasn't proved themselves is not Rob Johnson. Come on, you can do it! I know RJ has damaged your fragile psyche.

Hopefully getting Volek would coincide with the end of the Bledose era. With Bledsoe's current contract, Cutting him and signing Volek, would actually save the Bills money. Volek could start immediately since he has been learning behind one of the best QBs out there. I would rather have a QB that has learned from McNair, than I would one picking up Bledsoe's "skills."

If Volek was obtained and Bledsoe was cut, I would like to see a QB drafted somewhere in rounds 3-5. This would give the Bills some solid insurance, and possibly the QB of the future. Even I am not 100% sold on Volek. Also, this would allow Buffalo to get some "impact " players in the first couple rounds.

baalworship
03-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Great post Natrix. While we don't no how good Volek will be, I think most will agree he is capable of throwing for more than 11 TD's and having less than 24 TO's.

Dantheman1280
03-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Voleck is not the answer! we NEED to draft a QB! the draft is very deep this year. We could get a quality pick rounds 1-6.

don137
03-08-2004, 12:27 PM
The Nashville Tennessean reports free-agent QB Billy Volek (Titans) left for Green Bay last night and is scheduled to meet with Packers officials today. His agent was also in the process of setting up a visit with the Broncos in the coming days. The Bills have also entered the picture and would like for Volek to visit as well. Meanwhile, the Titans and Volek continue to discuss a long-term deal, and while no progress was made over the weekend, the two sides aren't too far apart in contract negotiations. The two sides have swapped several proposals since Volek became an unrestricted free agent last week, and the Titans would like to re-sign him.
http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Merge!:up:

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 12:35 PM
I think this is pretty promising for those of us who would like to see him come to Buffalo because he will not start in Green Bay for sure and most likely won't start in Denver.

Cut Bledsoe. Sign Volek. Draft a QB.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I think this is pretty promising for those of us who would like to see him come to Buffalo because he will not start in Green Bay for sure and most likely won't start in Denver.

He has a better chance with Green Bay because most likely this is Favre's last year and "if" Bledose returns to form then Volek rides the pine.

Novacane
03-08-2004, 12:39 PM

:deadhorse :D

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

He has a better chance with Green Bay because most likely this is Favre's last year and "if" Bledose returns to form then Volek rides the pine.

It's more likely that Farve plays four more years than Bledsoe returns to "form." What is this "form" you speak of, anyways? He was never good in the first place.

Novacane
03-08-2004, 12:47 PM

It's more likely that Farve plays four more years than Bledsoe returns to "form." What is this "form" you speak of, anyways? He was never good in the first place.

:bf1:

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 12:47 PM

Oh jesus whatever I'm not even getting on this subject...

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 12:53 PM
How about "if" he plays better is that alright with you?:rolleyes:

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Here's a thought. We can satisfy everyone who has written off Bledso as a scrub by dumping him, but at the same time re-hiring KG to be the OC again. If nothing else, it might help establish who really was to blame for that mess last year. What do ya think, Spaz? Think anyone would want to try it?

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Merge!:up:

:up:

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Here's a thought. We can satisfy everyone who has written off Bledso as a scrub by dumping him, but at the same time re-hiring KG to be the OC again. If nothing else, it might help establish who really was to blame for that mess last year. What do ya think, Spaz? Think anyone would want to try it?

I think it's a good idea!:up:

Novacane
03-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Bledsoe has struggled with many more OC's than just Gilbride. Why was Charlie Weiss never considered a "geinus" when Drew was there.

Gilbride sucked, no doubt about it but Drew did too. We shall see. His excuses are gone.

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 01:22 PM
So it wasn't just Bledsoe? You mean, someone else might have had a hand in that mess? Really? Damn! And just when I was ready to turn in my "Ostrich Club" card?

HAMMER
03-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Volek would be a great pickup, he has all the intangibles and decent physical skills. Football is about winning and making good decisions, not who can run the fastest or throw the hardest. Volek showed me enough in the last couple years when he relieved McNair.

Sign him to a reasonable deal, release AVP and Brown and let him and Drew battle it out. I think he has what it takes and I don't give players that kind of credit lightly.

The_Philster
03-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
So it wasn't just Bledsoe? You mean, someone else might have had a hand in that mess? Really? Damn! And just when I was ready to turn in my "Ostrich Club" card?

:jawdrop: And here we've been getting told it was all Bledsoe.

Buffatexas
03-08-2004, 08:59 PM
I know I got shot to h**l before for even bring this up but I will try it again. Whether we draft a QB or bring in Volek, chances are that Drew is our guy barring injury. Now, did New England have a QB coach when they won the SB over the Rams? I don't believe they did and they had 1st year starter Tom Brady (cause Drew busted a lung). Who was in the headset for Brady? Drew. And where is Brady now? Maybe not the best out there but he does get the job done. He had to learn from someone right? Who is to say that Drew was not somehow responsible for Brady's success thus far? I am not trying to justify Bledsoe's existence nor trying to say that last year was not Drew's fault, but I feel that as of right now Drew is essential for the here and now of the Bills and if we cut him and bank our season on Volek and a rookie, then we are looking at possbly a higher draft pick than 13.

elltrain22
03-08-2004, 09:03 PM
It is nice to see that our new coaching staff is preparing for a possible Bledsoe meltdown. And i agree w/ most of you when i say that Billy Volek would be a nice pickup, and probably would be pretty cheap at that .

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 09:05 PM
If we can save a high pick by signing Volek cheap- I'm all for it

Mr. Cynical
03-09-2004, 12:19 AM

:clap: Best plan at the moment.

(although I'd rather replace Volek with Ramsey in that scenario....but I know that's even less likely to happen)