PDA

View Full Version : Volek or Henson?

Gunzlingr
03-08-2004, 08:34 AM
realizing that we don't know what either would cost, would you rather have a completely unknown QB in Henson, or a relative unknown QB in Volek? I don't care for either, but I think I would rather go with Volek, for no other reason than he at least has been in the league. Henson, IMO, is a wild gamble. What do you think?

elltrain22
03-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Good question. I would choose Volek, simply b/c he has NFL experience and Henson does not.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Rob Johnson, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, et. al. have or had NFL experience as well.

Gunzlingr
03-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Rob Johnson, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, et. al. have or had NFL experience as well.

Todd Blackledge, Jeff George, Ryan Leaf were all hot rookie prospects that never panned out in the long haul either Quid Pro Quo.

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 09:05 AM
George panned out talent wise and put up some decent numbers. He was the classic examplle of the million dollar arm and 10 cent head. He was just a lousy leader.

Novacane
03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Volek.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Ever since RJ, I'm leary of one game wonders - although Volek has played in more game than RJ had when we signed him.

If he's cheap, we'll probably sign him. We seem to be in bargain basement mode this FA season.

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 09:11 AM
As far as the poll- depends on costs-

Volek will probably get around $2 million per season (loaded with incentives). A bit steep for a backup- but pretty cheap as a starter (like Dellahomme) -

Henson wants 1st round money (2-3 million a year- Guaranteed for the first 5-6 years) and currently will cost a 3rd round 2005 pick. If you wait- he could be had for a 2nd or 3rd rounder ( I beleive he could last till the 4th round) , in which case he would come considerably cheaper- between $400 K and $250K, but he could hold out and want more.

Henson becomes a big risk on and off the field. Right now, I'd probably pass on both and draft a Loseman in the 2nd, or someone else in the 3rd or 4th

Novacane
03-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
As far as the poll- depends on costs-

. Right now, I'd probably pass on both

That would be my first choice too.

Gunzlingr
03-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
That would be my first choice too.

mine too. I would rather not have to deal with either, but since we have shown interest in these two I thought I would pose the question.

Bert102176
03-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Volek reminds me of Frank Reich a great Back-up, Henson reminds me of Ryan Leif I think that's how you spell it

NC-BILLS44
03-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Philip Rivers!!!!

ShadowHawk7
03-08-2004, 11:04 AM
How bout Smoker, I think he could be a 4th round steal, that could eventually start.

Bmax
03-08-2004, 12:35 PM
dog, your right if losman is there in round two i would go for him... I hope green bay picks up....volek that would open the door for either henson or losman in rd 2....

Bmax

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
I hope green bay picks up....volek that would open the door for either henson or losman in rd 2....

Good point. I would love Losman in round two. I just don't see Volek going to Green Bay. What if Favre plays two more years? Volek will get his chance in his 30's. He is looking to start now, and he can do that in Buffalo.

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 12:51 PM
No matter who we oick up for a QB, that guy isn't going to be the starter and make Bledsoe immediately expendable. The best thing about Volek over the rookies entering the draft is that he has some game experience; with considerable experience from taking snaps in practice while McNair was resting injuries. All things considered, I'd go with Volek. We simply don't have the urgency at QB as we did when Todd Collins was our starting QB.

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
No matter who we oick up for a QB, that guy isn't going to be the starter and make Bledsoe immediately expendable. The best thing about Volek over the rookies entering the draft is that he has some game experience; with considerable experience from taking snaps in practice while McNair was resting injuries. All things considered, I'd go with Volek. We simply don't have the urgency at QB as we did when Todd Collins was our starting QB.

If they picked up Volek, they may keep Bledsoe, you are right. But Helmut Guy, you had season ticks, right? You must have seen/heard all of the booing going Bledsoe's way. If Volek is the #2, and Bledsoe has a bad first game of the season at the Ralph, things could get REALLY ugly, fast. His extreme struggles would span three seasons.

The_Philster
03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
If I had to choose, I'd take Volek....but not for much more than the minimum plus incentives.