PDA

View Full Version : It's not the end of the world if we don't get Vincent.

Earthquake Enyart
03-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Chances are the best CB in the draft will still be available at #13.

Dunta Robinson, Will Poole, and DeAngelo Hall are all worthy. Hall is the best punt returner in this year's draft as well.

ScottLawrence
03-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Yea, I wouldn't mind drafting a CB if we dont sign one in FA.

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 09:31 AM
I'm not going to jump off a ledge either- June 1 will also shake loose a variety of players as well

justasportsfan
03-08-2004, 09:32 AM
but will any of them make an instant impact like Clements?

ScottLawrence
03-08-2004, 09:36 AM
I would say Cornerback is the position coming out of college that makes the most impact in his rookie season....

Clements and Winfield both had pretty descent rookie seasons.

Halbert
03-08-2004, 12:20 PM
I believe TD & McNally are going to fix the OL this season meaning there is no reason the talent on this team can't make a real SB run. Unless they're planning on giving up on that for this year, they won't want a rookie starting at CB, no matter where they draft him. TD must have something up his sleeve, whether it's a FA down the road or simply staying with what they have at that spot and adding another FA OL or WR to strengthen the offense to balance the slightly weaker defense. One way or another they are going to use the cap room to make the starting roster stronger so stay tuned.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Ahmad "Batman" Carroll in the draft baby!:up:

Tatonka
03-08-2004, 12:27 PM
hall is overrated.. i watched him for years at virginia tech.. he got beat all the time.. he is just really fast, and good at kick returns.. he is really good at that though.

Michael82
03-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Ahmad "Batman" Carroll in the draft baby!:up:

Here ya go.... :snicker:

http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/NFL/166721_dewayne_washington_brwns.JPG

Earthquake Enyart
03-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
I believe TD & McNally are going to fix the OL this season meaning there is no reason the talent on this team can't make a real SB run. Unless they're planning on giving up on that for this year, they won't want a rookie starting at CB, no matter where they draft him. TD must have something up his sleeve, whether it's a FA down the road or simply staying with what they have at that spot and adding another FA OL or WR to strengthen the offense to balance the slightly weaker defense. One way or another they are going to use the cap room to make the starting roster stronger so stay tuned.

The Panthers went pretty far with a rookie CB.

I'd rather have the best CB in the draft than an old "average" overpriced FA.

ryjam282
03-08-2004, 12:48 PM
We already have 2 corners that haven't had a chance to shine. Give them a chance. How did we know that Clements would be any good unless he had a chance? How do we know that the two we have couldn't do at least a decent job and learn from the experience?

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
We already have 2 corners that haven't had a chance to shine. Give them a chance. How did we know that Clements would be any good unless he had a chance? How do we know that the two we have couldn't do at least a decent job and learn from the experience?

True but Donohoe has always stated you can't have enough corners.

ryjam282
03-08-2004, 01:21 PM
I agree, we can't have enough. But using a first round pick on a corner when we have 2 guys already here that may be able to do the job is a waste in my opinion. McGee and Thomas have done a decent enough job as the Nickel corner to at least get a shot at moving to the next level and being the #2. Don't you think?

Earthquake Enyart
03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I agree, we can't have enough. But using a first round pick on a corner when we have 2 guys already here that may be able to do the job is a waste in my opinion. McGee and Thomas have done a decent enough job as the Nickel corner to at least get a shot at moving to the next level and being the #2. Don't you think?

You're taking a pretty big chance. I'd take a chance with McGee, Thomas and a #1 draft pick CB.

Nighthawk
03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah, great...let's take the 13th pick and take another CB and not address WR or DE...that makes sense...NOT! TD needs to fix some of these holes via FA and leave only 1 position that we need an immediate impact player at via the draft. This team is not good enough to have all these rookies starting on it! Sorry, folks.

ShadowHawk7
03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
DE or even WR, isn't NEARLY as big of a hole as CB, and C.

elltrain22
03-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I was pretty mad when I first saw that he wasn't going to go to Buffalo, but I think that is partly b/c right after his visit here, alot of people made too much speculation that him and Buffalo is a done deal ( alla Damien Woody ). Now that I have had time to reflect on it, it is not the end of the world, and our defense will still be pretty damn good next year.

I can't remember who said it ( either spaz or tatonka ) but all the great teams are never great when they make 100 FA moves in the offseason. The best teams are the ones that sign modestly and precisely, which is exactly what we are doing.

TigerJ
03-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Judging but what TD has said, I don't really think he's going to be targeting a CB in round one. What he said was that he likes the Bills' young CBs and feels that it would be preferable to get a veteran to help continue to nurture them. The Bills may not get Vincent. If not him there may be other possibilities later. I don't know about David Macklin. He hasn't been in the league that long. I would guess he's something of a downgrade from Winfield, but maybe he's enough. As others have said, there will be June cuts too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo drafts a day two CB, but I would be a bit surprised if one were taken in round one.

Halbert
03-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The Panthers went pretty far with a rookie CB.

I'd rather have the best CB in the draft than an old "average" overpriced FA.
You have a point, but that certainly is by far the exception.

The Panthers also have one of if not the best front four in the league, taking a lot of pressure off the CB's.

I suppose a corner drafted 13th would have a decent shot of holding his own, but what happens if he doesn't? I don't like the idea of having only McGee or Thomas to fall back on. A weak corner can disrupt an entire defense - all it takes is one blown coverage to lose a game (see J.D. Toast Williams).

I'm always saying to trust in TD's judgment so I guess I'll have to do the same.

justasportsfan
03-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
I believe TD & McNally are going to fix the OL this season meaning there is no reason the talent on this team can't make a real SB run. As far as I'm concerned , MM is still in the same boat as when GW was hired. Nothing is known about him him as far as a HC. I'll give him the advantege over GW because of the asst. coaches he's hired. Other than that, it's a wait and see thing.

Ebenezer
03-10-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm sick of spending high draft choices on corners. Yes, the Bills could take a CB at 13 but what about LG, QB, WR, DE and TE. This team still has a lot of holes to fill.

don137
03-10-2004, 11:38 AM
TD likes the best available athlete and I do not feel the best available athlete is a DB considering the players available....That is why I do not feel he will go DB in rd 1

Halbert
03-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
As far as I'm concerned , MM is still in the same boat as when GW was hired. Nothing is known about him him as far as a HC. I'll give him the advantege over GW because of the asst. coaches he's hired. Other than that, it's a wait and see thing.
Oh yeah, I completely agree. I've said previously that I'm worried we might have to suffer rookie HC mistakes for a year or two, which is why I was hoping to retain LeBeau as a buffer. Maybe Wyche can be that guy, I don't know.

But in this case I was referring to the talent on the field, and in that regard the Bills are arguably as strong as anybody - assuming the OL gets fixed, which I have great confidence it will.