PDA

View Full Version : Cornerback David Macklin and FB Terrelle Smith in Buffalo

Michael82
03-08-2004, 01:06 PM
I just heard the WNSA Sports Ticker and they said that two players are visiting Buffalo today....

CB David Macklin 25 (Indianapolis Colts)
FB Terrelle Smith 25 (New Orleans Saints)

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 01:07 PM
someone's gotta replace Sidney I guess...

Patrick76777
03-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Macklin is the best!

Michael82
03-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Here's what ESPN said about Macklin....

Macklin seemed to come into his own late last year, and quietly is growing into a solid playmaker. He is more quick than fast. Sharp in and out of his cuts, smooth in his pedal, and turns easily. Has nice short-area burst and ball skills. Gets great jumps and always seems to be around the ball. Doesn't waste much motion, plays smart, and rarely gambles or makes big mistakes. Wraps up in the open field. A great fit as a squat corner who handles everything in front of him. Effective on short and intermediate routes. Lacks size and elite deep speed, but mostly makes up for it with his quickness and instincts. Not big or physical, but is aggressive against the run. Needs to be kept out of turn-and-run situations and straight man-to-man coverage as much as possible. Lack of size hurts him in the red zone and in press coverage. Willing, but just isn't big enough. An ascending starter in the cover 2, Macklin should only get better as long as he stays in the scheme.

ScottLawrence
03-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Macklins not bad..... I wouldn't mind seeing him and McGee battle it out at the number 2 corner spot.

Michael82
03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Here's what they said about Terrelle Smith....

Smith explodes into his blocks, knocks defenders back at the point of attack and rarely loses a battle once he has locked onto a defender. He plays with a mean streak, has good size and works hard to sustain his blocks. Has good lower-body strength. Keeps his legs driving after initial contact and is capable of driving most defenders out of the hole. Runs with good power. Can be effective in short-yardage situations, but primarily is a lead blocker. Lacks breakaway speed, elusiveness and initial quickness. An adequate receiver, but he lacks the change-of-direction skills to run crisp routes and can't adjust to balls in the air. Lacks ideal lateral mobility, has problems adjusting to the moving target and needs to take excellent angles to his blocks downfield. Tough. Will play through pain, but he has had some injury issues. Smith isn't a threat with the ball, and he has some problems reaching linebackers at the second level, but he is a physical, quality lead blocker.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Terrelle Smith is in town too FB for the Saints.:up::beer:

Michael82
03-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Terrelle Smith is in town too FB for the Saints.:up::beer:

Yeah, he's a damn good blocking FB. I think this proves that they are done with Gash and are definitely going to focus the offense on smash mouth, run the ball down your throat. :D

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

Yeah, he's a damn good blocking FB. I think this proves that they are done with Gash and are definitely going to focus the offense on smash mouth, run the ball down your throat. :D

Here we go goalline formation:

Bruener, Campbell, Jason Peters (draft pick)

Shelton and Smith! Yeah baby here comes the pain train woo-woo!:biggrin:

justasportsfan
03-08-2004, 01:20 PM

I think this proves that they are done with Gash and are definitely going to focus the offense on smash mouth, run the ball down your throat. :D I'll believe it when I see it.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
I'll believe it when I see it.

Gilbride is gone you will see it!:up::beer:

Jeff1220
03-08-2004, 01:28 PM

Sounds like Winfield.

Michael82
03-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Sounds like Winfield.

same height too! :lol:

However, he'd be MUCH cheaper! :D

Earthquake Enyart
03-08-2004, 01:34 PM

He is more quick than fast. Sharp in and out of his cuts, smooth in his pedal, and turns easily. Has nice short-area burst and ball skills.

I have nice short area bursts and ball skills too. :eek:

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Take Smith. Pass on Macklin (no pun intended - well, maybe a little).

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Take Smith. Pass on Macklin (no pun intended - well, maybe a little).

Wo else is out there as far as experienced corners he probably would come pretty cheap.

justasportsfan
03-08-2004, 01:52 PM
explodes into his blocks, knocks defenders back at the point of attack and rarely loses a battle once he has locked onto a defender. He plays with a mean streak, has good size and works hard to sustain his blocks. Has good lower-body strength. Keeps his legs driving after initial contact and is capable of driving most defenders out of the hole. Runs with good power. Can be effective in short-yardage situations, but primarily is a lead blocker. Lacks breakaway speed, elusiveness and initial quickness. An adequate receiver, but he lacks the change-of-direction skills to run crisp routes and can't adjust to balls in the air. Lacks ideal lateral mobility, has problems adjusting to the moving target and needs to take excellent angles to his blocks downfield. Tough. Will play through pain, but he has had some injury issues. Smith isn't a threat with the ball, and he has some problems reaching linebackers at the second level, but he is a physical, quality lead blocker.

Sounds like Gash to me. If we are going to run the ball, I think letting Gash go is a waste. He can still hit and can catch (short yds.) but was missused last year. With Henry and WM in there, I wish we kept Gash.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Sounds like Gash to me. If we are going to run the ball, I think letting Gash go is a waste. He can still hit and can catch (short yds.) but was missused last year. With Henry and WM in there, I wish we kept Gash.

Yes sounds like Gash but he is only 25 and we can have jim for a few years.:up:

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Wo else is out there as far as experienced corners he probably would come pretty cheap.

You're right - he might be medicre, but he should be fairly cheap. I'm not thrilled, but with a relatively tight cap, cheap and mediocre seems to be our theme in free agency this year.

Michael82
03-08-2004, 01:57 PM
You're right - he might be medicre, but he should be fairly cheap. I'm not thrilled, but with a relatively tight cap, cheap and mediocre seems to be our theme in free agency this year.

So, you wouldn't go get a David Macklin jersey? :snicker:

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 02:03 PM

Well when you have 30 million in cap space then you can spend or you can blow your future and be like the skins and still not win your choice obi wan:up:

Romes
03-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Macklin may be the best available option but only if he comes cheap. The guy has very little more success than Winfield coming up with picks and he isn't as good of a tackler.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 02:10 PM
So, you wouldn't go get a David Macklin jersey? :snicker:

Not until he gets a half dozen interceptions - then I'll love him.

Michael82
03-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Not until he gets a half dozen interceptions - then I'll love him.

Me too! :D

LtBillsFan66
03-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Meh.

Winfield:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133453

Macklin:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187591

LtBillsFan66
03-08-2004, 02:26 PM
At least he's a starting CB.

I DO NOT want to go into camp with McGee or Thomas as Winfield's replacement. If they beat out a proven vet, then the'll get the nod from me. I'm not excited just based on McGee's few good plays from last season.

LtBillsFan66
03-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone

Or was he?

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 02:30 PM
He has more picks!:clap::up:

Romes
03-08-2004, 02:32 PM
He has more picks!:clap::up:

In the last 2 years he had 2. That is only 1 more than Winfield...I'm not impressed...

Michael82
03-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone

I DO NOT want to go into camp with McGee or Thomas as Winfield's replacement. If they beat out a proven vet, then the'll get the nod from me. I'm not excited just based on McGee's few good plays from last season.

You have a point! Personally...I want to see Bobby Taylor brought in here now. He's better than the other fodder that is out there. :D

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Romes

In the last 2 years he had 2. That is only 1 more than Winfield...I'm not impressed...

More total though I'm impressed!:up::snicker:

Michael82
03-08-2004, 03:10 PM
This is basically what the Saints fans are saying about Smith....

This guy is an excellent Run Blocker. That is what this offense calls for. When he was in Arizona State, he ran the ball some and he caught a few passes. The question is not his ABILITY. He has the skills to run the ball and catch. He wants to block, nothing more nothing less.

I'd like to see us get a pass-catching fullback who can block. Terrelle's a very good lead blocker, but that's about all he can do and that's a problem.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 03:14 PM
This is basically what the Saints fans are saying about Smith....

Run blocking that's all we need baby! Choo-choo!:up:

Bert102176
03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
haven't we had enough with these small CB's

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
haven't we had enough with these small CB's

How big do you want them? It's not like we can stick them in some machine and they grow another 2-3 inches...lol:up:

Bert102176
03-08-2004, 03:34 PM
we need someone that can int the damn ball and this guy is another AW

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 03:48 PM
we need someone that can int the damn ball and this guy is another AW

So we want a tall guy who can make picks? I'll call around and see if they have any available.:snicker: They guy has more int's then Winfield though which is good and besides if we sign him he would battle McGee and Thomas and if he wins then he earned it no biggie.

Bert102176
03-08-2004, 03:55 PM
well if we sign him it better be for less then we offered Vincent

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 03:56 PM
well if we sign him it better be for less then we offered Vincent

That would be a no brainer!:beer:

Bert102176
03-08-2004, 04:12 PM
I hope TD can offer a new contract to Vincent and we sign him, cause out of the FA CB's left Vincent IMO is the best available

madness
03-08-2004, 05:15 PM
I hope TD can offer a new contract to Vincent and we sign him, cause out of the FA CB's left Vincent IMO is the best available

No doubt.

madness
03-08-2004, 05:19 PM

How big do you want them? It's not like we can stick them in some machine and they grow another 2-3 inches...lol:up:

I have a friend down at Florida University that has made an elixir that will in fact...oh wait...that's Gatorade.

Dantheman1280
03-08-2004, 06:00 PM
respectable corners still on the market are far and few between but there is Vincent, Taylor, Beasley. I have a feeling we are not gonna get vincent does ne one think we will make a run at taylor.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by madness23

I have a friend down at Florida University that has made an elixir that will in fact...oh wait...that's Gatorade.

:up::beer:

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280
respectable corners still on the market are far and few between but there is Vincent, Taylor, Beasley. I have a feeling we are not gonna get vincent does ne one think we will make a run at taylor.

We should, but like most of our candidates so far, he is probably out of our price range.

shadowfax
03-08-2004, 07:28 PM

hey mikey can you give me a link to that info on macklin please? Thanks dude...

TigerJ
03-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Smith sounds like a poor man's Sam Gash. Macklin like Winfield after having lost a step. I think Winfield is better in man coverage. If Buffalo is going to keep trying to make this 46 defence idea work, they need CBs with the skill to play man coverage. I don't really see Macklin getting a lot of playing time in Buffalo.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Don't forget that not only is Winfield gone but Sidney so we will need 2.

The_Philster
03-09-2004, 04:47 AM
Don't forget that not only is Winfield gone but Sidney so we will need 2.

Sidney never saw any action at CB, I don't believe...not like he really counts in this.

The Spaz
03-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Sidney never saw any action at CB, I don't believe...not like he really counts in this.

He's still a corner that needs to be replaced. He may not have played much but was still on the roster and you always need CB's or some extra DB's.

The Spaz
03-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Update David Macklin signed with the Cardinals yesterday and Terrelle Smith just signed with the Cleveland Browns. Doesn't look too good for is in free agency so far but it's still early. I also have faith that TD and Co. have a plan.

The Spaz
03-11-2004, 06:35 AM

Michael82
03-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Update David Macklin signed with the Cardinals yesterday and Terrelle Smith just signed with the Cleveland Browns. Doesn't look too good for is in free agency so far but it's still early. I also have faith that TD and Co. have a plan.

SOB! I'm done with this sig! All the free agents that I am putting in there have gone on to other teams. It's a jinx. :(

Michael82
03-11-2004, 09:24 AM
:ontome: