PDA

View Full Version : TD's ultimate plan for CB

Fatwhite02
03-08-2004, 01:17 PM
I think TD offered Vincent "modest" money, because he has a plan. Its obvious that the Pats and Ty Law are having troubles coming to an agreement, and Law will probably end up being a cap casualty. With Milloy having ties to Law I believe that TD knows that Law would like to play in Buffalo alongside Milloy. He offered Vincent below average money because if Vincent signed, Great, but if he doesn't, I think TD will go out and get Law.

Just a thought.

Devin
03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
not a bad thought but even offering him modest money wont mean we can afford law.

Guess time will tell but im not holding my breath.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I really doubt that is TDs plan, no offense to your thought.

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Fatwhite02
I think TD offered Vincent "modest" money, because he has a plan. Its obvious that the Pats and Ty Law are having troubles coming to an agreement, and Law will probably end up being a cap casualty. With Milloy having ties to Law I believe that TD knows that Law would like to play in Buffalo alongside Milloy. He offered Vincent below average money because if Vincent signed, Great, but if he doesn't, I think TD will go out and get Law.

Just a thought.

GM's can't plan like that- relying on another team,player, and agents all making decisions that "might" go their way-

The ONLY way Law comes here is if the Pats do exactly what the y did last year- cut Law at the last minute, and he signs a 1 year deal here to stay active. No way the Bills even come remotely close to giving him what he wants- to be the highes tpaid corner at $8 mill a year for 5-6 years.

They could have had Winfierld cheaper.

I t makes no sense to offer player "X" a contract in hopes of acquiring Player "Y" from another team.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh, I thought it had something to do with Thomas Smith unretiring.

MTBillsFan
03-08-2004, 03:14 PM
We all can hope right? It would be really nice to Law in uniform for the Bills next season and for many more after that. Lets just all hope that the Patsies screw up the negotiations!
GO BILLS

Bert102176
03-08-2004, 03:23 PM
it won't happen, TD screwed up by not going after Springs or Plummer and being to cheap with Vincent. I'm getting sick of TD

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
it won't happen, TD screwed up by not going after Springs or Plummer and being to cheap with Vincent. I'm getting sick of TD

Yeah let's overpay and get back into cap hell like John Butler did to us and TD had to clean the mess up. Is that what you want to have happen again? No I didn't think so.:candle:

BillyT92679
03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Yeah let's overpay and get back into cap hell like John Butler did to us and TD had to clean the mess up. Is that what you want to have happen again? No I didn't think so.:candle:

But at least during Butler's reign, he was able to maintain success with a greying franchise. Cap hell or not, the team won.
Donahoe is turning the Bills into the Chicago Bears or New Orleans Saints; a never terrible, but never great franchise. I'd rather take the risk of going into cap jail for a chance to be 13-3. than consistently run a few million under the cap, but be militantly average. The Bills currently seemed locked into an 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 abyss. I know the coaching staff has changed, but it's not like Wade Phillips, Carl Mauck, and Joe Pendry were THAT much better than Gregg Williams, (Insert any GW era O-line coach here) or Kevin Gilbride. Donahoe is certainly competent, but we are well out of cap hell and most teams know how to massage the cap better today anyway. Let's take a chance and getting some top flight talent, rather than being content with our Milwaukee Brewers like status.

BigZ
03-08-2004, 06:29 PM
There's a plan but paying top dollar for a CB that might last one or two more years isn't it.

I would have liked to see Plummer here but relying on Thomas or McGee and drafting one in the second or third round won't be the end of the world.

Ickybaluky
03-08-2004, 06:29 PM
There are no negotiations. The Pats are going to carry Law at his current number.

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
But at least during Butler's reign, he was able to maintain success with a greying franchise. Cap hell or not, the team won.
Donahoe is turning the Bills into the Chicago Bears or New Orleans Saints; a never terrible, but never great franchise. I'd rather take the risk of going into cap jail for a chance to be 13-3. than consistently run a few million under the cap, but be militantly average. The Bills currently seemed locked into an 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 abyss. I know the coaching staff has changed, but it's not like Wade Phillips, Carl Mauck, and Joe Pendry were THAT much better than Gregg Williams, (Insert any GW era O-line coach here) or Kevin Gilbride. Donahoe is certainly competent, but we are well out of cap hell and most teams know how to massage the cap better today anyway. Let's take a chance and getting some top flight talent, rather than being content with our Milwaukee Brewers like status.

Seems to me that TD's fiscal wisdom served Pittsburgh well for quite a few years. We can see that Cowher's doing a bang-up job in his stead, can't we? Real yeoman's effort there!

Personally, the 3-13 cap correction years don't excite me very much.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

Seems to me that TD's fiscal wisdom served Pittsburgh well for quite a few years. We can see that Cowher's doing a bang-up job in his stead, can't we? Real yeoman's effort there!

Personally, the 3-13 cap correction years don't excite me very much.

Also don't forget that TD built a Superbowl squad for the Steelers and as a matter of fact it was with a power running game.:up::beer:

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Also don't forget that TD built a Superbowl squad for the Steelers and as a matter of fact it was with a power running game.:up::beer:

All those trips to Elkland have rubbed on you, haven't they?

mypoorfriendme
03-08-2004, 07:20 PM
TD is an amazing GM. hes done pretty well with the draft and even better in FA and managing our cap. he came into a terrible situation and now should be in a great position to win, and that was his job. i love tom donahoe

madness
03-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
TD is an amazing GM. hes done pretty well with the draft and even better in FA and managing our cap. he came into a terrible situation and now should be in a great position to win, and that was his job. i love tom donahoe

Certain people will just never be happy. IF and its a big IF..Law gets cut by the Patriots I don't think he'd want the same kind of money if it's about playing with Milloy. I really think he's up to something or he's just really greedy. He was the top paid corner for something like five years.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 07:35 PM

All those trips to Elkland have rubbed on you, haven't they?

What? I don't understand.:ontome:

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by madness23
Certain people will just never be happy. IF and its a big IF..Law gets cut by the Patriots I don't think he'd want the same kind of money if it's about playing with Milloy. I really think he's up to something or he's just really greedy. He was the top paid corner for something like five years.

It's possible that Law may become a cap casualty, not unlike Malloy. It's not so much that he is greedy, per se. It's more that NE has found a lot of success lately by stockpliling depth, rather than pandering to high-priced, marquee name talent. Once you've won a couple of championships, though, even the minimum wagers start to become "name" talent, just by association.

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 07:39 PM
What? I don't understand.:ontome:

Just a commentary that we've been tending to agree a lot lately.

Didn't you say, once, that you used to come to the Fast Pitch Tourney up here? I could be mistaken.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 07:45 PM

Just a commentary that we've been tending to agree a lot lately.

Didn't you say, once, that you used to come to the Fast Pitch Tourney up here? I could be mistaken.

Yeah I was only in PA for a year and never went to a fast pitch tourney but it sounds fun!:up::beer:

helmetguy
03-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah I was only in PA for a year and never went to a fast pitch tourney but it sounds fun!:up::beer:

It's always a good time at the Tourneys (there are two of them now). Twoo wee-ends; the "B" Tourney the week-end bfore Labor Day, then the Labor Day Annual. You oughta check it out. Fast Pitch is softball the way it SUPPOSED to be played!

(Off topic, I know!)

BillsFever
03-08-2004, 08:16 PM
If this was/is TD's plan then he needs to be shot. This plan sucks.

The_Philster
03-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BillyT92679

But did you notice how he bailed out on us just before the team was gonna be forced to make some major cuts to get under the cap? He had no intention of re-signing at all.

Halbert
03-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Oh ye of VERY little faith.

I guess TD would have to walk on water and heal lepers to get a vote of confidence. How many great moves will it take to let him work his magic without cries of "the sky is falling"?

There's no way he doesn't have a specific plan in mind. Be patient, oh Grasshopper or you'll feel pretty stupid in a month or so ...

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 10:09 PM
:bf1: