PDA

View Full Version : It doesnt add up.

lunatic_bills_fan
03-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Last year on defence, we had 1 glaring hole. Pass Rush. We all stated that our corners were good enough, that if we had a pass rush this would be a defence to remember. Well that was last year, now... we have the exact same d-line, and we have lost a pretty damn good corner. I cant see how we can stop teams from just airing it out on us.

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 07:08 PM
It's only week 1 of free agency......

Romes
03-08-2004, 07:09 PM
With a top 5 defense our d-line must have been doing something right.

As for Winfield, i don't think one player makes or breaks a defense.

madness
03-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Our offense was a bigger problem last year and if we sign Bober we've made tremendous strides to the O-line. Especially with just the hiring of McNally himself. If Bober signs, look foward to one of the best lines in the league next year. Especially the right side, which is TH's favorite side! Either FA or the draft we will get the WR we need to stretch the D.

Seems MM is backing up what he said about playing to the strengths of his players. Have faith Beaker!

lunatic_bills_fan
03-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
It's only week 1 of free agency......

I understand its only early Dozer, however with the exception of Ty Law (which is a far fetched idea) its not a matter of how early it is in FA'cy, its a matter of who the heck is left to help?

lunatic_bills_fan
03-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Romes

Dont trust those stats too much Romes. The only reason this defence didnt surrender a horrid amount of yards was due to our pathetic offence. Teams very seldom had to sustain long drives, due to incredible feild position all the time.

SeatownBillsFan21
03-08-2004, 08:09 PM
We will get Troy him and TM go way back he will help us as for the pass rush its in the air but we will adress that need as well one way or the other...I say top 5 defence

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
I understand its only early Dozer, however with the exception of Ty Law (which is a far fetched idea) its not a matter of how early it is in FA'cy, its a matter of who the heck is left to help?

Plenty of options left. Don't forget there will be a lot of big name players released after June 1

And god forbid we got o battle with the tream we have now as it's composed- we still should do pretty well.

thenry20
03-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Last year on defence, we had 1 glaring hole. Pass Rush. We all stated that our corners were good enough, that if we had a pass rush this would be a defence to remember. Well that was last year, now... we have the exact same d-line, and we have lost a pretty damn good corner. I cant see how we can stop teams from just airing it out on us.

I brought up our ineptitude on pass rush on another board last year sometime after game 5!

Man, did it ever get worse!

Halbert
03-09-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

And god forbid we got o battle with the tream we have now as it's composed- we still should do pretty well.
Yeah, really. The biggest addition will be the one that's already made - adding McNally. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say we went from the worst OL coach in the league to the best in one season. Whoever made the decision to add that OL coach (can't even remember his name, thank god) who had never coached the position in the pros before should be fired. Oh that's right, he was. And it's obvious why Kevin Gilbride has called his last game ever in the NFL.

My only concern is having a rookie head coach but I'm hoping the veteran leadership that is all over this team can fill that gap. There's plenty of talent to make a SB run as is and there should be even more when TD is done spending the rest of the cap money.

Halbert
03-09-2004, 02:40 AM
BTW - The Bills ended up NINTH in the league in sacks last season. I suspect a healthy number of those were due to having two shut-down corners but still that's something to build from. Despite expressing faith in Denny & Kelsay, I suspect TD will add another DE after the June cuts anyway.

Romes
03-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
BTW - The Bills ended up NINTH in the league in sacks last season. I suspect a healthy number of those were due to having two shut-down corners but still that's something to build from. Despite expressing faith in Denny & Kelsay, I suspect TD will add another DE after the June cuts anyway.

I think people have been spoiled by all those years with Smith and Hansen (even Wiley for the 1 year). 9th is pretty good. Granted there is always need for improvement but we were far from horrible.

SABURZFAN
03-09-2004, 06:13 AM
we still have needs on this team but i'm not in a hurry to get anybody signed.we are not the only team that some of these players are interviewing for.we have villarrial now.that only means that i don't have to look at pucillo.we signed tucker and sullivan.one of these guys is going to start and the other is going to be great depth.we have bober on our radar.if we sign this guy,i will have nothing to complain about.my biggest complaint was the OL and it's being addressed.i hope we draft a big,nasty OL too.grove and peterman are about as nasty as they get.we need somebody in "the trenches" with an attitude.

where have you gone conrad dobler?:snicker:

Jeff1220
03-09-2004, 06:23 AM

Dont trust those stats too much Romes. The only reason this defence didnt surrender a horrid amount of yards was due to our pathetic offence. Teams very seldom had to sustain long drives, due to incredible feild position all the time.

The D was also top 5 or so in fewest points allowed - not just yardage. With the offense continuously going 3 and out, that's pretty impressive.

cordog
03-09-2004, 11:03 AM
There arent any DEs out there right now that would do much more than Denney or Kelsay, and you would end up paying a bunch for them. People around here are pretty rough on Denney, rightly so, but this guy is only going into his 3rd season. Im sure TD will be looking for a DE when June 1 cuts come.

justasportsfan
03-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
BTW - The Bills ended up NINTH in the league in sacks last season. I suspect a healthy number of those were due to having two shut-down corners but still that's something to build from. And the lack of int's is due to the lack of pass rush from the DE's. I hope we fix that.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by madness23
Our offense was a bigger problem last year and if we sign Bober we've made tremendous strides to the O-line. Especially with just the hiring of McNally himself. If Bober signs, look foward to one of the best lines in the league next year. Especially the right side, which is TH's favorite side! Either FA or the draft we will get the WR we need to stretch the D.

Seems MM is backing up what he said about playing to the strengths of his players. Have faith Beaker!

What am I missing with Bober. When did he become a savior to our OLine?

BAM
03-09-2004, 11:24 AM

That's BS we were in the top 5 at LEAST in PPG. try again :D

if i am correct we were #3

R. Rich
03-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Romes

Our defense performed okay, but had a problem with getting off the field on 3rd downs. A more consistent pass rush will eliminate that problem, or at least minimize it.

One player can't make or break a defense? Ever hear of a guy named Ray Lewis??? I'm not saying he's the only talented player the Ravens have, but without him, that defense is nowhere near as imposing.

Ingtar33
03-09-2004, 12:40 PM
wasn't Wiley cut by the bolts?

hmmm... he'd look pretty good oposite schobel

Hermanator21
03-09-2004, 01:17 PM
TD is doing the correct moves to improve this team. Our offense was terrible last year because of our Oline and coaching,and so far TD is making changes in those areas. We need an Oline that can give Bledsoe time cause if we don't we will have a repeate of last year (which I know nobody wants to ever see again).Our D will be OK, yea we do need a DE and a DB and right now we are working on the DB part. So far we have brought in Troy and Macklin which are both pretty good DB's. We will address the DE either in the draft or at a later time. I would mind Mr. Brackens for the short term and at a bargin price.BUT WE NEED A VERY GOOD OR GREAT OLINE TO SCORE POINTS THIS YEAR AS WE RUN TRAVIS 20-25 TIMES A GAME , WILLIS 5-10 A GAME AND A FEW PLAYACTIONS SO DREW CAN USE HIS POWERFUL ARM AND HIS SLOW BRAIN.