PDA

View Full Version : Travis Henry's Trade Value

Alluro
03-08-2004, 09:12 PM
At this point, as Bills fans, we have no idea where Willis McGahee is in his recovery. He may be well on his way to complete recovery or look like a wasted pick; only the bills brass knows for sure. Lets assume for the sake of this argument that Donahoe and Co believe RIGHT NOW that Willis is healthy and capable of starting beginning week one next year.

If that is the unofficial mindset of the bills brass, then count me as one of the few people in the minority who thinks if it is possible to move up and get Eli, Big Ben, or Sean Taylor that even the "great" Travis Henry is not above being sacrificed. It seems like a great majority of the people on this board will not part with Travis for any "unproven rookie." I think this is a mistake. No one doubts Travis has value, especially at his salary, but lets not confuse a solid starter with a chance at a potential superstar. True, you could end up with Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning, but just to have a shot at a player like Manning requires a level of sacrifice. You have to have confidence in the Bills scouts ability to differentiate between the two, and hopefully get the franchise SUPERSTAR to build around for the next 10-12 years.

IF Henry was a top 5 back it would be one thing, but his 4.1 yds per carry does not even land him in the top 20 among running backs. A LOT of running backs in the NFL could get his yardage total if they carried the ball the amount of times he does. And he will never be confused with a barry sanders or clinton portis, travis henry's version of a breakaway run is a 11yd pickup for a first down. He doesn't have the instincts of an emmitt smith or terrell davis. He is no where near the receiving threat marshall faulk or Priest Holmes are, and he stinks at blitz pickups. Plus, he has a propensity to fumble the ball which is never a good thing for any player but especially a rb..He just is what he is, a solid NFL starting running back. I often compare him to former players like a barry foster or rodney hampton - good players, but not "untouchable" as some of you are making him out to be.

Manning on the other hand i've seen compared to his brother. Roethlisberger i've seen compared favorably to John Elway, and some scouts are calling Taylor the most talented safety EVER ! Even if these players are only half as good as that it will be worth trading hampton err henry for them...And instead of rambling on and on.let me pose this question to you. IF the chargers offered the number 1 pick for henry would you take it? i think most of us would answer yes...but at what point do you not trade henry for a pick? the 4th pick? the 7th pick? when? In my opinion, I would deal Henry for ANY pick higher than the bills pick. Hell, i think kevin jones is going to be FAR better than Henry, and he won't be picked until after the bills make their selection...If Henry and McGahee split time next year Henry's trade value will plummet. NOW is the time to deal O'Henry, and wish him the best elsewhere.

The Spaz
03-08-2004, 09:13 PM
He's not getting traded period at least this year.

The_Philster
03-08-2004, 09:17 PM
I think you underestimate Travis. I think his average would have been higher had we been more committed to the run and had more consistent blocking throughout the season.

BillsFever
03-08-2004, 09:35 PM
If somebody offered a good trade I'd deal him. He's good but not great. There are plenty of backs to be had that could do the same thing.

He's a tough runner, but not enough speed to take it to the outside effectively, not enoug speed or vision to break a long run, a below average blocker, and an average at best receiver out of the backfield.

I'm happy with him but there are a lot more RB's I'd take ahead of him in the NFL right now.

In no particular order....

Portis
Alexander
Thomlinson
Faulk
Williams
McAllister
Holmes
Lewis
Green
Davis
Taylor(Now that he has seemed to break the injury bug)

Henry is a 1 shot deal. He doesn't pose the threat the other backs do. You can't underestimate the importance of having a back that's a threat to take it to the house, or come out of the backfield and burn your secondary. Henry poses neither of them threats.

Other backs on the rise is Dominick Davis, Marcel Shipp, and of course others will come out in the draft.

Henry is anywhere between the 11th and 15th best RB in the league.

IHateTheDullphins
03-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Are you kidding? You do KNOW that he played on a broken leg almost all of last season right?, and we can easily move up without trading T-Hen.

Originally posted by Alluro
At this point, as Bills fans, we have no idea where Willis McGahee is in his recovery. He may be well on his way to complete recovery or look like a wasted pick; only the bills brass knows for sure. Lets assume for the sake of this argument that Donahoe and Co believe RIGHT NOW that Willis is healthy and capable of starting beginning week one next year.

If that is the unofficial mindset of the bills brass, then count me as one of the few people in the minority who thinks if it is possible to move up and get Eli, Big Ben, or Sean Taylor that even the "great" Travis Henry is not above being sacrificed. It seems like a great majority of the people on this board will not part with Travis for any "unproven rookie." I think this is a mistake. No one doubts Travis has value, especially at his salary, but lets not confuse a solid starter with a chance at a potential superstar. True, you could end up with Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning, but just to have a shot at a player like Manning requires a level of sacrifice. You have to have confidence in the Bills scouts ability to differentiate between the two, and hopefully get the franchise SUPERSTAR to build around for the next 10-12 years.

IF Henry was a top 5 back it would be one thing, but his 4.1 yds per carry does not even land him in the top 20 among running backs. A LOT of running backs in the NFL could get his yardage total if they carried the ball the amount of times he does. And he will never be confused with a barry sanders or clinton portis, travis henry's version of a breakaway run is a 11yd pickup for a first down. He doesn't have the instincts of an emmitt smith or terrell davis. He is no where near the receiving threat marshall faulk or Priest Holmes are, and he stinks at blitz pickups. Plus, he has a propensity to fumble the ball which is never a good thing for any player but especially a rb..He just is what he is, a solid NFL starting running back. I often compare him to former players like a barry foster or rodney hampton - good players, but not "untouchable" as some of you are making him out to be.

Manning on the other hand i've seen compared to his brother. Roethlisberger i've seen compared favorably to John Elway, and some scouts are calling Taylor the most talented safety EVER ! Even if these players are only half as good as that it will be worth trading hampton err henry for them...And instead of rambling on and on.let me pose this question to you. IF the chargers offered the number 1 pick for henry would you take it? i think most of us would answer yes...but at what point do you not trade henry for a pick? the 4th pick? the 7th pick? when? In my opinion, I would deal Henry for ANY pick higher than the bills pick. Hell, i think kevin jones is going to be FAR better than Henry, and he won't be picked until after the bills make their selection...If Henry and McGahee split time next year Henry's trade value will plummet. NOW is the time to deal O'Henry, and wish him the best elsewhere.

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 09:38 PM
OK, assuming they believe right now that McGahee is healthy and ready to go game in and game out I would definitely trade him for picks 1, 2, or 3. Manning, Roethlisberger, and Taylor are the only players worth the trade. I think Manning and Big Ben are better prospects than Carson Palmer, Joey Harrington or David Carr were. If Henry was traded for the #3, Taylor would be my emergency pick if Manning and Roethlisberger some how went 1,2.

Even if the brass believes McGahee is healthy and ready to go, that doesn't mean he won't have a hard time getting used to the NFL, and it certainly doesn't mean his knee will hold up to NFL hits. Hey, the Bills FO <I>thought</I> that Bledsoe was the answer. They <I>Thought</I> that Gregg Williams could be a good coach, etc.

I do have all the faith in Mcahee's god - given talents. He was incredible at Miami. He impressed me more than Portis. I just think his knee is a huge question mark. Even if he looks great his first couple games, I will worry about him getting re-injured, for a couple seasons at least.

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Well- Clements, Spikes, Josh Reed, Mike Williams, Jonas Jennings- - their trade values are at their peaks too- let's unload them ! :up:

The Natrix
03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Well- Clements, Spikes, Josh Reed, Mike Williams, Jonas Jennings- - their trade values are at their peaks too- let's unload them ! :up:

So Willis can play CB, LB, WR, and T?

Mr. Cynical
03-08-2004, 10:24 PM
I agree he is a good, solid back with alot of heart. But he is not nor will he ever be a franchise back and/or a serious threat that people need to gameplan around. It's just a simple fact, nothing more, nothing less. On that basis I just can't see anyone trading for more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder. No way can they get a 1st rounder. If they could, I'd say to deal him in a hearbeat.

But as it stands now though there's little to no chance they will deal him until next season when they've had a chance to make sure McGahee is the real deal. On that basis I do understand their view and really can't argue with it since Henry is a known quantity and you can win with him if everything else is in place. They just have to deal with the fact they can't put the load on his shoulders like a Faulk, Holmes, Lewis, etc., since he is not in that caliber. But hey if the Pats can make that work who knows....

Devin
03-08-2004, 10:27 PM
call me crazy but is 1400 a year that bad?

kgun12
03-08-2004, 10:58 PM
This is crap! McGaHee has had 3 MAJOR knee injuries, he will never be the same. I don't care that he would have been the top pick last year. He wasn't for the above mentioned reasons. T. Herny made yards behind the same line we are trying to upgrade. You don't upgrade a good line. Henry made yards when there was NOTHING there, sometime running through people. McGaHee isn't that type of back, espeacilly NOW! Let's stay focused on making this a better team. When picking a QB in the first round there is less than a 50-50 chance he will pan out. I think it is like a 30% chance. So any QB would be a HUGE gamble to trade Herny for.

Bert102176
03-09-2004, 12:08 AM
why the hell would you wanna trade Henry, McGahee is unproven only a damn fool would wanna trade Henry

Marvelous
03-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Alluro, I question either your football awareness or your loyalty to the team.
If you watched Bills games last year you will notice that stats dont tell the Travis Henry story. Time after time he gets hit in the backfield and muscles free to get atleast a 2 yard gain on abusted plays. Henry is that player we build around............

Bert102176
03-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Henry is our Offense why do you think we are going with a more run orianted offense are you really a Bills fan with all this BS talk about trading Henry

Throne Logic
03-09-2004, 12:55 AM
T. Henry has never been part of an NFL offense that handed the ball off with any kind of consistency. That said, he's still managed to collect 1400 yards over each of the last two seasons.

More often than not, Travis was hit in the backfield or took the hand-off to find his line collapsing in on him.

When the line managed to open even a small hole, Travis generally hit that hole and ground out yards after the first hit.

What I like the most about TH? He always winds up on the downfield side of the tackling pile. This is a characterstic of good backs.

Thurman Thomas never had that breakaway speed either, guys. He was a squirmer, like TH. But TT had to turn around and back his way into extra yards, whereas TH can gain them while still looking down field.

The fumbling problem was improved upon this past season. I think it will be even better in 2004.

For the record, San Diego has LT. So that trade option is a moot point.

Draft picks are NEVER of the same value as a proven player.

shelby
03-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
T. Henry has never been part of an NFL offense that handed the ball off with any kind of consistency. That said, he's still managed to collect 1400 yards over each of the last two seasons.

More often than not, Travis was hit in the backfield or took the hand-off to find his line collapsing in on him.

When the line managed to open even a small hole, Travis generally hit that hole and ground out yards after the first hit.

What I like the most about TH? He always winds up on the downfield side of the tackling pile. This is a characterstic of good backs.

Thurman Thomas never had that breakaway speed either, guys. He was a squirmer, like TH. But TT had to turn around and back his way into extra yards, whereas TH can gain them while still looking down field.

The fumbling problem was improved upon this past season. I think it will be even better in 2004.

For the record, San Diego has LT. So that trade option is a moot point.

Draft picks are NEVER of the same value as a proven player.

i agree 100%. TH has shown me that he is a warrior. He is underrated IMO. He gets the job done.

The_Philster
03-09-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
So Willis can play CB, LB, WR, and T?

No...but he hasn't shown he can play RB in the NFL either so.......

Jan Reimers
03-09-2004, 05:37 AM
We actually are going to play a power running game this year, as shown by the acquisition of Villarial, the signing of Shelton, and the interest in Bober, Bruener, Terrelle Smith et. al.

Two great backs - assuming Willis is all the way back - will allow us to run the ball 35-40 times a game without killing either of them.

And, quite frankly, you can't even think of trading a warrior like Travis until Willis proves he can be a big time player in this league.

indianabillsfan
03-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Travis was unquestionably the MVP of our offense. One of the earlier posts said that he is not a franchise back and is not a big enough threat to build a gameplan around. As I recall, he was the spark plug for the offense for several victories, especially later in the year, with his tough running and determination. He did have some down weeks, but he was often left out of the game plan for various reasons and missed most of the Miami game with a rib injury. I know a lot of backs have better speed and catching ability than Travis, but you cannot underestimate his ability to break tackles, which in my opinion is one of the most critical skills a RB can have. He is top notch in the NFL in that category. It seems that some Bills fans are almost wishing he was not on the team. If he wasn't maybe all of those people would get their wish and we would have had the #1 draft pick ! I also don't think averaging 1400 yards and well over 4 yards a carry with double digit TD's over the last 2 years makes him a mediocre back. If Willis gets hurt again or is not up to par, we will see just how valuable Travis is, especially if we put the pressure to win the game on our anemic passing attack. I think a healthy Willis makes Travis even better because he will have more chances to rest and catch his breath and have even more strength to break even more tackles. If they are both used at the same time, defenses cannot focus on one player they have to shut down, like they do with Eric Moulds in the passing game. I think keeping both of them is a win/win situation for both the players and the team.

indianabillsfan
03-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Prediction: a healthy Travis Henry makes the Pro Bowl (again!!!!), gains 1800 yards, 15 TD's, and earns consideration for the NFL MVP award in 2004 !!

Pride
03-09-2004, 06:58 AM
http://www.fites.net/pride/fun/mad_kitty.jpg

I can't believe I am even replying to this thread. TH was the biggest contributor to the offense last year. He is gritty, tough, and is very reliable when given the ball 30 times a game.

You dont just trade those kind of guys.

How quickly we forget the years between Thurman and today. 8 years of a lack of a running game is enough for me. Give me 2 capable backs over just 1 "potentially" great back.

Pride
03-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by indianabillsfan
Prediction: a healthy Travis Henry makes the Pro Bowl (again!!!!), gains 1800 yards, 15 TD's, and earns consideration for the NFL MVP award in 2004 !!

:up:

SABURZFAN
03-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
We actually are going to play a power running game this year, as shown by the acquisition of Villarial, the signing of Shelton, and the interest in Bober, Bruener, Terrelle Smith et. al.

Two great backs - assuming Willis is all the way back - will allow us to run the ball 35-40 times a game without killing either of them.

And, quite frankly, you can't even think of trading a warrior like Travis until Willis proves he can be a big time player in this league.

i agree.it wouldn't surprise me if mcgahee has a high total of receptions either.throw a pass out to "the flats" and watch this kid electrify RWS.

Novacane
03-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
why the hell would you wanna trade Henry, McGahee is unproven only a damn fool would wanna trade Henry

Originally posted by Sippio
Alluro, I question either your football awareness or your loyalty to the team.
If you watched Bills games last year you will notice that stats dont tell the Travis Henry story. Time after time he gets hit in the backfield and muscles free to get atleast a 2 yard gain on abusted plays. Henry is that player we build around............

Can't someone voice an opinion without being called a damn fool or being told they have no football awareness?

elltrain22
03-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Why would you want to trade our very best player, who would play no matter what. Travis played w/ heart, and passion last year, on a team that had lost its competitive edge. Travis Henry, hopefully will be a very long standing member of this team

Forward_Lateral
03-09-2004, 07:53 AM
How on earth could the Bills justify trading Henry? A guy who played hurt, even when the season didn't matter. Dude played with a broken leg and broken ribs. Most of us wouldn't be able to get out of bed. Now you want to trade him for some punk ass RB that hasn't touched a football in over a year? How could any player want to stay in Buffalo if the Bills showed their appreciation of Henry by trading him, not to mention that he's going to honour his contract unlike other underpaid RB's like Clinton Portis.

juice
03-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Can't someone voice an opinion without being called a damn fool or being told they have no football awareness?

Can they?
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
How on earth could the Bills justify trading Henry? A guy who played hurt, even when the season didn't matter. Dude played with a broken leg and broken ribs. Most of us wouldn't be able to get out of bed. Now you want to trade him for some punk ass RB that hasn't touched a football in over a year? How could any player want to stay in Buffalo if the Bills showed their appreciation of Henry by trading him, not to mention that he's going to honour his contract unlike other underpaid RB's like Clinton Portis.

"Business, It's always Business" KINGPIN

BAM
03-09-2004, 08:00 AM
you'd have to be a damn fool to trade Henry right now :up:

Alluro
03-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by BAM
you'd have to be a damn fool to trade Henry right now :up:

so what you're saying is, if the bills were offered a top 3 pick for henry you wouldn't take it? That is pretty much what i'm asking..what would it take to deal henry knowing that we have willis mcgahee in the stable? I'm going to firmly stand by my position that while Henry is a solid professional for this team, ANYTIME you have the chance to get that franchise player you take it.

Alluro
03-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by kal123
I agree he is a good, solid back with alot of heart. But he is not nor will he ever be a franchise back and/or a serious threat that people need to gameplan around. It's just a simple fact, nothing more, nothing less. On that basis I just can't see anyone trading for more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder. No way can they get a 1st rounder. If they could, I'd say to deal him in a hearbeat.

I honestly feel that if travis henry was on another team, lets say the cowboys for arguments sake, most posters would scoff at the notion of giving up the 13th pick in the draft for him. Yet when we turn the tables on that argument, and even speculate on possibly getting a higher pick, the familiarity of him being a buffalo bill clouds people's judgement.

helmetguy
03-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Why would we want to trade Henry when, after him, the is a big question mark at the position; especially to invest in another question mark? I, for one, would like to see what this offense is really capable of under new management. As we saw last season, there were too many times when TH was taken OFF the field in situations where he normally would flourish.

It is highly probable that, when TD took McGahee in the first round last year, he was considering the possibility of losing TH to free agency sometime up the line. Another 1400+ yard season and double digit touchdowns and TH might command some major bucks on the open market. Say whatever you want about TD, but from everything I've seen of him (including his years in Pittsburgh) he doesn't sacrifice continuity/improvement in the future for a one-time, immediate "quick fix." Trading TH now would be "quick fix" at its worst.

Alluro
03-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
. Say whatever you want about TD, but from everything I've seen of him (including his years in Pittsburgh) he doesn't sacrifice continuity/improvement in the future for a one-time, immediate &quot;quick fix.&quot; Trading TH now would be &quot;quick fix&quot; at its worst.

How would dealing henry to get a franchise QB be a "one-time, immediate, quick fix"? I suspect it would just the opposite as taking a Manning or Big Ben would be an investment in the future (and best case scenario, next year). No one is saying that Henry should be dealt for Rich Gannon - I'm just surprised at the number of people who won't even consider trading him to get one of the blue chippers from this draft.

helmetguy
03-09-2004, 08:27 AM
How would dealing henry to get a franchise QB be a "one-time, immediate, quick fix"? I suspect it would just the opposite as taking a Manning or Big Ben would be an investment in the future (and best case scenario, next year). No one is saying that Henry should be dealt for Rich Gannon - I'm just surprised at the number of people who won't even consider trading him to get one of the blue chippers from this draft.

You missed the point. Right now, McGahee is a question mark. Any player in the draft pool at the moment, is still a question mark.

Alluro
03-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy

You missed the point. Right now, McGahee is a question mark. Any player in the draft pool at the moment, is still a question mark.

Peyton Manning coming out was a question mark. Michael Vick was a question mark. I'm not saying trade henry as the first option, but if it came to having to trade henry for a shot at one of these guys, you wouldn't take it? Asking your wife/girlfriend out that first time is a question mark, and involves a certain level of risk. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and hope for the best. If the bills get a ryan leaf, they've only lost a top 15 running back. If the bills get a peyton manning, they've set themselves up as winning team for the next 12 years. everything being equal, you ALWAYS take a shot at greatness

Jan Reimers
03-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Thanks, FTG. I was basically called stupid the other day for offering an opinion on our FA progress to date, and I didn't much appreciate it. I think we need to be a little more tolerant of each others' opinions and ideas.

helmetguy
03-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Peyton Manning coming out was a question mark. Michael Vick was a question mark. I'm not saying trade henry as the first option, but if it came to having to trade henry for a shot at one of these guys, you wouldn't take it? Sometimes you just have to take a chance and hope for the best. If the bills get a ryan leaf, they've only lost a top 15 running back. If the bills get a peyton manning, they've set themselves up as winning team for the next 12 years. everything being equal, you ALWAYS take a shot at greatness

That would make sense if we were re-building from ground up and were in salary cap hell. We just did that three years ago. There are varying degrees of risk. For every Peyton Manning and Michael Vick (the jury is still out) there are a dozen Ryan Leaf's and Kordell Stewarts. Giving up a known, reliable commodity like TH in your offense for question marks is foolish risk. Then again, I don't play Madden, so what do I know?

Turf
03-09-2004, 09:01 AM

Travis is such a good back at such a bargain basement price, why would you trade him? You could'nt get a backup half as good as him for his price. Besides, the guy's a competitor. I say no way, it's nuts to trade him and the Bills and his teammates know that.

TedMock
03-09-2004, 09:06 AM
It does pose a very interesting scenario. Henry's my favorite player, he's gutty, tough and has a lot of heart. However, if I step back and not think with my heart, there may be a scenario in which it's worth it. I've heard people refer to McGahee as a scat back, a change of pace back, an outside runner, etc.. It's true that he's ridiculously fast (under a 4.3 forty AFTER the injury) and if he bounces outside he can change a game. If you watched him play at all you'd realize that he can pound the ball too. Miami didn't run sweep right, sweep left offenses. He is 230lbs. and benches 375 lbs. He's not a little weakling. Henry is stronger (he benches over 400) but he's not nearly as fast. Personally, I'd like to see it work out where they're both here but don't jump down this guy's throat for throwing the "trade" out there. It's not that unlikely. I wouldn't trade him and our pick for a top 5 but I'd consider him alone for a top 5. I don't think it'll happen and yes, it would be taking a big chance so it will make me nervous. I just don't think it's completely out of the question.

justasportsfan
03-09-2004, 09:09 AM
I'd only trade Henry for someone like Portis or some other franchise rb. He may not be the best but his value to this team is waaaay more important than like Drew. You do not trade your teams best player for anything less than another teams best player.

Mcgahee probably has the talent to be a franchise back but does he have the durability? Guess we'll find out soon.

SABURZFAN
03-09-2004, 09:10 AM
i wouldn't want to trade henry but if it were to happen,we better get something close to what the Saints got for r.williams from the FISH.

lordofgun
03-09-2004, 09:25 AM
so what you're saying is, if the bills were offered a top 3 pick for henry you wouldn't take it? That is pretty much what i'm asking..what would it take to deal henry knowing that we have willis mcgahee in the stable? I'm going to firmly stand by my position that while Henry is a solid professional for this team, ANYTIME you have the chance to get that franchise player you take it.

I'm just not as low on Henry as you are. I think he's a very good back, and with the power running style Mularkey is implementing, we need him.

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Thanks, FTG. I was basically called stupid the other day for offering an opinion on our FA progress to date, and I didn't much appreciate it. I think we need to be a little more tolerant of each others' opinions and ideas.

:up: Just because someone has an idea that's different from yours doesn't mean they're a ******. :cynic:

When everyone agrees, message boards get boring. Instead of calling someone a fool, debate them on the subject matter.

The Spaz
03-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

I'm just not as low on Henry as you are. I think he's a very good back, and with the power running style Mularkey is implementing, we need him.

:up: Just because someone has an idea that's different from yours doesn't mean they're a ******. :cynic:

When everyone agrees, message boards get boring. Instead of calling someone a fool, debate them on the subject matter.

LOG you need to post more about th eBills instead of living in the Twilight Zone!:up::beer:

Pride
03-09-2004, 09:31 AM
I honestly feel that if travis henry was on another team, lets say the cowboys for arguments sake, most posters would scoff at the notion of giving up the 13th pick in the draft for him. Yet when we turn the tables on that argument, and even speculate on possibly getting a higher pick, the familiarity of him being a buffalo bill clouds people's judgement.

Alot of that can be blamed on the fact that we... as bills fans, know how much gilbride screwed us up. Sure, he looks average to the rest of the league, but to us, we see great potential if put in the right system (one that runs the ball)

Mr. Miyagi
03-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :cynic:

:jk:

lordofgun
03-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :cynic:

:jk:

Whatever...******. :D

Dantheman1280
03-09-2004, 11:09 AM
T Hen played his heart out for a piss poor offense who didn't give him the ball in crunch time. If the Bills traded henry it would make me question why I love the Bills so Much. Because if a player who is under used still gives it his best effort on a broken leg than he deservers to stay!!!

Marvelous
03-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Travis Henry is not above being sacrificed. It seems like a great majority of the people on this board will not part with Travis for any &quot;unproven rookie.&quot; I think this is a mistake. No one doubts Travis has value, especially at his salary, but lets not confuse a solid starter with a chance at a potential superstar. True, you could end up with Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning, but just to have a shot at a player like Manning requires a level of sacrifice. You have to have confidence in the Bills scouts ability to differentiate between the two, and hopefully get the franchise SUPERSTAR to build around for the next 10-12 years.

IF Henry was a top 5 back it would be one thing, but his 4.1 yds per carry does not even land him in the top 20 among running backs. A LOT of running backs in the NFL could get his yardage total if they carried the ball the amount of times he does. And he will never be confused with a barry sanders or clinton portis, travis henry's version of a breakaway run is a 11yd pickup for a first down. He doesn't have the instincts of an emmitt smith or terrell davis. He is no where near the receiving threat marshall faulk or Priest Holmes are, and he stinks at blitz pickups. Plus, he has a propensity to fumble the ball which is never a good thing for any player but especially a rb..He just is what he is, a solid NFL starting running back. I often compare him to former players like a barry foster or rodney hampton - good players, but not &quot;untouchable&quot; as some of you are making him out to be.

Hell, i think kevin jones is going to be FAR better than Henry, and he won't be picked until after the bills make their selection...If Henry and McGahee split time next year Henry's trade value will plummet. NOW is the time to deal O'Henry, and wish him the best elsewhere.

This post may be you oppinion but I and most Bills fans will disagree with you...
The fact that you say Henry is just a top 20 RB is hilarious.

Then to top it off you think we should trade proven for unproven.
OK LMMFAO..

I do agree that rookies are a gamble. Thats a gamble every team takes in the draft. But it's another thing to trade your most productive player for a rookie. imo
Your just a Henry hater lol

Sippio
Henry defender

TedMock
03-09-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't think it's that far fetched. Henry is easily my favorite player but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. He's definitely a tough back. I put him in the top 15 range but not top 5. He's quite a load though.

BuffaloRanger
03-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Buffalo cannot develop rookie QBs into stars. Joe Ferguson is the only one in a 43 year history. (Jimbo developed in the USFL - came to Buffalo as a proven QB)

The fans would eat him alive. They would expect too much, too soon. Especially if the guy the Bills traded for him (TH) goes on to have some Pro-Bowl type seasons.

I understand a young QB might be drafted to develop in case DB sucks again. But when the time comes for the Bills QB of the future - FA all the way.

The_Philster
03-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
Buffalo cannot develop rookie QBs into stars.

Good point but I'd like to think there's a first time for everything. :up: