• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alluro
    You Don't Stand a Chance !
    • Jul 2002

Travis Henry's Trade Value

At this point, as Bills fans, we have no idea where Willis McGahee is in his recovery. He may be well on his way to complete recovery or look like a wasted pick; only the bills brass knows for sure. Lets assume for the sake of this argument that Donahoe and Co believe RIGHT NOW that Willis is healthy and capable of starting beginning week one next year.

If that is the unofficial mindset of the bills brass, then count me as one of the few people in the minority who thinks if it is possible to move up and get Eli, Big Ben, or Sean Taylor that even the "great" Travis Henry is not above being sacrificed. It seems like a great majority of the people on this board will not part with Travis for any "unproven rookie." I think this is a mistake. No one doubts Travis has value, especially at his salary, but lets not confuse a solid starter with a chance at a potential superstar. True, you could end up with Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning, but just to have a shot at a player like Manning requires a level of sacrifice. You have to have confidence in the Bills scouts ability to differentiate between the two, and hopefully get the franchise SUPERSTAR to build around for the next 10-12 years.

IF Henry was a top 5 back it would be one thing, but his 4.1 yds per carry does not even land him in the top 20 among running backs. A LOT of running backs in the NFL could get his yardage total if they carried the ball the amount of times he does. And he will never be confused with a barry sanders or clinton portis, travis henry's version of a breakaway run is a 11yd pickup for a first down. He doesn't have the instincts of an emmitt smith or terrell davis. He is no where near the receiving threat marshall faulk or Priest Holmes are, and he stinks at blitz pickups. Plus, he has a propensity to fumble the ball which is never a good thing for any player but especially a rb..He just is what he is, a solid NFL starting running back. I often compare him to former players like a barry foster or rodney hampton - good players, but not "untouchable" as some of you are making him out to be.

Manning on the other hand i've seen compared to his brother. Roethlisberger i've seen compared favorably to John Elway, and some scouts are calling Taylor the most talented safety EVER ! Even if these players are only half as good as that it will be worth trading hampton err henry for them...And instead of rambling on and on.let me pose this question to you. IF the chargers offered the number 1 pick for henry would you take it? i think most of us would answer yes...but at what point do you not trade henry for a pick? the 4th pick? the 7th pick? when? In my opinion, I would deal Henry for ANY pick higher than the bills pick. Hell, i think kevin jones is going to be FAR better than Henry, and he won't be picked until after the bills make their selection...If Henry and McGahee split time next year Henry's trade value will plummet. NOW is the time to deal O'Henry, and wish him the best elsewhere.
    Last edited by Alluro; 03-08-2004, 09:22 PM.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

He's not getting traded period at least this year.

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

I think you underestimate Travis. I think his average would have been higher had we been more committed to the run and had more consistent blocking throughout the season.
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BillsFever
        Mr. Predictament
        • Feb 2003

If somebody offered a good trade I'd deal him. He's good but not great. There are plenty of backs to be had that could do the same thing.

He's a tough runner, but not enough speed to take it to the outside effectively, not enoug speed or vision to break a long run, a below average blocker, and an average at best receiver out of the backfield.

I'm happy with him but there are a lot more RB's I'd take ahead of him in the NFL right now.

In no particular order....

Portis
        Alexander
        Thomlinson
        Faulk
        Williams
        McAllister
        Holmes
        Lewis
        Green
        Davis
        Taylor(Now that he has seemed to break the injury bug)

Henry is a 1 shot deal. He doesn't pose the threat the other backs do. You can't underestimate the importance of having a back that's a threat to take it to the house, or come out of the backfield and burn your secondary. Henry poses neither of them threats.

Other backs on the rise is Dominick Davis, Marcel Shipp, and of course others will come out in the draft.

Henry is anywhere between the 11th and 15th best RB in the league.

Comment

• IHateTheDullphins
          New and Improved!!
          • Aug 2003

Re: Travis Henry's Trade Value

Are you kidding? You do KNOW that he played on a broken leg almost all of last season right?, and we can easily move up without trading T-Hen.

Originally posted by Alluro
          At this point, as Bills fans, we have no idea where Willis McGahee is in his recovery. He may be well on his way to complete recovery or look like a wasted pick; only the bills brass knows for sure. Lets assume for the sake of this argument that Donahoe and Co believe RIGHT NOW that Willis is healthy and capable of starting beginning week one next year.

If that is the unofficial mindset of the bills brass, then count me as one of the few people in the minority who thinks if it is possible to move up and get Eli, Big Ben, or Sean Taylor that even the "great" Travis Henry is not above being sacrificed. It seems like a great majority of the people on this board will not part with Travis for any "unproven rookie." I think this is a mistake. No one doubts Travis has value, especially at his salary, but lets not confuse a solid starter with a chance at a potential superstar. True, you could end up with Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning, but just to have a shot at a player like Manning requires a level of sacrifice. You have to have confidence in the Bills scouts ability to differentiate between the two, and hopefully get the franchise SUPERSTAR to build around for the next 10-12 years.

IF Henry was a top 5 back it would be one thing, but his 4.1 yds per carry does not even land him in the top 20 among running backs. A LOT of running backs in the NFL could get his yardage total if they carried the ball the amount of times he does. And he will never be confused with a barry sanders or clinton portis, travis henry's version of a breakaway run is a 11yd pickup for a first down. He doesn't have the instincts of an emmitt smith or terrell davis. He is no where near the receiving threat marshall faulk or Priest Holmes are, and he stinks at blitz pickups. Plus, he has a propensity to fumble the ball which is never a good thing for any player but especially a rb..He just is what he is, a solid NFL starting running back. I often compare him to former players like a barry foster or rodney hampton - good players, but not "untouchable" as some of you are making him out to be.

Manning on the other hand i've seen compared to his brother. Roethlisberger i've seen compared favorably to John Elway, and some scouts are calling Taylor the most talented safety EVER ! Even if these players are only half as good as that it will be worth trading hampton err henry for them...And instead of rambling on and on.let me pose this question to you. IF the chargers offered the number 1 pick for henry would you take it? i think most of us would answer yes...but at what point do you not trade henry for a pick? the 4th pick? the 7th pick? when? In my opinion, I would deal Henry for ANY pick higher than the bills pick. Hell, i think kevin jones is going to be FAR better than Henry, and he won't be picked until after the bills make their selection...If Henry and McGahee split time next year Henry's trade value will plummet. NOW is the time to deal O'Henry, and wish him the best elsewhere.
          Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

• The Natrix
            • Jul 2002

OK, assuming they believe right now that McGahee is healthy and ready to go game in and game out I would definitely trade him for picks 1, 2, or 3. Manning, Roethlisberger, and Taylor are the only players worth the trade. I think Manning and Big Ben are better prospects than Carson Palmer, Joey Harrington or David Carr were. If Henry was traded for the #3, Taylor would be my emergency pick if Manning and Roethlisberger some how went 1,2.

Even if the brass believes McGahee is healthy and ready to go, that doesn't mean he won't have a hard time getting used to the NFL, and it certainly doesn't mean his knee will hold up to NFL hits. Hey, the Bills FO thought that Bledsoe was the answer. They Thought that Gregg Williams could be a good coach, etc.

I do have all the faith in Mcahee's god - given talents. He was incredible at Miami. He impressed me more than Portis. I just think his knee is a huge question mark. Even if he looks great his first couple games, I will worry about him getting re-injured, for a couple seasons at least.

Byrd.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Well- Clements, Spikes, Josh Reed, Mike Williams, Jonas Jennings- - their trade values are at their peaks too- let's unload them !

Comment

• The Natrix
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                Well- Clements, Spikes, Josh Reed, Mike Williams, Jonas Jennings- - their trade values are at their peaks too- let's unload them !
                So Willis can play CB, LB, WR, and T?

Byrd.

Comment

• kal123
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

I agree he is a good, solid back with alot of heart. But he is not nor will he ever be a franchise back and/or a serious threat that people need to gameplan around. It's just a simple fact, nothing more, nothing less. On that basis I just can't see anyone trading for more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder. No way can they get a 1st rounder. If they could, I'd say to deal him in a hearbeat.

But as it stands now though there's little to no chance they will deal him until next season when they've had a chance to make sure McGahee is the real deal. On that basis I do understand their view and really can't argue with it since Henry is a known quantity and you can win with him if everything else is in place. They just have to deal with the fact they can't put the load on his shoulders like a Faulk, Holmes, Lewis, etc., since he is not in that caliber. But hey if the Pats can make that work who knows....

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

call me crazy but is 1400 a year that bad?
                    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

This is crap! McGaHee has had 3 MAJOR knee injuries, he will never be the same. I don't care that he would have been the top pick last year. He wasn't for the above mentioned reasons. T. Herny made yards behind the same line we are trying to upgrade. You don't upgrade a good line. Henry made yards when there was NOTHING there, sometime running through people. McGaHee isn't that type of back, espeacilly NOW! Let's stay focused on making this a better team. When picking a QB in the first round there is less than a 50-50 chance he will pan out. I think it is like a 30% chance. So any QB would be a HUGE gamble to trade Herny for.
                      Retired Air Traffic Controller
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• Bert102176
                        • Aug 2002

why the hell would you wanna trade Henry, McGahee is unproven only a damn fool would wanna trade Henry
                        lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Marvelous
                          • Feb 2004

Alluro, I question either your football awareness or your loyalty to the team.
                          If you watched Bills games last year you will notice that stats dont tell the Travis Henry story. Time after time he gets hit in the backfield and muscles free to get atleast a 2 yard gain on abusted plays. Henry is that player we build around............
                          GO BILLS!!! NE
                          Magical Trevor

Comment

• Bert102176
                            • Aug 2002

Henry is our Offense why do you think we are going with a more run orianted offense are you really a Bills fan with all this BS talk about trading Henry
                            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Throne Logic
                              Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                              • Aug 2002

T. Henry has never been part of an NFL offense that handed the ball off with any kind of consistency. That said, he's still managed to collect 1400 yards over each of the last two seasons.

More often than not, Travis was hit in the backfield or took the hand-off to find his line collapsing in on him.

When the line managed to open even a small hole, Travis generally hit that hole and ground out yards after the first hit.

What I like the most about TH? He always winds up on the downfield side of the tackling pile. This is a characterstic of good backs.

Thurman Thomas never had that breakaway speed either, guys. He was a squirmer, like TH. But TT had to turn around and back his way into extra yards, whereas TH can gain them while still looking down field.

The fumbling problem was improved upon this past season. I think it will be even better in 2004.

For the record, San Diego has LT. So that trade option is a moot point.

Draft picks are NEVER of the same value as a proven player.
                              Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

Working...
                              X