PDA

View Full Version : BIG STORY WNSA is going off the air

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-08-2004, 11:00 PM
This was on the Empire Sports Report tonight Empire Sports Bob Koshinski is Reporting that WNSA is going off the air very soon. They have been bought out by Entercom radio the radio station that owns WGR55 and KB 1520. The Sabres would probably move to WGR55 which is an awful station to listen to them on you can't get a good reception all you get is static or some other FM station but Empire will still be on the air and there has been talk about even moving the Simoncast to TV. Bob Koshinski says "In a week or two WNSA will be no more it all has to do with the Adelphia scandal". Say good-bye to WNSA :wave: :wail:

Dozerdog
03-08-2004, 11:05 PM
This was posted in the SabersZone earlier- and I'm to lazy to repeat my comments-

Originally posted by Dozerdog
This is not good news if you listent o Buffalo sports via the internet.

1- Entercom, which bought WNSA sports will most likely combine the two competing stations and close one down- (Or change the format) and most likely will keep WGR -55 as the sports radio. I gues WNSA will play records or something

2- Entercom sports chose to eliminate all webcasting about 2 years ago- WGR, WEEI in boston, and other stations they own used to broadcast via the net- not any more. They are to cheap to pay any extra rights fees and union dues to the talent going on the web casts.

kgun12
03-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Maybe Entercom gets to keep the radio stations rights. Which would mean they can keep the power of WNSA! Except for the sabres games and H. Simons show, I won't miss the rest of it. Breson is a joke, and so is most of the other things on the radio and tv ends.

Bmax
03-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Being a former employee of entercom in another radio market..My bet is that they put the sabres on gr 55.. even though 15 20 would be better because of signal strength....

Look for wnsa 107.7 to go a music format my bet is Urban r and b..and classic soul luther vandross, anita baker barry white , earth wind and fire that kind of stuff. to counter all the rap on wblk and wild 101.. another format could be country sinc ether is only one in the market .. but i doubt it since that format as already been tired in this market on two stations...

Due to the aging population in the market my bet would be the older demo for the urban adult market which is being under served .. But hey that's just my opinon....

Howard simon is too good not to be on the airwaves .. gr would be smart to hire him and put in the morning with kevin.. or the afternoon with shoop....

since this is unlikely the best place for simon might be the bills pre game and post game host.. He does an excellent job on call in shows and is knowledgeable and nice to fans that call in unlike some other host who just think they know what their talking about and are nasty to the callers....

Bmax

TigerJ
03-09-2004, 07:07 AM
As far as reception goes, I get WGR better than WNSA. We're right on the fringe of WNSA's signal, but WGR is pretty reliable.

MGinestre
03-09-2004, 07:24 AM
If they want to regionalize the Sabres, they're going to have to do something to get them on the air in Rochester. Right now, you can get 107.7 there. You even have to pay extra in cable fees to get Empire. Golisano being a Rochesterian will have to do something.

Not a good day for sports radio in the area.

Forward_Lateral
03-09-2004, 07:56 AM
I heard Brian H bought the station. :lolhit:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
I see Simon possibly getting the 10-12 slot when Kornheiser retires.

Gunzlingr
03-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
I heard Brian H bought the station. :lolhit:

Ums and Ahs all day, every day on Bri 105

Dozerdog
03-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
I heard Brian H bought the station. :lolhit: He hits the three pointer from down town!

lordofgun
03-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Does this mean no more Josh Mora? :pray:

The Spaz
03-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

No more of me getting to keep up to date on my Bills at least local radio wise.:cry:

Ebenezer
03-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Bmax
Howard simon is too good not to be on the airwaves .. gr would be smart to hire him and put in the morning with kevin.. or the afternoon with shoop....

and then WGR can move Bob Gaughn to the midnight to 6 AM shift...

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-09-2004, 11:39 AM

Josh is on the TV side he does Hockey Hotline and Empire Sports Report. So he will stay it's only WNSA that's going off the air not Empire

don137
03-09-2004, 12:01 PM
I say Schoop mover from 10-2 and Simon takes over the afternoon...It sucks for all the internet listeners. I really enjoyed listening to it...

The Spaz
03-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by don137
I say Schoop mover from 10-2 and Simon takes over the afternoon...It sucks for all the internet listeners. I really enjoyed listening to it...

I know I am going to be so bored now!:punchu:

doug45
03-09-2004, 12:46 PM
GR sucks, unless you live in Buffalo it just will not come in. WNSA came in great and after we lost Empire on our cable that was our only Saber outlet. Now there will be nothing.

fushetti
03-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

and then WGR can move Bob Gaughn to the midnight to 6 AM shift...

Amen. Bob Gaughan sucks. He has the worst voice in radio.

Michael82
03-09-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't understand how Entercom can just buy WNSA out and control all the Buffalo Sports news. Doesn't that break some kind of anti-trust law? I mean come on...the Courts won't let the NFL make their own rules about high schoolers joining the NFL, because of anti-trust stuff, yet they let another big, huge company gobble up WNSA. This pisses me off so much! Why wouldn't WGR realize how much smarter it would be to transfer their radio show to 107.7? Think of how many more people could keep listening. Then, keep their internet broadcasting rights too. :mad:

Bmax
03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
well radio is out of control in general in my opinon..ifinity owns a lot of radio ....infinity is of course cbs which is owned by viacom so there you go..... alot more than entercom. they own wjye,wblk,wyrk,weck,wbuf, entercom wkse,wben 930,102.5,wgr,wnsa,wwkb-1520am,am 1400,.. just another product of the federal gov letting the big boys do what they want...

welcome to the age of one owner of everything.......

Bmax

Michael82
03-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
well radio is out of control in general in my opinon..ifinity owns a lot of radio ....infinity is of course cbs which is owned by viacom so there you go..... alot more than entercom. they own wjye,wblk,wyrk,weck,wbuf, entercom wkse,wben 930,102.5,wgr,wnsa,wwkb-1520am,am 1400,.. just another product of the federal gov letting the big boys do what they want...

welcome to the age of one owner of everything.......

Bmax

Thanks George W. Bush! :shakeno: :snicker:

:jk:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Howard would have his own show like he's doing right now and Shcoop would be out the door

The_Philster
03-09-2004, 03:50 PM

maybe he'll go back to reporting in Elmira. :snicker:

Dozerdog
03-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
I don't understand how Entercom can just buy WNSA out and control all the Buffalo Sports news. Doesn't that break some kind of anti-trust law? I mean come on...the Courts won't let the NFL make their own rules about high schoolers joining the NFL, because of anti-trust stuff, yet they let another big, huge company gobble up WNSA. This pisses me off so much! Why wouldn't WGR realize how much smarter it would be to transfer their radio show to 107.7? Think of how many more people could keep listening. Then, keep their internet broadcasting rights too. :mad:

Umm..no. Do you know what an anti- trust law is?

Anti- Trust laws are to break up monopolies that participate in unfair business practices to drive out competition. The NFL got sued by the USFL (successfully) when they demonstrated that the NFL used unfair practices (stadium leases, threatened broadcasters, ect) to keep the USFL from competing head to head. Granted their victory was symbolic (they won $3 ) but it was still an anti- trust victory.

On entercom's part- this is a good move- it eliminates their only competition. Would you consider it unfair if BillsZone bought TwoBillsDrive.com and merged them? That's what they are doing. They bought a building, their broadcast lisence, a transmitter, and some other hardware- it will still be a radio station. it will just change formats. Theyb are just going to move some of the broadcasts and talent over

Bmax
03-09-2004, 07:38 PM
the big boys just need to give us more variety...which i doubt because all they care about is money .. why else would they run paid programming at night ......they even do it on music formated stations...talk about greed.. then they don't even want ot pay a board op or part time jock more than 8.00 an hour......

Bmax

Demon
03-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by don137

Schoop and the Bulldog from 3 til 7pm are twice as good as Simon is on WNSA. I like Howard Simon and all, he's awsome and i enjoy listening to him, but nothing beats Schoop and the Bulldog.

Demon
03-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Is there anyway WGR goes on internet feed?

I'm pretty sure the NHL has a rule that a team cannot sign a contract with a radio station that doesn't have an internet feed. I get WGR perfectly in my car but i dont get it at my house. Weird.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Demon
Is there anyway WGR goes on internet feed?

I'm pretty sure the NHL has a rule that a team cannot sign a contract with a radio station that doesn't have an internet feed. I get WGR perfectly in my car but i dont get it at my house. Weird.

Great point WGR55 doesn't allow you to listen over the internet now in matter of fact no radio station let's you listen over the internet except WNSA.

WGR is the worst radio station that's on the AM dial I can't tune it in where I live and when I do get it tuned in i get static and buzzing not a good station to put the SABRES on.

BillsFever
03-10-2004, 12:23 AM
WTF? I can't get WGR where I live but I get WNSA. This sucks.