PDA

View Full Version : How Many Wins Will Make You Happy

northernbillfan
07-24-2002, 12:26 PM
I know we have talked about predictions and more predictions, and expectations and more expectations.

We just lived through one of our worst seasons with 3-13 and we are still fans. There may be a few more bandwagon fans this season, which is fine, They will come and go like they always do.

My question is how many wins/losses are acceptable for you?

We all have great expectations this season with the work TD and GW have done in the off season. But our patience will be tried if we fail to win 6 games or less.

What is the least amount of wins that will upset you?

Mine is 8. we should be able to play .500 or better with the team we have, any less and I will be very p-ed off.

The Shadow
07-24-2002, 12:28 PM
8 to be satisfied that the team is improving.

11-12 would really make me happy.

LtBillsFan66
07-24-2002, 12:29 PM
8 happy
10 happier
12 fully satisfied

Valerie
07-24-2002, 12:44 PM
Anything above the 3 wins the Bills had last year will make me happy. :) And as long as they beat the Jets both times this year, I'm good. I'm easy to please. :)

Cntrygal
07-24-2002, 12:51 PM
I will be happy with 8. That means that we did improve and worked as a team.

I will be estatic with anything more than that.

07-24-2002, 12:57 PM
16 and I would faint dead away plus the playoffs and SB then I know I would be dead because it would be a heavenly revenge

lordofgun
07-24-2002, 01:09 PM
I really wouldn't mind 16 wins. Seriously.

But I'd be happy with 9 as long as it's only the 9th week of the season.

WCoastFin
07-24-2002, 01:25 PM
0 wins would make me happy for your team!

WCoastFin
07-24-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by #89
16 and I would faint dead away plus the playoffs and SB then I know I would be dead because it would be a heavenly revenge

Sorry 89, but only 1 team is capabable of doing that. The only way the Bills would do that is if they get re-aligned to a high school conference, and even that, I would have my doubts!

DraftBoy
07-24-2002, 01:40 PM
8 to be happy, 10 to be satisfied, a sweep of the Fins and im done

EricStratton
07-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin

Sorry 89, but only 1 team is capabable of doing that. The only way the Bills would do that is if they get re-aligned to a high school conference, and even that, I would have my doubts!

Hey WCoast, if you're going to steal jokes from FinHeaven posters at least give them cridit. That high-school line is strait from WhartRat man.

blcny
07-24-2002, 03:37 PM
4 - one better then last year

RedEyE
07-24-2002, 03:38 PM
8, and it won't be easy. I'd like to see the Bill's regain their home field advantage reputation.

TedMock
07-24-2002, 03:49 PM
9 - winning records make me happy. It'll be tough though considering the schedule.

WCoastFin
07-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by EricStratton

Hey WCoast, if you're going to steal jokes from FinHeaven posters at least give them cridit. That high-school line is strait from WhartRat man.

Im sorry Eric, I dont have enough time to read all the posts on Finheaven, but if he said it first , then everybody, credit goes to Whartrat......I dont care who says it as long as it gets said.

BTW,if you happen to say something that I have said,and didnt know I said it first go ahead and keep the credit....:coffee:

EricStratton
07-24-2002, 08:19 PM
It's in a damn thread you started.

Mad Bomber
07-24-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
0 wins would make me happy for your team!

2 wins against the fins would make me happy....

WCoastFin
07-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

2 wins against the fins would make me happy....

Your not gonna be happy for a long time!!!:biggrin:

Ð
07-24-2002, 09:29 PM
9 this year

Typ0
08-25-2002, 11:20 AM
Jets -- WIN. Gotta hope for this just to keep our dreams alive.
Vikings -- LOSS. Just being realistic.
Broncos -- LOSS. Big day for Griese and Bledsoe. Bledsoe is playing against a better defense.
Bears -- LOSS. Bad day for Bledsoe.
Raiders -- LOSS. Only week on Raiders schedule they don't have trouble scoring at will.
Texans -- LOSS. Best new franchise they will go 7-9 and we will be part of the seven.
Dolfins -- LOSS. Oh well.
Lions -- LOSS. Much improved team than last season who's offense eats us alive.
Patriots -- WIN. Bledsoe beats Brady.
Chiefs -- LOSS. Let down from previous weeks "big" win.
Jets -- LOSS. JETS haven't gotten it out of their heads yet they aren't contenders.
Dolfins -- LOSS. Defense is too good for us and our only chance is a shoot-out.
Patriots -- LOSS. You can't have everything.
Chargers -- LOSS. Drew Brees loves playing against sucka's.
Packers -- LOSS. Padding Favre's stats too.
Bengals -- LOSS. Battle of the bottom feeders. We lose.

2-14. Do we get a good draft pick? We might as well just lose every game on purpose. I reserve the right to revise my predicions if we have a football team show up. Ten wins and a playoff berth I would be satisfied.

The_Philster
08-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
Anything above the 3 wins the Bills had last year will make me happy. :) And as long as they beat the Jets both times this year, I'm good. I'm easy to please. :)

Easy to please? :D I won't even go any further ;)

HenryRules
08-25-2002, 11:56 AM
7 wins and I'm happy. That's 1-4 to start and 6-5 to finish the season. Really all I'm looking for is improved play from the team from game-to-game and I'll be happy.

Dozerdog
08-25-2002, 12:27 PM
How many wins will make me happy?

Just one.... But it better be the Super Bowl

WG
08-25-2002, 02:26 PM
To me it's not the number of wins outright that will determine the success of our season. What will make the difference will be how well our O plays.

We've essentially neglected the most important part of our defense, namely the DL, in order to bring in one of the NFL's formerly premiere QBs in Bledsoe. In order to justify this move, IMO, the offense needs to play among the top offenses in this league. If we go 5-11 and end up having an offense that is ranked in the top 6, then I would consider this season a success. Likewise, if we go 8-8 or 9-7 and it were by some strangeness, attributable primarily to our D, I would consider it less of a success.

We had some options in the offseason, first of which was getting Chandler here, or at least trying, for near vet-min, and then using the $5M+ that was spent on Drew to get 2 or 3 other linemen, 2 DL-men, and perhaps even another OL-man. We could then have retained Chandler next year, and drafted one of the QB prospects with what now appears will be a #1-16 first-round pick. Yet, we chose against that option.

Instead, we drafted Josh Reed w/ the 36th overall and the #4 in round 2, instead of addressing our DL. OK move, if, in conjunction w/ Drew's signing, those players actually make a difference.

The question is a "difference" between what?

For Drew, this difference would be to play much better than our option at QB, namely Chandler or much better than other average QBs. IMO, that means that Drew will need to put up 25+ TDs and have fewer than say 16 or 17 INTs to go with it. Moreover, that all will mean nothing if our O doesn't produce points on the board generally speaking.

It also appears now that Drew does not have the propensity to avoid the sacks that RJ was criticized for sustaining. I always thought sacks were overrated unless they were of the third down variety in particular, but Drew's sacks are no different that RJ's and I poo-poo'd RJ's and still think that sacks are overrated as a single measure of a QB's effectiveness. Nonetheless, they are part and parcel of a QB's overall level of play, and Drew has sustained 7 sacks in slightly more than 4 Qs of play, which is an average of 6 or 7 a game. That would be well over 100 on the year, so needless to say, those need to be mitigated.

In any case, Drew will need to play much better compared to say Chandler has and would have if this decision is to be in our best interests. For if he doesn't, then it necessarily will beg the question why didn't we get the same thing for a fifth, or less, of the price, hold on to our first-rounder for next year, and bolster our D and O lines yet another notch w/ the same money!

So, the bottom line IMO, is that if we have a top 8 (25%) Offense this season, and Drew plays at least as well as he did in his best seasons, I really don't care what our record is. Even at 4-12, this season will have been a success. We would then be able to focus almost exclusively on our D next offseason and sign the DL-men that we couldn't this year. Next year's draft is not promising the depth of DTs that this year's draft had. Therefore, we'll be well positioned to address that need via free-agency since we won't have a first rounder.

We signed Drew with the expectation that he would turn his career around. We signed him for the "future" and not as a stop-gap fix for one or two seasons. Therefore, it stands to reason, that if he turns out to be less than excellent and into something that we could have gotten at the fraction of the price, w/o giving up a high first-round pick, with tremendous opportunity cost as well, then it will have turned out to have hurt us far more than it would have helped us in the future had it worked out well.

On the flip-side, if we have to spend next offseason addressing offensive needs that should have been corrected, and we need to use the precious few decent draft picks that we have to do it, then it will again be at the detriment of our D next season. It will limit what we can do to upgrade our D next year too.

As I see it, signing a couple of proven and decent DTs, or a DT and a DE, would have made our D extremely solid. Being able to get another viable OL-man would have solidified our OL incredibly. Instead, with all of our eggs in the basket of the passing game, we're now reaping what we've sown.

Whether that crop "provides food for the masses," remains to be seen. If so, then it will have been a season well-managed. If not, then the negative ramifications will be felt for a couple of years and set this program back much more than most people realized it could!

HenryRules
08-25-2002, 03:28 PM
I guess you're not going to be pleased with Drew because I don't think Gilbride has ever had a QB throw for 25+ TD's.

Dozerdog
08-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Chandler? You are kidding, right??

Dozerdog
08-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Please let me in on these 5-6 quality players who would each settle for $750K- $1 mill to latch on to a 3-13 team without a proven leader at QB.

Mad Bomber
08-25-2002, 04:08 PM
I'd be EXTREMELY happy with 16 wins.

I'd be happy with 11.

I'd expect 8 or 9...

7 or less would not surprise me, but would not make me happy.

Overall, I think we're building toward next year. We're in the toughest division in the league - we could send 3 teams to the playoffs. Unfortunately, unless our D gets a whole lot better, we may not be one of them.

As the eternal optimist (or, as some may say, one who is in denial) I think we'll win 10 this year, and make an early exit from the playoffs.

northernbillfan
08-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Why am I not surprised to see this thread resurface, especially after last nights game.

Even after listening to it last night, I think we are going to have a good season. 8 wins will satisfy me as a fan.

I'm surpirsed a lot of us are still hanging on thinking we will have a 10 win or better season.

Bufftp
08-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I really wouldn't mind 16 wins. Seriously.

But I'd be happy with 9 as long as it's only the 9th week of the season.
Log, one your finer traits-at least your reasonable?

Bufftp
08-25-2002, 05:37 PM
7-8 wins would show improvement.

colin
08-25-2002, 06:20 PM

mybills
08-25-2002, 06:54 PM
I'm with Jaded on this one, anything over last year's 3!

Typo, I have a $50. bet on this, in this order! :D

<b>"Patriots -- WIN. Bledsoe beats Brady.
Patriots -- LOSS. You can't have everything."</b>

Mr Bill
08-26-2002, 01:07 AM
Just because we're stinking the joint up during the pre-season, doesn't mean we still can't surprise everybody.

I still think we can get 10 wins.

:ontome:

Buffatexas
08-26-2002, 06:34 AM
I would be satisfied with 7 providing there are no blow-outs in the losses

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Who removed the word limit on Wys' posts??? :eek:

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2002, 07:55 AM
Chandler behind this line would be a trainwreck. Even the Bears, who had among the fewest sacks allowed last year, are afraid to play the porcelain QB. The only advantage to this would be that the Bills would be 2-14 and have their No. 1.

Patrick76777
08-26-2002, 08:02 AM
it's still Preseason......Let's take it one at a time. let's beat the Jets at home

TigerJ
08-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Encouraged - 8
Satisfied - 9
Absolutely giddy - 10 or more.