PDA

View Full Version : Moore has broken neck

northernbillfan
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
And will miss the rest of the season.

I hope they throw the book at Bertuzzi.

Avalanche say forward Steve Moore out for season after Bertuzzi attack (http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=f1e13fd2-77bd-4cb3-b512-38a95cb090af)

Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore, sucker-punched from behind by Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi, will miss the rest of the season with a fractured neck as bad blood led to a bad injury.

The Avs rookie crashed face first to the ice following Bertuzzi's punch in the third period of Colorado's 9-2 win Monday night. The Canucks power forward landed on top of Moore, who was targeted because of a hit last month that sidelined Vancouver captain Markus Naslund with a concussion.

Valerie
03-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Gosh! That's just awful! :(

JD
03-09-2004, 03:00 PM
wow broken neck.

Is bertuzzi facing charges?

He should, that dirty mother ****er.
He deserves to be in jail cuz if that happend on the streets he would b fo shizzle.
Luckily moore isnt paralyzed.....

The Spaz
03-09-2004, 03:01 PM
That **** needs to be in jail IMO!

SkateZilla
03-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Tsk Tsk Tsk,

He'll DO Canadian Jail Time for Assault.

clumping platelets
03-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Bertuzzi should be out for the rest of the season, including playoffs. Then, Bertuzzi does not return until Steve Moore is able to return

lordofgun
03-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Is there anywhere you can see the hit? I missed it. :(

Ebenezer
03-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Bertuzzi should be out for the rest of the season, including playoffs. Then, Bertuzzi does not return until Steve Moore is able to return

this is the NHL remember?? I would be shocked if he got more than 40 games...more like 10.

clumping platelets
03-09-2004, 03:05 PM
ESPNews

northernbillfan
03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Is there anywhere you can see the hit? I missed it. :(

Right here (http://www.hockeyfights.com/cf277/040308_bertuzzi_cheapshots_moore.wmv)

Valerie
03-09-2004, 03:11 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! He looks like he was unconscious before he even hit the ice. OMG!!!!

northernbillfan
03-09-2004, 03:14 PM
I just saw a press conference on The Score and Vancouver police are now looking at criminal charges against Bertuzzi.

clumping platelets
03-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Vancouver was where McSorley was charged.

SkateZilla
03-09-2004, 03:17 PM
ESPN Motino on ESPN.com Has it

Ban Him From The NHL....

And Do Jail Time

qcsabresfan84
03-09-2004, 03:22 PM
His face must be jacked up. That ice is not very smooth on the skin with all the rivets in it.

SkateZilla
03-09-2004, 03:25 PM
he maybe parylized...

Judging By the Replay's His Legs and Knee's looked Awful Stiff When He Was Sliding from One Blue Line to Another on his Face.. Not to Mention Bertuzi.. and 2 other Cunncks + 2 Calorado Players Were on top of Him as well..

Dozerdog
03-09-2004, 03:35 PM
What is turning this into a criminal case is that 2 weeks ago Steve Moore was involved with a big hit on Marcus Naslund- Vancouver's best player and one of the top 3 in the league.

While the hit can be considered by some as borderline, he was not penalized on the play and after a league review, was not suspended or fined.

The Enraged Canucks, led by former Sabre Brad May (and 'm ashamed I have his autograph on my replica Jersey) put a bounty on Moore's head. This made the assault premeditated- and not one of those "spur of the moment" excuses you can get away with when someone cheap shots another player.

These two teams played last week, but not much happened- it was a close game, as well as knowledge that all the league big wigs and the Comissioner were in attendance - so no funny stuff happened.

Colorado ass-whipped the Canucks- who looked like the only thing they were interested in was chasing Moore all over the ice to start fights. Moor edid his duty- stood his ground in an early fight- and that should have ended it.

But what an ******* Brad May was. After netting both of Vancouver's goals- he went over to Colorado goalie Dave Aebischer and punched him- TWICE!

They were blatantly obvios in their attempts. How May didn't get 10 minutes after the first goal, and ejected after the second goal I'll never understand.

SkateZilla
03-09-2004, 03:41 PM
The Entire Team Should Be Suspended From the Post Season for having Premeditated Plans To Injure Moore,

What Moore Did to Naslund Was Nothing COmpared to What Bertuzzi Did to Moore, and What Moore Did To Naslund Didnt Warrant the Entire Vancouver Team To Go Head Hunting and Injure if Not Paralyze Him....

Turf
03-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Jesus that was ugly, thanks for posting the video. He should be banned for at least 1 year.

qcsabresfan84
03-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by SkateZilla
he maybe parylized...

Judging By the Replay's His Legs and Knee's looked Awful Stiff When He Was Sliding from One Blue Line to Another on his Face.. Not to Mention Bertuzi.. and 2 other Cunncks + 2 Calorado Players Were on top of Him as well..

I really doubt he's paralyzed. Your legs go stiff when you die, not when your paralyzed. He was just knocked out immediately.

northernbillfan
03-09-2004, 04:29 PM
The preliminary medical reports state that Moore has use of all his extremities.

Sabre Ally
03-09-2004, 04:57 PM
That's good news.

SkateZilla
03-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Really Good news....

BuffaloRanger
03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Remember when Lafontaine was nailed with an elbow ending his season and the Sabres playoff hopes? I do. I wanted that guy dead. The Sabres did nothing. Pitiful. The league reviewed that too. And did nothing. They have always hated Buffalo.

That was a great Sabres team. That was the year, the Sabres took the devils to 7 games after winning the triple OT game 6. Patty would have helped, don't you think?

So I think a punk like Moore should get his ass kicked. But not neck fractured. There are unwritten rules in Hockey. One of them is "Don't cheapshot the other teams best player." If you break this rule you will get your ass kicked.

1. Moore shouldn't have run away from Bertuzzi.

2. The way Moore landed he was either knocked out or stunned by the first punch. He didn't get his hands up to break his fall.

3. Why Bertuzzi thought it would be a good thing to jump on his back, I don't know. If Moore landed OK and uninjured, what was Bertuzzi going to do? Sit on his back and punch him? That would have looked foolish - not tough.

Betuzzi will be suspended for the rest of the year - to include playoffs. Ironically, this will be a great thing for the Avs. Rich get richer.

The Spaz
03-09-2004, 08:29 PM
I remember the hit on LaFontaine it was Francois LaRue who I don't even think is in the NHL anymore!:mad::shakeno:

qcsabresfan84
03-09-2004, 09:36 PM
I still don't think that Moore hit Naslund like that intentionally. It looked to me like Moore was going in for a clean body check and naslund cut inside and got low and got his head knocked on Moore's hip.

BuffaloRanger
03-10-2004, 12:31 AM
I still don't know what Bertuzzi was thinking jumping on his back? Did he get wrapped up with him and then just think "Hey, why not pile drive him" on the way down?

That's not old time hockey. Just really cheap and stupid. Even the goons in the league can't understand it. Grab the guy and kick his ass man to man, don't be a little ***** and sucker punch/jump on his back.

I agree with Bill Clement. If not for that stupid instigator rule, Moore would have got his ass kicked right after he hurt Naslund, and it would have been over and done with. No bounties and weeks to think about it. The instigator rule allows players to slash, etc. with no fear of retribution in a close game, because of the extra penalty.

pyrrhonist
03-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
If not for that stupid instigator rule, Moore would have got his ass kicked right after he hurt Naslund, and it would have been over and done with. No bounties and weeks to think about it. The instigator rule allows players to slash, etc. with no fear of retribution in a close game, because of the extra penalty.

I agree 100% :punk:

The Canucks and Avs should've been able to "get this out of their system" the same night Nas got hit by Moore. But due to the insticrapper rule, it festered, and was allowed to build up. I'm in no way condoning what Bert did, as obviously there was no need for him to sucker punch Moore from a blindside. I'm not convinced he intentionally "rode" him to the ice, though. What hurt Moore even more, I'm sure, is Bert's weight coming down on Moore, plus Nikolishin jumping on top of both. Then, about 2-3 more players dogpiled on them. When you've got 600+ more lbs on top of an unconscious guy, that can't be good.

BTW, I also do not agree with the local police getting involved, just like I didn't when the McSorley/Brashear incident occurred. The NHL should handle this incident, it happened during a game, at an NHL-sanctioned event.

northernbillfan
03-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by pyrrhonist
BTW, I also do not agree with the local police getting involved, just like I didn't when the McSorley/Brashear incident occurred. The NHL should handle this incident, it happened during a game, at an NHL-sanctioned event.

The police are involved because it has premeditated aspects. And it's Bee Cee, that's where Marty McSorley went after Brashear, so precident has been set there.

Twistmyarm
03-10-2004, 06:47 AM
That ice is not very smooth on the skin with all the rivets in it.

:eek:

I think what happened is horrible and I hope Moore returns but let's play the other side of the arguement, just beacause as usual everyone is screaming for heads to roll...

First off, I'm sure Bertuzzi didn't say hey I'm gonna fracture this guy's neck by punching him in the head. He didn't swing his freakin stick at his head like McSorley did to Brasheer, if you watch the clip he's got Moore by the Jersey and is talking smack to him trying to get Moore to drop his gloves, but because Moore was to chicken **** to drop the gloves with him, Bertuzzi got pissed and decided to pop him in the head to (I would imagine) get him to change his mind and then the fight he wanted would be on...

It didn't help that everyone and their brother did a dogpile on top of Moore.

Fine him, suspend him for the rest of the season, pray that Moore gets well enough to return and tell the Vancouver Police to STFU and stay out of it!

my point is, it's a contact sport with fighting and **** happens, there was no intent to injure in my mind, there was intent to drop the gloves and get some payback for Naslund but that I'm sure was his only intent.

And Bertuzzi called him at the hospital right after the incident to check on his condition and appologize. Granted it doesn't excuse him, but I think he genuinely regrets the incident, and like I said I would bet my house, car and every paycheck for the rest of my life that he wasn't thinking...." I'm gonna punch this ***** in the back of his head, hitting him in the perfect spot to knock him out cold, and then drive his head into the ice and fracture his neck"

helmetguy
03-10-2004, 07:58 AM
There's nothing Bertuzzi can say or do to make this thing any less criminal. Negligence is not a defense. If Gary Bettman has even a trace of testosterone in him (which I've often doubted since the "No Goal" fiasco) he'd end Bertuzzi's career immediately. Sure, this is an extreme incident that COULD have been much worse. If it means a guy might think twice before the next cheap shot, the league will have done its job.

Dozerdog
03-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
The police are involved because it has premeditated aspects. And it's Bee Cee, that's where Marty McSorley went after Brashear, so precident has been set there.

Yeah, Vancouver authorities kinda backed themselves into a corner on this one. Sure, it was really popular and a great idea to pursue McSorley (who deserved everything he got) when it was an opposing team's player's assault on a Canuck. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

What's the reaction in Vancouver today?

pyrrhonist
03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
What's the reaction in Vancouver today?

This is the latest info on TSN.ca:

The NHL disciplinary hearing into Todd Bertuzzi's attack on Steve Moore, which was scheduled to start at 9 am ET today, has been delayed. A league spokesman said some parties involved had asked for more time. Bertuzzi and Vancouver general manager Brian Burke are in Toronto for the hearing before NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

Full article is here:
Decision Day (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=75668&hubName=nhl)

realmendontwearteal
03-10-2004, 10:24 AM
im thinking that bertuzzi aint gonna play the rest of the year..... thats a serious issue.

do you think the hit on naslund earlier in the year was legal? I dont think he was trying to knock him out.... good news about morre is a very good thing

Ð
03-10-2004, 10:32 AM
It wasn't that bad. It's not like Dave Winfield killing seagulls or anything...

realmendontwearteal
03-10-2004, 10:41 AM
hearing has been delayed

SkateZilla
03-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I Just Got a Phone Call Form One of My Buddies In Canada, He's Saying That They Are Reporting 2 Year Suspension from NHL and Affiliates,

but the Radio Hear Still Says Campbell will Tell us tomarrow

qcsabresfan84
03-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I expect it will be between 20-25 games, or maybe just ending his season completely. But i would be surprised if it's a year or more because he at least didn't use a weapon like McSorley did.

northernbillfan
03-11-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by SkateZilla
I Just Got a Phone Call Form One of My Buddies In Canada, He's Saying That They Are Reporting 2 Year Suspension from NHL and Affiliates.

That's speculation. There have been NO reports from Canada mentioning length of suspension. Dunno where your buddy gets his facts from, but I listen to sports radio here in Edmonton all day and I've not heard one word, except that the announcement will be Thursday at 9AM EST.

I'll take a dig and find some local reports to link to.

northernbillfan
03-11-2004, 02:10 AM
Some quotes from the police:

"I have spoken to the chief of Vancouver (police) this morning," said Coleman Tuesday. "There is an ongoing investigation with regard to this incident."

Const. Sarah Bloor, a Vancouver police spokeswoman, revealed the investigation started after police received "several" public complaints.

"We have an obligation once a complaint is received to conduct an investigation into an incident of this nature," Bloor said.

"Regardless of the fact that this involves a player in the National Hockey League, this will be a routine assault investigation. Crown counsel will be responsible for making a decision as to whether or not anyone is charged."

I think Bertuzzi should get the maximum fine and suspension, but what I find odd about the charges is that they stem from public complaints and not some criminal code, although the premeditation is more than enough to go on.

Ð
03-11-2004, 06:15 AM
There's also a difference between the role of the police in Canada vs the US.

In the US, the victim has to press charges, and can drop the charges - it's completely their decision.

In Canada, the police actually charge a person with an offense on behalf of the crown. Once the ball gets rolling, it's very rare that they don't charge the person.

Bottom line, Bert probably will lose millions over this and will more than likely wind up in the pokey.

helmetguy
03-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Ð
There's also a difference between the role of the police in Canada vs the US.

In the US, the victim has to press charges, and can drop the charges - it's completely their decision.

In Canada, the police actually charge a person with an offense on behalf of the crown. Once the ball gets rolling, it's very rare that they don't charge the person.

Bottom line, Bert probably will lose millions over this and will more than likely wind up in the pokey.

Actually, here in the US, even if a complainant chooses to withdraw the accusation, the jurisdiction can still pursue the case criminally. The deciding factor is whether, in the opinion of the convening authority, probable cause still exists in addition to the allegations made by the original complainant.