PDA

View Full Version : Bills to meet with Volek in Tennessee

shelby
03-11-2004, 04:37 AM
There's a brand new coaching staff in Buffalo these days, but apparently the new guys got the word on free agent quarterback Billy Volek and what he did to the Bills last season.

In his first NFL start, Volek led the Titans to a 28-26 win over the Bills in December. Sunday, the Bills are scheduled to meet with Volek in Nashville.

full story (http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/04/03/48172652.shtml?Element_ID=48172652)

mightyspaz
03-11-2004, 04:52 AM
Alright I'm new but Here's my Schpiel...
1. Pick up Troy Vincent fast! ... Although I keep hearing TD might have something up his sleeve concerning Ty Law.
2. We either need to pick up Bill Volek or a Veteren WR like Dez White.
3. Which ever position we don't fill, we take as a first round.
4. One more experienced OL
5. A pass rusher, and if allelse fails above at least we might have cap space for Sapp?
That's what I think!
The Mighty SpAz

kardshark19
03-11-2004, 04:55 AM
Why the he11 would we want Sapp???

shelby
03-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Welcome to the Zone:wave:

The_Philster
03-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by kardshark19
Why the he11 would we want Sapp???

agreed. We already have 2 strong starters at DT. :scratch:

kardshark19
03-11-2004, 05:11 AM
We definitely wouldn't want to spend the money it would cost to get him here, since we do have two good starters. We would be better off using the money on someone like Volek, or TV.

And don't mean to attack your 1st post. Welcome!

Jan Reimers
03-11-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm not sold on Volek. I think Henson, Rivers, Losman or Schaub will be better long term. And please, not that sap Sapp.

Ickybaluky
03-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Although I keep hearing TD might have something up his sleeve concerning Ty Law

The Patriots have made it clear they are going to keep Law for the 2004 season. They might release him in 2005, but he will not be released this season.

Novacane
03-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by NE39
Although I keep hearing TD might have something up his sleeve concerning Ty Law

The Patriots have made it clear they are going to keep Law for the 2004 season. They might release him in 2005, but he will not be released this season.

Good! TD's been burned by 2 ex-patriots. I hope he has learned his lesson. If Bill Bellichek does not want a player anymore there is a damn good reason.

Novacane
03-11-2004, 07:40 AM
As for Volek............................I would rather pass on him but they must be very interested in him if they are going to him.

from the article......

Across the NFL it's a busy time for free agency visits, but not too many teams travel to see a player

I was thinking the same thing.

It says the Falcons are very interested. I don't know why he would want to go there if he wants to ever start. Vick is younger than he is.

baalworship
03-11-2004, 07:43 AM
It has been reported that Sam Wyche is going to meet with Volek in Tennessee. That sounds like strong interest to me.

Dozerdog
03-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by mightyspaz
Alright I'm new but Here's my Schpiel...
1. Pick up Troy Vincent fast! ... Although I keep hearing TD might have something up his sleeve concerning Ty Law.
2. We either need to pick up Bill Volek or a Veteren WR like Dez White.
3. Which ever position we don't fill, we take as a first round.
4. One more experienced OL
5. A pass rusher, and if allelse fails above at least we might have cap space for Sapp?
That's what I think!
The Mighty SpAz

Sapp would eat up all our cap space and then some. He's going to command Kearse like money. 6-8 mill a year

Dez White is nice, but might be a waste of cap sace for a guy who will catch 30-40 balls

I do like the idea of Volek as backup- it does save us one of our top 3 picks.

If Volek is in the fold- I bet we get an OL, WR, and DE in the draft- Mabee Udeze #1, Jake Grove #2, Devard Darling (wr) 3

OpIv37
03-11-2004, 07:50 AM
Volek is unproven- this is RJ all over again: paying too much for a QB who has shown potential but hasn't had any experience as a starter. This team has lacked a good QB since Jim Kelly left- we need a future QB who can learn under Bledsoe for a year or so then starat. I'd rather get rivers or Rothlisberger in the draft.

Jeff1220
03-11-2004, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't mind Volek, as long as he starts out as just the back-up, and doesn't cost too much. I'd rather see him as a successor, and emergency man in case Drew sucks a$$ again.

The RJ comparison is moot since the Bills wouldn't be giving up any picks for Volek, and especially not multiple picks!

BuffaloRanger
03-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Please no QB controversy! Get a capable back-up that won't be looked at to start this year. A 1st round pick would.

The Bills can't develop a young QB. Bills fans are hell on young QBs. That's our thing.

When we need another starting QB get one from FA.

STAMPY
03-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Good! TD's been burned by 2 ex-patriots. I hope he has learned his lesson. If Bill Bellichek does not want a player anymore there is a damn good reason.

there is nothing wrong with lawyer milloy... i rather have him with me then against me

The Spaz
03-11-2004, 10:16 AM
I would prefer a rookie just because of the age factor Volek is already 27 and probably won't get that much better. That's just IMO.

mikedd74
03-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Draft Phil Rivers or If they can sign Volek why not!!! Release Travis Brown and Make Van Pelt the 3rd string QB.

The Natrix
03-11-2004, 11:05 AM
If Volek is signed and Bledsoe is retained, it is going to be very hard for Bledsoe to stay on the field. There were louder boos directed at Bledsoe last season, than I ever heard for RJ.

It was funny when people chanted AVP last year, but when they chant Volek this year, it isn't going to be joking around.

In my opinion, Bledsoe should be cut if Volek signs. That will open up some nice cap space and I really don't see how it is possible that Volek could play worse. Bledsoe has been god awful. I just don't see Drew becomming consistent enough in the future.

Also, with Bledsoe at the helm, I feel it is more neccessary to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd. With Volek, Buffalo could afford to take a shot at a later round prospect such as Harris, Smoker, or Pickett. However, I'd rather see Volek brought in <b>and</b> draft Big Ben or Rivers. It is time to get serious about getting a real QB in Buffalo.

Pull the Trigger TD, get Volek and cut Bledsoe, and give this team a chance to win this year!

HAMMER
03-11-2004, 12:27 PM
I am sooo down with Volek, I watched him play at Fresno State and he is solid. When you get stuck behind Steve McNair it is hard to prove your worth. IMO, Buffalo will scrutinize Bledsoe's play through November and unless he lights it up will probably not pay the big bonus he is due, which means he will be done at that point. Fact of matter is he might not even see the field if an experienced QB like Volek comes in and trounces him in training camp. Anything but the horrible QB play we saw all but 2 games last year (NE, JAX).

Novacane
03-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

there is nothing wrong with lawyer milloy... i rather have him with me then against me

Wire could have done what he did last year. BB let him go because he was on the decline. Not a pro-bowl player anymore and TD payed him like a PB player.

Novacane
03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by HAMMER
Fact of matter is he might not even see the field if an experienced QB like Volek comes in and trounces him in training camp.

IF Volek beat him out he should just be cut. It would be very foolish to spend 6 mill on a backup QB

Novacane
03-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

In my opinion, Bledsoe should be cut if Volek signs. That will open up some nice cap space and I really don't see how it is possible that Volek could play worse. Bledsoe has been god awful. I just don't see Drew becomming consistent enough in the future.

:clap: Especially if we are going to run a power offense centered on the running game. I don't see why Volek could not do what Delhomme did for Carolina and Bledsoes 6 mill should could fill a few holes.

Mr. Cynical
03-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Especially if we are going to run a power offense centered on the running game. I don't see why Volek could not do what Delhomme did for Carolina and Bledsoes 6 mill should could fill a few holes.

Yep. Makes complete sense, but unfortunately I bet TD is still going to hang on to his "blockbuster deal" for one more year.

Mr. Cynical
03-11-2004, 12:57 PM

Agreed. :up:

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2004, 01:06 PM
It might not be a bad idea to get him. I doubt he will want huge money and he will be ready to play right away if Bledsoe plays bad or gets injured. Then we don't have to use our first on a QB.

bills_7
03-11-2004, 01:22 PM
drew is the francise player here, he will be the starter all yr unless he plays worse then last yr.... which is almost impossible

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:41 PM
WNSA said the Bills have said the Rumor of them going to Tennessee to scout Volek are unfounded.

Bert102176
03-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Volek is a career Frank Reich great back-up crappy starter

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-11-2004, 04:20 PM
WNSA's Ricky Jay the guy that does the sports tickers is saying that the BILLS are NOT going to Tenessee. I just heard it just a few minutes ago.

BuffaloRanger
03-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Natrix read Ingtar33's (NFL scout) great explanation of why DB blew last year. I think he can bounce back. The guy broke 10 franchise passing records just one year ago.

Great Article! (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?state=news&action=YourSite_content&month=11&nid=7680)

No QB controversy in Buffalo again please! No 1st Rd QB!!

shelby
03-12-2004, 04:32 AM
Update on the Volek situation:

Volek visited with the Atlanta Falcons for a second time on Thursday and has already mulled over two contract proposals, said agent Ken Staninger. Volek has also met with Denver and Green Bay.

As for the Bills, director of pro personnel John Guy has spoken with Staninger and quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche has spoken directly to Volek, the agent confirmed. But there are no definitive plans to bring Volek to Buffalo, and the Bills, contrary to two published reports, said Wyche will not travel to Nashville to meet Volek on Sunday.

Staninger had no knowledge of Volek getting together with Wyche this weekend, but he said something may be in the works.

“There was some talk of getting together, but it’s been a whirlwind tour for Billy and it’s hard to keep track,” Staninger said.

link (http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/bills/0312B43IS2U_sports.shtml)

shelby
03-12-2004, 03:12 PM
The Buffalo Bills reported Thursday they do not have a visit scheduled this weekend with Tennessee Titans quarterback Billy Volek.
Bills Vice President of Communications Scott Berchtold said quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche has not made plans to scout the unrestricted free agent, as sources told The News on Wednesday. Berchtold said he could not comment on the possibility of a future visit by the Bills with Volek but that none currently has been set.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040312/1053504.asp