PDA

View Full Version : Vincent finishes KC visit, assessing options...

Ickybaluky
03-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Vincent finished his visit with KC, but left without an offer. He apparently has a contract offer from Cincy, but makes no mention of Buffalo.

The Bengals look like his most likely landing spot, as they have a need and have made an offer, but Cincy is also bringing in Bobby Taylor for a visit, so it is still up in the air.

Per the KC Star (requires registration, so I am pasting it):

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/8156043.htm

Text:

Free-agent cornerback Troy Vincent left Kansas City on Wednesday night without a contract offer from the Chiefs.

“No. Nothing yet,'' Vincent said shortly before leaving Arrowhead Stadium for Kansas City International Airport. “We wanted to complete the visit. I wanted to get back home and discuss it with my wife. I want them to discuss it internally about how they felt.''

If the Chiefs are serious about signing Vincent, a five-time Pro Bowler, they might have to move quickly. Vincent has a contract offer from Cincinnati, and the Bengals on Wednesday released one of their starting corners, Jeff Burris.

That could mean the Bengals are clearing roster space and cap room for Vincent.

“In Cincinnati, I think I'm No. 1 on their priority list,'' Vincent said. “I did tell them I had a commitment to coach (Dick) Vermeil to come here and look at the organization because it was highly recommended.

“I have not spoken to any of those individuals (in Cincinnati) since I've been on this trip because I wanted to devote all my time and effort here. My wife and I will take some time and discuss where we are and what's the best fit.''

Vincent's interest in the Chiefs was sharpened by repeated phone calls from linebacker Shawn Barber, a former teammate of Vincent's in Philadelphia. Vincent said his trip confirmed his image of Kansas City as a place he'd like to play.

“The first thing on my list of things I'm looking for is the coach and what he's about,'' Vincent said. “What's the true man? Coach Vermeil is special. He makes everybody in the organization feel special. I'd like to be a part of that.”

Ickybaluky
03-11-2004, 06:38 AM
The Cincy papers also discuss a possible Vincent signing by the Bengals:

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2004/03/11/bengals11.html

http://www.cincypost.com/bengals/2004/beng03-11-2004.html

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2004, 08:26 AM
I don't have a problem with Vincent taking his time, because when/if he signs with us we'll know that he's weighed all his options and considered us the best option and that he wants to be here.

If he doesn't really want to be here but we "bribed" him into it, he won't be happy and I don't want him anyway.

Gunzlingr
03-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I don't have a problem with Vincent taking his time, because when/if he signs with us we'll know that he's weighed all his options and considered us the best option and that he wants to be here.

If he doesn't really want to be here but we "bribed" him into it, he won't be happy and I don't want him anyway.

I am impressed by his keeping his word and visiting the teams he promised to see. If he doesn't come here, so be it. If he does, I feel the same way you do MM - that he must want to be here.

Devin
03-11-2004, 09:04 AM
not me im bitter and petty.