PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Season will Bledsoe Have?

Halbert
03-11-2004, 10:17 AM
The debate has been furious (ad nauseum?) and the seas have parted regarding where we think Drew is as a NFL quarterback. We have a pretty good sense anecdotally where each of us stands, but let’s make it official so we have a single place of reference to, well, refer to.

State your position and we’ll review this thread periodically to see who was right/wrong. Of course we’ll ridicule the homers/infidels mercilessly, including banishment to the Gary Marangi/Rob Johnson Hall of Shame.

Halbert
03-11-2004, 10:19 AM
I’ll go first:

I’ll put my miraculously infallible record of 2003 guarantees on the line and guarantee Bledsoe will have a strong 2004 season, ending up in the top 10 or very close to it.

My prediction is based on:

- Drew’s maturity as an NFL QB as a strong base to build from
- TD’s commitment to fix the line via free agency
- McNally will maximize talent and drastically improve pathetic pass protection
- Potentially the best 1-2 RB punch in the league puts the Bills in advantageous second and third down positions
- MM’s alleged real-this-time commitment to a run oriented attack puts pressure on opposing secondaries
- A healthy Moulds
- Reed arrives in his third season as a reliable triple threat
- Drew responded well to being under fire in 2002 and will again refocus his efforts
- The tutelage of a highly overqualified Wyche
- Mularkey and Clement’s history of resurrecting struggling QB’s with much less to start with
- A stout defense keeps Bledsoe from having to force plays/hold onto ball

Dozerdog
03-11-2004, 10:21 AM
I think Bledsoe wil finish in the 50-75 percentile of QBs in the league- somewhere between 12th and 16th

He won't have monster numbers based on the offense we are running. But he won't be putrid.

mikedd74
03-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Last season was a fluke he is not as bad and suffered his worst pro year ever. Gilbride is known to have ruined offenses....Oilers, Steelers, Bills... I say he will be better and throw for 24 TDS 15 INTS SACKS 35

Alluro
03-11-2004, 10:24 AM
I say he is washed up. I hope this big ben rumor is true

Patrick76777
03-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Well he's the man we're going with this year! So I think we should all be saying Hopefully he bounces back. Anybody who doesn't just wants him to play bad so they're right! But they'll say they hope he plays bad so we replace him! Which doesn't make sense because if he does come back and play well, we wouldn't need to replace him!

I think he'll do well!

Hermanator21
03-11-2004, 10:34 AM
With out Gilbride calling the plays, and with a better Oline I predict Drew having a good year. Nothing great nothing terrible(like last year).The less we put on Bledsoe and the more we put it on Travis, the better our chances ate of getting a "W".
reciepe for victory
Drew Bledsoe---12-19--175yds--1td--0int
Travis Henry-----27 carries---155yds--2td
Willis----8 carries------50 yds----1td

ryven
03-11-2004, 10:37 AM
I put top 10 because of Mcnally(sp?) hopefully with him around Drew can get some more time back there.

MTBillsFan
03-11-2004, 10:53 AM
I guess I still believe Bledsoe will lead us to the promise land. With a new o-line and a better offensive co. I think he'll be back to his prime! He showed glimpses this past season when the o-line was actually playing decent. So really, it comes down to how good is the o-line going to preform?

BigZ
03-11-2004, 11:29 AM
I agree on him being top 10.

I think he'll still have a lot of passes, but this year they'll be mostly short ones unless the receiver breaks tackles.

The emphasis will be on him getting rid of the ball quickly with a resurgence in the slant from the tight ends and and Reed (which he excelled at in 2002).

The O line will be run blocking and with a (prediction) good running game the play fake can open up the longer pass once in a while.

The Natrix
03-11-2004, 11:31 AM
I said below average to weak.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be better. It isn't possible for him to regress further. Drew has already hit rock bottom.

Bert102176
03-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I voted below average/week, BUT
it depends on 3 things
1) how the OL holds up
2) how much we run the Ball
3) if we get another speed WR

Novacane
03-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Average to weak, He'd have to be trying to suck to be worse than last year.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
I am hoping average to decent

SABURZFAN
03-11-2004, 02:36 PM
it's still too early to tell.we need to add an OL,a TE,and a WR.if we do that,bledsoe shouldn't have any excuses to be horrible like he was last year.

Philagape
03-11-2004, 04:21 PM
I voted Average to Decent.
The thing is, he didn't just have a bad year last year; it was the worst of his career (except for his rookie year). Meaning, it was bad even for him. Meaning, there were other factors involved -- injuries on offense and horrid play calling.
I judge him based on what he is capable of, and he's capable of being pretty good.

saviorbledsoe
03-11-2004, 04:32 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My brotheren cometh forth! Top 10 baby.

StanMarino13
03-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Only one way to go from last year so i'll say decent.

Mr. Cynical
03-11-2004, 10:46 PM
I really do think he is done. He missed too many easy throws last year to give me any faith that he can still do it. Add that to the fact his career numbers are:

1. 4 INTS for every 5 TDs
2. 15-to-1 attempts to sacks
3. 57% completion percentage (only hit 60-61% 3 times in his career...rest were in the 50s)
4. .500 career average

So I see absolutely NO reason why he should all of a sudden put together an entire season. He will play maybe 4-5 good games and the rest he will struggle. If he is the starter for all 16 games, we will end up 8-8 at best. However, if we sign a Volek-type, my bet is that Drew will get cut in November to save the $$$ and the backup will play out the season.

shelby
03-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Excellent post, Hal.:up:

i think Bledsoe will be average. Commitment to the running game is exactly what this team needs.

Ð
03-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
We have a pretty good sense anecdotally where each of us stands....

I think I rented that video once....

Anecdotal Vixens

Historian
03-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Put me in the "Gilbride was half the problem" group. He should rebound and have a halfway decent year.

Halbert
03-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by kal123
I really do think he is done. He missed too many easy throws last year to give me any faith that he can still do it. Add that to the fact his career numbers are:

1. 4 INTS for every 5 TDs
2. 15-to-1 attempts to sacks
3. 57% completion percentage (only hit 60-61% 3 times in his career...rest were in the 50s)
4. .500 career average

So I see absolutely NO reason why he should all of a sudden put together an entire season. He will play maybe 4-5 good games and the rest he will struggle. If he is the starter for all 16 games, we will end up 8-8 at best. However, if we sign a Volek-type, my bet is that Drew will get cut in November to save the $$$ and the backup will play out the season.
Ah, a specific, well articulated and bold prediction of Drew's demise. I like it.

If you are correct I will salute you. What the heck, I already have the permanent stain of my RJ Probowl and NE collapse egg on my face, the Drew-berry pie wouldn't hardly be noticeable.

Mr. Cynical
03-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Disclaimer: Of course, if McGahee turns out to be the next coming of Faulk/Sanders, we'll end up in the playoffs no matter how badly Drew plays.
:couch:

But I still stand by my Drew prediction above. He is done and he won't be able to adapt to a run-first offense, nor will he be consistent with his own play. 4-5 good games at best....that's it.

P.S. Don't feel to badly about RJ. I got sucked into that whole mess as well. :baghead:

pats-were-right
03-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mikedd74
Last season was a fluke he is not as bad and suffered his worst pro year ever. Gilbride is known to have ruined offenses....Oilers, Steelers, Bills... I say he will be better and throw for 24 TDS 15 INTS SACKS 35

oh, you might wanna check the numbers on that.

Drew’s maturity as an NFL QB as a strong base to build from

:lolcry:

Halbert
03-15-2004, 10:49 AM
There are some prominent opinions conspicuous in their absence, so just for grins I went back and compiled what I think are some typical comments indicative of an individual’s position on the topic. I tried to weed out emotional posts and include only arguments with some base of logic in them, but please feel free to clarify if I missed something or took it out of context. Sorry if I missed anybody.

There is some very good points made by the critics that are compelling enough to remind us Drew may indeed by washed up. I still believe the factors for his rebound are all lined up, however, and more likely than not he will take advantage of them.

Originally posted by TedMock
The problem with the whole "he doesn't know how to dump it off" argument is that it completely contradicts his best years. Remember Ben Coates and Keith Byars? He made his name throwing to a TE and a FB for god's sake. He got gun-shy by the 4th game last season and never recovered resulting in a horrible year. No doubt about it. Yes, he held the ball too long at times and yes he made stupid throws at times but to put most of the blame on one person is pure ignorance to the game itself. I've seen others put full blame on the OL.......again, ignorance. If Bledsoe looks terrible this year in an offense that SHOULD suit his strengths then by all means get rid of him. In my opinion, he and the OL needed to get better but the playcalling made it very difficult. 5 guys in to block the 7 or 8 rushing. The QB get's 1.3 seconds to throw on several downs while the FB, HB and TE's are all out in pattern. Well, of course he should've dumped it off. The problem is when you can't even get your head around to see the outlet, it's kind of tough to dump it off. The guy got crushed quite a few times. So what happens? There are then other plays where he actually has time to throw (too much time) and get uneasy in the pocket and looks stupid. That's all on him. What if, for the first time in his career, he's able to really expose what he's good at and hide his weaknesses? He's slow, immobile and get's uncomfortable in the pocket if there too long. He has a great arm, great release and great play action. Looking at basic strengths and weaknesses, would you split Sam Gash out wide on 3rd and short? We did, several times during the year. We also took our starting RB out in those same situations and never did we even think about max protect. I think he's overrated, no doubt about it. But I also don't buy into the "he's a bum" theory either.

Originally posted by BillsFever
Yeah it's funny when everyone brings up "one bad year". I guess they forgot about the 2nd half of the 2002 season, and 6 of the 9 years he was pathetic in New England too.

Bledsoe is finished. We need to dump him and pick up an extra 5+ million in cap room next year. It looks like Donahoe is too stubborn though.

It seems like almost every NFL guy thinks Bledsoe is finished except the people in charge of our team.

He should just hang it up. He can't play anymore and when you start questioning your own abilities the time has come.

If Brady learned from Bledsoe, then I guess he taught him how to get sacked, how to fumble, how to throw the ball away on 4th down, how to stand in one place and lock on one receiver till he gets sacked, how to throw interceptions, and how to crumble against good teams on the road.

Funny all the stars of the NFL and HOF's all have good numbers for their career. I'm not talking about pass attempts and passing yards. I'm talking about TD-TO ratio and wins. Unfortunately the only thing Bledsoe has is the pass attempts and passing yards.

Originally posted by helmetguy
I could give a crap if he doesn't do "statistically well" in any game...as long as we win. He can't "win it all" alone, as no QB ever could; nor ever will, for that matter. By the same token, any HC or OC who even leaves it all to the QB to do it all ought to be punched, Buddy Ryan style. Predictable play calling, failure of the OC to use the tools available to him, and an O-line that often looked like seven blocks of Silly Putty. The fact that the offense couldn't score a TD in some seven games DOES indicate the offensive problems were, by far, more a systemic problem than just one guy's inability to single-handedly win games in the consummate team sport.

Even if Bledsoe IS average, we can win with him. I don't want to minimize his shortcomings, nor could I give a crap about individual stats. In Bledsoe's defense, however, you all must admit that he was a QB in a system that did not befit ANY of the talents of ANY of the players who were expected to execute it. That is, any system that takes a Sam Gash/Travis Henry of the field in down-and short/down and goal situations in favor of an obvious (not to mention ill-conceived, unimaginative, and inflexible) passing "package" is inherently flawed.

The list goes on and on. We do not need Bledsoe to throw the ball 40 times a game, any more than we need ANY QB to throw it 40 times a game. I guarantee you, Mularkey recognizes this, just as he did with Stewart and Maddox. Bledsoe will be functional until the "QB of the future" (whomever that might be) is ready to take the reins.

Originally posted by Alluro
One bad year? half of his entire career has been "one bad year." His career qb rating is lower than jay fiedler's. He has a losing career record. He has been sacked more than any other qb over the past 10 years. One bad year? Hardly

I am SOOOO enraged at Donahoe's decision to bring back this bum that i've already given up on next season. Hell, Willis McGahee could be the second coming of Walter Payton, rush for 2000 yds, and I know that Drew Bledsoe will find a way to steal defeat from the jaws of victory in the playoffs. That's just his MO, the bigger the game, the worse he plays. This team HAS ZERO CHANCE of winning the superbowl with drew behind center...ZERO

It's not that Bledsoe had a down year, as he clearly did, there's no debating that. It's that for half of the guys career he's been having a down year(93, 95, 99, 00, 03..and arguably 94 and 98). ...I can understand a down season, but his career qb rating is 76.7. In simple terms, he just a vastly overrated commodity, and one who will not lead us to a superbowl win.

If his turnover to TD ratio, or more importanly his WIN ratio is not important, what standard should we use? HE HAS A LOSING CAREER RECORD. HE HAS A LOSING RECORD AS A BILL. HE IS A LOSER. WHAT STAT IS MORE IMPORTANT?

Originally posted by Tatonka
i like winners.. and bledsoe is not one.. if he could actually win, then i would like him.. whoever they bring in next, if they win.. then i will like him.. if he doesnt... then i will use my american right to ***** about him until he is removed and replaced with someone that can do the job.

so being horrible for 2 years hasnt been enough to convince you huh? he had a good 6 games in 2002.. then it has been downhill since then.. the offense has to be on of the worst in history over the last 26 games.. and bledsoe is the center of all the problems.

perfect.. lets draft a guy thats just like the **** we got right now... fantastic.. hell.. lets give up another 1st rounder for a guy that is worthless... we have done it with rob johnson and drew bledsoe.. mine as well go 3 for 3.

it stings to hear it, but it is so true.. the guy is not a winner and has never won against tough competition when anything was on the line.. and i dare anyone to show me otherwise..

you can form no arguement of any kind to say that bledsoe has done anything positive in buffalo.. he has won games against horrible defenses and lost all the clutch games we needed him to perform well in.. and his numbers and w/l record are all horrible... and to think that we are paying this POS qb 6 million a year is just ****** ridiculous.. any qb in the league.. ANY QB THAT IS IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE RIGHT NOW could have put up 11 tds in a whole season.. and alot of them could have done it with alot less than 20+ friggen turnovers..

Halbert
03-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Whoops, Alluro did comment in this thread already. Strike that one.

helmetguy
03-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks for finding that quote, Hal. For the record, I voted "average to decent." I'll give you my proxy to post that quote whenever the "Dump Drew" droning starts up.

Halbert
03-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I find it interesting that right now exactly the same percentage thinks he'll be a ProBowler or that he's completely washed up.

Morgoth
03-15-2004, 12:04 PM
If I was a betting man I'd stay clear of this one. I hope he's awesome, I'll take mediocre. It got to the point last year when I could call a turnover. Do I think it was a system problem, sure why not. Does a savy veteran QB force as many throws as Bledsoe did last year, no. Can a system be blamed for a QB fumbling so frequently, no. I will not wish him to crash and burn or to be traded away but I am pessimistic.

Philly Zoner
03-15-2004, 12:19 PM
I’ll go first:

I’ll put my miraculously infallible record of 2003 guarantees on the line and guarantee Bledsoe will have a strong 2004 season, ending up in the top 10 or very close to it.

- Potentially the best 1-2 RB punch in the league puts the Bills in advantageous second and third down positions
- MM’s alleged real-this-time commitment to a run oriented attack puts pressure on opposing secondaries
- A healthy Moulds
- Drew responded well to being under fire in 2002 and will again refocus his efforts
- Mularkey and Clement’s history of resurrecting struggling QB’s with much less to start with

I think you got it right. however, a couple of these are variables; primarily, I'm still worried that TD won't be able to deliver the O-line he's promsiing MM. but frankly, one more FA or a lucky draft pick and it could be very respectable. I think Villarial was a step up from Rueben (but God Bless ol Rueben anyway) and therefore we already should be in better shape than last year--especially with McNally at the helm.

I don't think it's unrealistic to find an interior lineman in the 2nd round of the draft that can play better than Teague or Ross Tucker--ideally we grab a center smart enough to develop quick so we can release Teague. if, say, we draft Jake Grove in the 2nd and he can pans out like he should, then we could likely get by with a Ross Tucker at LG. bottom line is, our O-line should already be better with the replacement of Villarial for Rueben and the coaching of McNally and TD may still improve it at reasonable cost thru the draft.

My bigger point is, with some luck filling out our OL, then the assumptions you're making are pretty realistic. I think that Bledsoe will be enough quarterback for us this year and should finish somewhere near the bottom of the top ten/top of the decent category.

elltrain22
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
He better do well, otherwise, he is gonna sit.

Halbert
03-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Philly Zoner
I don't think it's unrealistic to find an interior lineman in the 2nd round of the draft that can play better than Teague or Ross Tucker--ideally we grab a center smart enough to develop quick so we can release Teague. if, say, we draft Jake Grove in the 2nd and he can pans out like he should, then we could likely get by with a Ross Tucker at LG. bottom line is, our O-line should already be better with the replacement of Villarial for Rueben and the coaching of McNally and TD may still improve it at reasonable cost thru the draft.
I was pretty surprised they committed to Teague the way they did. Perhaps they like his versatility to play any line position, but as a starting center he appears to be a little weak. There should be several FA's to choose from after June 1 so perhaps TD plans to address it then.

In any event, the Bills are light years better off with McNally. The last two OL coaches were very green so the performance of that unit should see significant improvement by default this season.

dolfan25
03-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Based on this vote this site seems to be filled with unrealistic homers. Not many QB's get better after their 11th year in the league. I think he's on the downward spiral. He'll have a few good games but I think the whole NFL knows how to confuse him now. Even with Gilbride factor taken into account there is no way a veteran QB who was once a superstar should struggle like Drew did last year.

Defending Bledsoe seems to be as easy as jam receivers at the LOS and bring pressure up the middle. He has never been able to adjust to this. Really he hasn't been the same since Curtis Martin left the Patriots. The only hope is McGahee or Henry have a huge season next year.

Fryin' The Fish
03-18-2004, 03:56 PM
hes old, washed up and over the mountain. he is past his prime and all he can do now his train a young QB. get rid of him, hes cost too much money.

Halbert
03-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by dolfan25
Not many QB's get better after their 11th year in the league. I think he's on the downward spiral.
Plenty of QB’s surge in production at the end of their careers:

Rich Gannon
Steve Beuerlein
Chris Chandler
Vinny Testaverde
Randall Cunningham

Even with Gilbride factor taken into account there is no way a veteran QB who was once a superstar should struggle like Drew did last year.

He appeared pretty pitiful much of the time. It’s possible that’s all on his own shoulders but I believe it’s much more likely that the system caused most of that. It appeared obvious the entire passing game was broken and the players had given up on it by midseason. I expect a huge improvement in the overall system this season, giving Drew no excuses so that question should be answered quite definitively.

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I said below average to weak.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be better. It isn't possible for him to regress further. Drew has already hit rock bottom.

i agree.. he cant be worse than last year.. can he?? :eek:

i will say below average to weak..

i will also say this.. i like drew.. as a teammate/person.. he stands up and says he sucks after most games.. like he should.. the only thing i dislike about him is his play..

it really is amazing how many people have blind faith in this guy though and think that he is gonna be a probowl/top 10 guy.. considering he has only been worthy of that one year out of 11.. lol.

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
i also will be rooting for bledsoe to do well.. i could really give a **** about being right or wrong.. if the bills are winning.. i am a happy camper.. when their not.. things suck.. if drew leads us to a superbowl.. i will be the first guy in line to say "WOW!! I WAS SO WRONG>> DREW IS THE MAN!"... but i just dont see it happening.. but will root for whoever is our qb, none the less.

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 11:30 AM
i also will be rooting for bledsoe to do well.. i could really give a **** about being right or wrong.. if the bills are winning.. i am a happy camper.. when their not.. things suck.. if drew leads us to a superbowl.. i will be the first guy in line to say "WOW!! I WAS SO WRONG>> DREW IS THE MAN!"... but i just dont see it happening.. but will root for whoever is our qb, none the less.

Perfect just leave it at that until the season starts.:dink:

Halbert
03-19-2004, 11:38 AM
I guess I screwed up my own poll because I see him more like about 11-12th in the league and I didn't really have a category for that.

My confidence in his ability to rebound is about 75% due to confidence in McNally, Wyche, Mularkey, Reed, MaGahee, and Gray. My view of Drew as the second coming of Jim Kelly evaporated around mid-season because I agree that any elite QB would lead the team to more than 0 TD's in six games in any system. I just believe there's a lot of QB's that could toss 24 TD's with only a handful of turnovers is what looks to be a very QB friendly system. Drew is more than adequate for that scenario.

Ebenezer
03-19-2004, 11:41 AM
I am a Bills fan...no matter who starts on want them to get:

5000 yds passing
32 TD
8 Ints
12-4 season...

too many others want him to fail just to be proved correct.

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I am a Bills fan...no matter who starts on want them to get:

5000 yds passing
32 TD
8 Ints
12-4 season...

Exactly how I feel!:up::beer:

Novacane
03-19-2004, 11:50 AM

Yep........................i would just love to see us go 6-10 again so I can say I told you so. How stupid.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MDFINFAN
03-19-2004, 01:15 PM
I think this thread's question can be answer with...How good of an OL you guys have...Drew, like Jay Fielder are products of their OL, if both have OL that give them time, they are effective, Drew more so because he has a better arm..If the OL allows strong rushes and not too much time, they both throw int's..even though Jay has the advantage of being able to run out spots like this more than Drew. Bottom,.....Check how well the OL is playing to get a read on how well your QB will play..

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I think this thread's question can be answer with...How good of an OL you guys have...Drew, like Jay Fielder are products of their OL, if both have OL that give them time, they are effective, Drew more so because he has a better arm..If the OL allows strong rushes and not too much time, they both throw int's..even though Jay has the advantage of being able to run out spots like this more than Drew. Bottom,.....Check how well the OL is playing to get a read on how well your QB will play..

Agreed. However, the thing that many of use are upset with is his cost. At $6M+ (and I think closer to $13M if they keep him), he shouldn't need a "great" OL. So the question really is, if we are hoping/trying for a better OL, why not save millions and get a "standard" QB?

And to be honest, he has had good OLs in the past and still was not consistent. But that's another :deadhorse:

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 02:29 PM
the Drew-berry pie wouldn't hardly be noticeable.

:rofl:

Whoops, Alluro did comment in this thread already. Strike that one.

for the record.. i said he will be below average, not completely washed up.. because he cant get worse than last year.. i hope.. :eek:

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 02:32 PM

come on EB.. that is friggen crazy..

tell me ONE person that would be happy about the team being horrible and bledsoe failing.. as opposed to seeing the bills win a SB w/ bledsoe leading them to the promise land.. name just one person..

IF you actually got enjoyment out of seeing drew play bad and the team losing, then your not a fan. your simply a critic.

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 02:34 PM
there is a BIG difference between WANTING bledsoe and the bills to do poorly, and PREDICTING he/they will do poorly.

one has nothing to do with the other..

a dolfins fan WANTS us to fail..

a realistic fan can PREDICT that bledsoe will cause us to fail.

Halbert
03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
It's about time somebody noticed the Drew-berry pie joke ...

Halbert
03-19-2004, 03:00 PM
However, the thing that many of use are upset with is his cost. At $6M+ (and I think closer to $13M if they keep him), he shouldn't need a "great" OL. So the question really is, if we are hoping/trying for a better OL, why not save millions and get a "standard" QB?

And to be honest, he has had good OLs in the past and still was not consistent. But that's another :deadhorse:
I keep coming back to guys like Manning and Warner, among others. Those guys are statues yet they get (or got, in Warner's example) great OL play that allow their reading defense skills and big arms to make big plays. Bledsoe is no Manning but he's in that mold and could be quite effective behind a great line like the Colts'. IOW, try putting Manning behind that pass blocking sieve the Bills fielded last season and his production would be cut in half.

I also see that whenever he's had good OL play and a legitimate running threat he's performed well. He did not have that for his last few seasons in NE or almost all of last year. The only time he did was the last half of 2002 where he performed a little below average. While that is a concern, every QB has periods like that so perhaps it was or wasn't indicative of his abilities overall.

Assuming McNally can get at least average performance out of the OL, the offense around Drew will be plenty good enough to allow him to play to his strengths. If he has another poor season I'll readily admit he's washed up. I just don't think that's the case.

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I keep coming back to guys like Manning and Warner, among others. Those guys are statues yet they get (or got, in Warner's example) great OL play that allow their reading defense skills and big arms to make big plays. Bledsoe is no Manning but he's in that mold and could be quite effective behind a great line like the Colts'. IOW, try putting Manning behind that pass blocking sieve the Bills fielded last season and his production would be cut in half.

I also see that whenever he's had good OL play and a legitimate running threat he's performed well. He did not have that for his last few seasons in NE or almost all of last year. The only time he did was the last half of 2002 where he performed a little below average. While that is a concern, every QB has periods like that so perhaps it was or wasn't indicative of his abilities overall.

Assuming McNally can get at least average performance out of the OL, the offense around Drew will be plenty good enough to allow him to play to his strengths. If he has another poor season I'll readily admit he's washed up. I just don't think that's the case.

I think if you look at Manning and how quickly he reads the D, and how quickly he makes decisions, you'll see that Drew really is not in the same category. Seriously, I have seen him in many situations where he had time to throw the ball (in NE and Buffalo) and just couldn't execute....he looked around aimlessly and either he threw an INT or made a bad toss into the air. I know this also reflects poor offensive schemes, but again we're talking about 11 years, not just 2.

Next time you watch Drew, focus on his body gestures. He just never has (or had) that commanding form of an elite QB who "wills" the play to happen. If we all can agree that Drew is not an elite QB, then we can judge him from a different set of standards. But that also means he needs to make half of what he is making, because right now he is making "elite" money and that should not continue.

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 05:07 PM
If we all can agree that Drew is not an elite QB, then we can judge him from a different set of standards. But that also means he needs to make half of what he is making, because right now he is making "elite" money and that should not continue.

god.. that was so well put.

The_Philster
03-19-2004, 06:04 PM
god.. that was so well put.

agreed. :up:

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 06:30 PM
:D

Halbert
04-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Adding Losman is another reason why I expect Drew to bounce back. Having a high profile rookie QB will help put a bit of pressure on Bledsoe. Even an old coot like him can lose a bit of an edge when there's nobody behind you who could realistically take your job.

RedEyE
04-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I think Bledsoe wil finish in the 50-75 percentile of QBs in the league- somewhere between 12th and 16th

He won't have monster numbers based on the offense we are running. But he won't be putrid.

Very well stated. :up: I agree 100%.

RedEyE
04-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Although it's difficult to guess at this particular time, I think the offense Buffalo will present this year will be much more conservative than Gilbride's street football mentality. Rather than having 3 or 4 wide outs simply running patterns and Bledsoe finding the open man, I think the Bills will designate passing assignments this year. Drew will be forced to utilize the quick realease and will be given less opportunity to think. He'll also have plenty of passing options within close proximity now and the RB's will finally give us the other dimension we've lacked in previous seasons under a Williams reign.

This should be the style offense Bledsoe is equiped for. The style of offense most of screamed for last year. Recieving TE's flying patterns between Drew's blinders.....quick WR's blasting posts and flys, RB's to assist him in those crucial "dump off" situations and blocking, and his work horse Moulds controlling and mandating the field as he always does.

As long as this line comes together, I really do not see how Drew could screw this up.

Halbert
05-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Membership in the "I Guarantee Bledsoe Will Have A Rebound Season" bandwagon is skyrocketing. Get your seat before they're gone. Hurry, there's only 999,997 left!

finsrclowns
05-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Membership in the "I Guarantee Bledsoe Will Have A Rebound Season" bandwagon is skyrocketing. Get your seat before they're gone. Hurry, there's only 999,997 left!

Make that 999,996!

buffmaniac
05-02-2004, 07:53 PM
3500yds 60%comp. 24TDs 10INTs

A very solid season possibly including the Pro Bowl. I think alot of Bledsoe haters are going to be proven wrong this year. But I'm sure they won't care because the Bills will be winning.

mykiljonz
05-03-2004, 12:12 AM
I think alot of Bledsoe haters are going to be proven wrong this year. But I'm sure they won't care because the Bills will be winning.

Could you please in your almighty wisdom define "Bledsoe haters"?

I have never personally spent any time with him, so I cannot "love" nor "hate" him.

I am a fan of the BILLS, not an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER. In this day and age, it is VERY hard to be both, since most players will NOT play their entire careers with one team.

Did I give a crap about Bledsoe when he played for NE, no.
Do I want him to win and succeed since he is the QB for my Bills. yes
If/when he goes to another team will I give a crap about him again? No.

I think you confuse being a BILLS FAN and being a BLEDSOE FAN.
While you MAY be both, you do not have to be. How many people who ride Drew's jock so hard will be here after he is gone? How many of these "Bills fans" cared about the Bills when Drew was in NE?

Maybe instead of calling people "Bledsoe haters", you can call them "non Bledsoe cultists". Or an even funnier idea, call them Bills fans.

STAMPY
05-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by mykiljonz

I have never personally spent any time with him, so I cannot "love" nor "hate" him.

I am a fan of the BILLS, not an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER. In this day and age, it is VERY hard to be both, since most players will NOT play their entire careers with one team.

While you MAY be both, you do not have to be. How many people who ride Drew's jock so hard will be here after he is gone? How many of these "Bills fans" cared about the Bills when Drew was in NE?

Maybe instead of calling people "Bledsoe haters", you can call them "non Bledsoe cultists". Or an even funnier idea, call them Bills fans.

great post :up:

CWOUSARET
05-03-2004, 12:57 AM
ok guys - football 101 again - you all should really take notes this time - get out your pens and paper - his season will be as good as the offensive line play - why? - BECAUSE EVERYTHING BEGINS AND ENDS WITH THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Philster
05-03-2004, 04:59 AM

The haters are the ones who think that Kordell Stewart is better than Drew...because even though Kordell made a big improvement going from Gilbride to Mularkey, Drew has virtually no chance of doing the same. Common sense is blinded by hatred.

buffmaniac
05-03-2004, 12:06 PM

Yikes! Relax. I know we are all Bills fans and I know we all want Drew to succeed. But the fact is that some people believe Drew can still play and some people don't. I use the term "Bledsoe Hater" "Bledsoe Doubter" "Anti-Drew" or whatever simply as a way to categorize those who do not believe that Drew will be successful this year.

And like I said I think that the (Fill in whatever term you want) will be proven wrong this year after Drew has a good season.

Go Bills!

Novacane
05-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

The haters are the ones who think that Kordell Stewart is better than Drew...

Every time you post that I ask you to please name the posters that think Kordell Stewart is better than Drew Bledsoe. You never respond. Could that be because no one has said that. I really wish you would stop making things up.

The_Philster
05-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Every time you post that I ask you to please name the posters that think Kordell Stewart is better than Drew Bledsoe. You never respond. Could that be because no one has said that. I really wish you would stop making things up.

Hey..anyone who thinks that Drew can't be improved must be thinking Kordell is better. :cynic:

Halbert
05-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Membership ranks are swelling like some horrific jungle disease. Our voice will be heard. We're in negotiations with the Bills front office to have our own IGBWHARS luxury box. Right now the sticking point it they want us to pay $100,000 and we have no money so we want it free. I can tell by their nervous laugh that they're on the verge of caving, though.

Tex
05-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Bledsoe is the classic pocket QB. He will only be as good as his OL. If he has to depend 3 step drops and and quick reads, he will have the same year as last. Bledsoe biggest problem threw his whole career is he just take to long to read the feild and depends on his arm to get him out of trouble.

Novacane
05-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Hey..anyone who thinks that Drew can't be improved must be thinking Kordell is better. :cynic:

Thats putting words in peoples mouths. I don't think anyone here wants Stewart starting over Bledsoe.

Novacane
05-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Average to weak, He'd have to be trying to suck to be worse than last year.

I'm changing my vote to average to decent. I think he was so frustrated with KG's system toward the end of the year that he just gave up. A fresh start should help him.

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-04-2004, 05:11 PM

Thats putting words in peoples mouths. I don't think anyone here wants Stewart starting over Bledsoe.

I don't want Kordell over Bledsoe :D

The_Philster
05-04-2004, 06:54 PM

no...just drawing a implication from what some people are saying
I'm changing my vote to average to decent. I think he was so frustrated with KG's system toward the end of the year that he just gave up. A fresh start should help him.
and this post right here shows you aren't one of them. A fresh start is just what Kordell got and it worked wonders for a season. :up:

Halbert
07-19-2004, 02:49 PM
A reminder ...

saviorbledsoe
07-19-2004, 04:49 PM
A reminder ...

god you must be bored. i feel sorry for you.

Typ0
07-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Here is Drews recipe for success. He's getting older and wiser. He knows he can't put everything on his shoulders and he knows he can throw a darn good ball given the opportunity...he also knows he's going to try and make the hard throws all the time and get burned sometimes. So he's going to go back to the bread and butter and work hard to build the running attack that is now going to be available to him. Once that is done in a game he should be able to have an above average season with top five numbers due to two strong backs who can catch the ball and his maintaining a good deep threat.

However, we have yet to see that our offensive line does anything but suck for the past several years...unless they get it together it's going to be another 3 and 13 season.

socalfan
07-19-2004, 10:30 PM
I agree the offensive line will have a lot to do with how the Bills' season turns out.

But the good part about the Drew's training so far is that the coaches have put a clock on him, exactly the way Parcells did. So hopefully they will retrain him to get rid of the ball quicker.

Kramer
07-20-2004, 08:40 AM
I’ll go first:

- A healthy Moulds

Halbert. I originally voted that Bledsoe will have a mediocre season but after reading this highly intelligent post you have made me start to rethink my position. Good Post!

Halbert
09-05-2004, 06:13 PM
As Drew continues to improve and impress, this thread should prove ... oh how shall we say, entertaining. I only WISH we had the feature to show who voted what back then.

lol.

HenryRules
09-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Funny ... reading over it, about 1/4-1/3 of the posts in this thread seem to take it for granted that the Bills would be improving the OL this offseason. Wonder how many still feel that way?

With our 5 mil in the bank and it looking less likely that we'll extend any of the 3 main FA's next year, I think we could have upped our offer for Woody a bit more.

FTG
11-15-2004, 08:23 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My brotheren cometh forth! Top 10 baby.

Where or where has saviorbledsoe gone, oh where oh where can he be :D

FTG
11-15-2004, 08:26 PM
As Drew continues to improve and impress, this thread should prove ... oh how shall we say, entertaining. I only WISH we had the feature to show who voted what back then.

lol.

ah shucks :D

BillsFever21
11-15-2004, 08:28 PM
ah shucks :D
I was just gonna quote this thread. :(

FTG
11-15-2004, 08:32 PM

:snicker: I even said average to decent. I was speaking with my heart instead of my head

BillsFever21
11-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Make that Halbert's post and not the thread.

The Natrix
11-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Drew has already hit rock bottom.

I was wrong. He's digressed even further. :ill:

Mr. Cynical
11-16-2004, 01:56 AM
I wish we could see who voted for what. To my surprise, I actually voted Below Average to Weak. I must have been slipping into the DLC that day. :doh:

Jayhawk
11-16-2004, 06:39 AM
I’ll go first:

- A healthy Moulds
wow, this is why predictions are sometimes off