PDA

View Full Version : Just say NO to a Quarterback in the 1st round!

Michael82
03-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I've been thinking about this, after seeing all the mock drafts about getting Big Ben or Phil Rivers. I say NO to both! Remember all the complaints about drafting Willis McGahee last year? People said that it made zero sense, because we should've gotten someone who would make an immediate impact. Well, I'm thinking the same thing about quarterback. We already know that the coaching staff LOVES Bledsoe and if they fix him, he will be the starter for a couple more years. Why draft a player in the 1st round with such a high pick, that is going to sit on the bench for at least 1 year? Big Ben played against mediocre teams and will need time to develop. Rivers is young and looks good, but he also needs a year or two to develop. There are going to be some damn good players available to us that will help us immediately! (Some of these will be available....Mike Williams, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Kenechi Udeze, Kellen Winslow Jr., Tommie Harris, Chris Gamble, Vince Wilfork, Shawn Andrews) Or the Bills could try to trade down and get some other top players (Vernon Carey, Lee Evans, Ben Watson, Jake Grove, Rashaun Woods, Michael Clayton, or Will Poole), plus an extra draft pick or two. I know that many of you will disagree with me, but just think about it. Besides, when is the last time that a 1st round quarterback took his team to the Super Bowl? The last few years, the QBs were late round QBs or undrafted. Plus, you can still pick a solid quarterback of the future in the 2nd or 3rd round (JP Losman, Matt Schaub, Josh Harris, Cody Pickett, or even Drew Henson). Why not draft an impact guy in the 1st and then go after a QB later? Does a QB in the 1st really make sense? I don't think so!

:feedback:

Devin
03-11-2004, 01:59 PM
ultimatley will depend on whos avail, but im abig fan of rivers, see part of the "prob" is while its not an immediate need the QB class is quite good this year, and with the very real possibility of trading/releasing drew next year it is a an area that needs to be addressed, locking away a future QB for 5-6 years is a very tempting shiny toy.

I totally agree we have other areas that need addressing, but i think drafting our future leader could be a priority. Not to mention TD absolutley loves this kid.

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Devin
ultimatley will depend on whos avail, but im abig fan of rivers, see part of the "prob" is while its not an immediate need the QB class is quite good this year, and with the very real possibility of trading/releasing drew next year it is a an area that needs to be addressed, locking away a future QB for 5-6 years is a very tempting shiny toy.

I totally agree we have other areas that need addressing, but i think drafting our future leader could be a priority. Not to mention TD absolutley loves this kid.

He says he loves him. TD never tells us who he really likes and who he doesn't. Haven't you learned the lesson yet? I bet he is doing all this Rivers and Big Ben stuff to trick people and then he'll take a CB or WR. :snicker:

texasphinsfan
03-11-2004, 02:05 PM
i agree, you don't need a QB.... you need an OL and WR! :)

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by texasphinsfan

I would LOVE Shawn Andrews to fall down to us or the Bills to trade down and grab Vernon Carey and a 2nd rounder, or Jake Grove and a 2nd rounder. That would be sweet! :up:

Devin
03-11-2004, 02:10 PM
well while i doubt anything would surprise me, maybe dissapoint butnot surprise, i still think QB should be the pick. No telling though.

mikedd74
03-11-2004, 02:10 PM
It could happen that we do trade down due to it being a very deep draft this year, Also can improve many needed areas WR is still a need CB, OL, maybe another DE. I say he might trade the pick 13 move down and pick up another 2nd rounder like he did in 2001 when we picked up Travis Henry in the second round. It could happen!!!

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
I have been driving this car for weeks.

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:14 PM
well while i doubt anything would surprise me, maybe dissapoint butnot surprise, i still think QB should be the pick. No telling though.

I disagree. I feel that if one of the Williams Trio is there, Donahoe should and probably will snatch them, especially if it's Roy or Mike Williams.

Romes
03-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I would love to grab Roy Williams. Williams opposite Moulds and Reed in the slot would be a great 2 WR set. CBs would have a very tought time matching up. Williams can stretch the field, something we have been looking for since Price left.

And lets face it the Bills could use another Williams.

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I have been driving this car for weeks.

So, what do you want to do?

Devin
03-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Roy williams will probably be a bust.

Dont dislike the guy, hes just soft imo.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

So, what do you want to do?

Check the last post on this for my answer:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39845

If any of the other four WRs are available I would take them. The order I put the WRs are:

1. Mike Williams
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Roy Williams
4. Reggie Williams

Close to them, but not quite
5. Michael Clayton

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Romes
I would love to grab Roy Williams. Williams opposite Moulds and Reed in the slot would be a great 2 WR set. CBs would have a very tought time matching up. Williams can stretch the field, something we have been looking for since Price left.

And lets face it the Bills could use another Williams.

EXACTLY! And Roy Williams could do something that Big Ben and Rivers cannot...he can make an impact THIS SEASON! :D

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:35 PM

Good pick, but I would prefer the other two Williams receivers FIRST. :D

Devin
03-11-2004, 02:35 PM
id rather have a future QB then supposed impact this season

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:37 PM

If any of the other four WRs are available I would take them. The order I put the WRs are:

1. Mike Williams
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Roy Williams
4. Reggie Williams

Close to them, but not quite
5. Michael Clayton

I totally agree. Although, I like Fitzgerald better than Mike Williams, he is definitely 2nd for me, followed by Roy and then Reggie, I think Lee Evans is starting to climb up my list too, and the Clayton next. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted someone like Woods in the 2nd round either, if they don't go WR in the 1st.

Michael82
03-11-2004, 02:37 PM
id rather have a future QB then supposed impact this season

Even though the odds of a 1st round QB doing anything are very slim? :scratch:

texasphinsfan
03-11-2004, 02:41 PM
i think the bottom line is the WR corps in this draft is so rich, whoever you get will be pretty good. Now, the question is will Drew have enough time to get that guy the ball?

Devin
03-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Mikey what good is a WR if you dont have anyone to throw to him thats my point.

I love the WR and agree we need one, my point is I dont think Drew will be here next season and would rather spend a season grooming someone like RIvers.

texasphinsfan
03-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Mikey what good is a WR if you dont have anyone to throw to him thats my point.

I love the WR and agree we need one, my point is I dont think Drew will be here next season and would rather spend a season grooming someone like RIvers.

allow me to rephrase... say you get your QB, (who will be "groomed" under Drew next year), you still need an OL and still need a good 2nd WR. So now McGahee is back, but is getting stuffed at the line b/c of no blocking, and no WR is there to get open so its back to 2003 all over again next year. Drew hikes the ball, falls back, scrambles around a bit, and gets sacked. It is nice to think about grooming a QB of the future, but you have to look at doing something different today, otherwise next year will be worse.

A QB would be a luxury for you right now, but an OL or WR is a necessity.

Michael82
03-11-2004, 03:00 PM
allow me to rephrase... say you get your QB, (who will be "groomed" under Drew next year), you still need an OL and still need a good 2nd WR. So now McGahee is back, but is getting stuffed at the line b/c of no blocking, and no WR is there to get open so its back to 2003 all over again next year. Drew hikes the ball, falls back, scrambles around a bit, and gets sacked. It is nice to think about grooming a QB of the future, but you have to look at doing something different today, otherwise next year will be worse.

A QB would be a luxury for you right now, but an OL or WR is a necessity.

OMG! A fin fan that actually makes sense? :eek: :snicker: :jk:
Good post! I totally agree. A QB is definitely luxury and if we are going to go for the playoffs this year, we can't WASTE our 1st rounder on a QB, grab Losman or Henson in the 2nd round. Then you can have Bledsoe groom them. Grab a stud WR for Bledsoe or you could trade down and get a future all pro guard, like Vernon Carey or Jake Grove. Or if Udeze is there at #13, he would definitely help with the pass rush!

Devin
03-11-2004, 03:00 PM
allow me to rephrase, next year drew is gone, we have a speedy WR with no one to throw to him, or line will likely be average not bad but nothing special.

TH and Mcgahee will bust loose with a wall of a line or no one in front of them...either way. travis has broke off 2 1400 yarders ina row.

See Rivers isnt a Vick but hes mobile and quick. Drew is about as mobile as a tree stump.

QB now, WR 2nd round. If we sign Bober and/or someone else we are set.

Problem solved. Greatest GM on the planet I thank you.

Devin
03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Udeze is overrated.

Michael82
03-11-2004, 03:08 PM
allow me to rephrase, next year drew is gone, we have a speedy WR with no one to throw to him, or line will likely be average not bad but nothing special.

TH and Mcgahee will bust loose with a wall of a line or no one in front of them...either way. travis has broke off 2 1400 yarders ina row.

See Rivers isnt a Vick but hes mobile and quick. Drew is about as mobile as a tree stump.

QB now, WR 2nd round. If we sign Bober and/or someone else we are set.

Problem solved. Greatest GM on the planet I thank you.

Why not draft a top notch QB like Losman or someone else in the 2nd round and Roy or Reggie Williams in the 1st?

WNYnut
03-11-2004, 03:15 PM
I agree, finally somone with some sense!! I'm sick of hearing all this stuff about quarterback, trading up to draft qb. If you want to draft one in the second round , that's dynamite, but with the 13th pick we need an impact player. Not some qb who's going to sit for 2 years or so!

pats-were-right
03-11-2004, 03:26 PM

ahhh, we said that for about five straight seasons before we smartened up.

Devin
03-11-2004, 03:33 PM
:)

Pride
03-11-2004, 03:33 PM
My feelings are as follows. I am guessing we will not have a draft pick this high for years to come, so why not pick our QB when we have the chance!?

I know there are no guarantees, it is better to go after a guy that we want, rather than taking what is left in next years draft at the end of the 1st round

Devin
03-11-2004, 03:36 PM
kind of my point about QB being deep this year. Especially as I said when Drew may not even be here next year, I think because WR is so deep we should snag one in the 2nd.

Philagape
03-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Remember that a quarterback SHOULD sit for his first year or two. The textbook example of how to develop a QB is Pennington. He sat behind a veteran for 2 years, then was ready when called upon and did well, much better than if he had started as a rookie.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I say YES to us picking the best player available at spot 13(unless it is a RB)

Felser's Ghost
03-11-2004, 05:57 PM
An OL pick in Rd 1 to 3 would be great... But I think many will be surprised at how quickly Mcnally gets the line we already have in gear. I agree you pick the best player available at 13... unless it's a position we really don't need... RB or LB. I say pick a WR, OL, or QB... maybe DE depending on who the best available impact athlete is.

I doubt that TD will trade down, although it would be another good option. The reason he did it in 2001 was because the Bill's were in need of a massive rebuilding job and more picks. He will probably be looking more for a playmaker this year and use the high pick. If, by some miracle, he's still there... Take Mike or Roy Williams.

SABURZFAN
03-11-2004, 06:01 PM
welcome to the Zone,Felser's Ghost.

Devin
03-11-2004, 06:03 PM
my idea has always been take Rivers, then woods/evans in the 2nd. The OL will be built before FA is over with.

If we manage to sign Vincent we have addressed most all needs with the exception of DE.

Felser's Ghost
03-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
welcome to the Zone,Felser's Ghost.

Thanks SaburzFan!! Good to be here...

justasportsfan
03-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Romes

And lets face it the Bills could use another Williams. I agree. I want a wr. This team couldn't do anything when Moulds got injured.

We just need to fix our no.2 qb position...... oh and especially no.1 as well. :D

BuffaloRanger
03-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Why has nobody stated the obvious??? A 1st rd QB would cause the ultimate nightmare.

A QB CONTROVERSY!!!

Buffalo fans called for Reich while JIMBO was leading us to SBs. RJ and Flutie, no need to elaborate.

The fans don't need 2 QBs to divide us, we need one QB to rally behind, or it will tear us apart - again.

Those that say they want to develop a young QB will be the same ones screaming for the rookie after Bledsoe's first bad game.

BUFFALO HAS NEVER DEVELOPED A STAR QB!!! (Jimbo = USFL)

How would you like your boss to tell you "I know you think you can do the job for another 5 years, but we doubt it. Here's the guy that will be replacing you in 2 years, maybe even next year if he catches on quick. Then we will fire you, and you can go find another job."

The Bills should get a capable back-up from FA that understands his role. When DB needs replacing look to FA.

Really, isn't the impending RB controversy enough.

1st round - Udeze (if there) or WR named Williams
2nd - WR, if taken in 1st than OL

Dozerdog
03-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
EXACTLY! And Roy Williams could do something that Big Ben and Rivers cannot...he can make an impact THIS SEASON! :D

No he won't. Any WR we draft, barring an injury to Moulds or Reed, won't have more than 35-40 balls thrown his way.

Not saying a WR is a bad choice there- he just won't be on the field much on 1st & 10 or 2nd and 5.

Run, Run, & Run again.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

No he won't. Any WR we draft, barring an injury to Moulds or Reed, won't have more than 35-40 balls thrown his way.

Not saying a WR is a bad choice there- he just won't be on the field much on 1st & 10 or 2nd and 5.

Run, Run, & Run again.

But that WR will be on the field on day one.

Michael82
03-12-2004, 01:18 PM
But that WR will be on the field on day one.

That's what I'm trying to say.