PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Narrows his choice down to 2

Romes
03-12-2004, 02:20 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/8165251.htm

In other news, it appears as if free-agent cornerback Troy Vincent is close to making a decision on where he will play next season, with Cincinnati and Carolina emerging as the two finalists.

Though Vincent has not visited the Panthers in Carolina, he has kept the lines of communication open with them even as he has made visits to Buffalo, Cincinnati and Kansas City. The Panthers freed $3.6 million of salary-cap room yesterday when they released offensive tackle Todd Steussie and the St. Louis Rams matched an offer sheet Carolina had given to tight end Brandon Manumaleuna, a restricted free agent.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news. TD is a smarter man than I but I really hope he does not set us back with this offseason. I know it is early and we can't sign everyone, i just hope he knows something that we all don't.

TKO
03-12-2004, 02:37 AM
Well there's not much left at CB... Bobby Taylor, Mario Edwards, Will Peterson, etc. aren't necessarily good pickups for the Bills. We might just have to deal with the corners that we have on our roster.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2004, 05:27 AM
I don't always believe these kinds of reports, but judging by our lack of progress in signing FAs this year, it's probably true. Perhaps TD's miserly ways are catching up with him.

The only good thing is that the Pats - probably the best organization in the NFL right now - don't overpay for FAs, either. However, we don't have nearly their talent, and I'm not sure how we'll catch up at the rate we're going.

Ickybaluky
03-12-2004, 05:52 AM
I wouldn't say it is over yet. According to the Cincinnati Enquirier, Vincent is still considering offers from 3 teams: Cincy, Buffalo and KC (they made an offer yesterday). It has been reported elsewhere that he is holding out hope he receives an offer from Carolina.

I think the delay with Vincent is he isn't receiving offers as high as he had hoped, probably due to his age (33).

Here is a link to the Cincinnati Enquirer article:

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2004/03/12/bengals12rev.html

Ickybaluky
03-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Here is a link about Carolina's interest in Vincent:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/8166789.htm?1c

They have not scheduled a visit with Vincent, but have been in contact with his agent and may get involved not that they have cleared cap room by releasing Todd Steussie. Vincent has said he would like to play for Carolina, and they may sign him to fill their need for a FS.

madness
03-12-2004, 06:45 AM
So much for the rumors that the Bills are the highest bidder. It looks like Cincy ponied up the cash.

don137
03-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Living in Charlotte I can say based on media reports that Vincent has been itching to be signed by the Panthers since the Super Bowl. The FO of the Panthers have not really said anything but they did lose three of their four starters in the secondary between cuts and free agency. They did sign one person that was cut from Cincy I believe. The paper here keeps reiterating Vincent's interest in the Panthers. My guess is he would sign for them for less than what he would for Cincy, Buffalo and KC.