PDA

View Full Version : Interesting TidBits

berndog5
03-12-2004, 01:09 PM
The Theory about Big Ben to Buffalo may becoming more of a reality, from Pete Prisco @ CBS Sportsline:
We have been preaching it here for a while, but now it appears to be a theory that is actually gaining momentum. North Carolina State quarterback Philip Rivers might be moving ahead of Ben Roethlisberger on some team's draft boards. Don't be shocked to see Rivers go before Roethlisberger in April.

As for the complaints about Mr. Donahoe not doing his job properly. It is a fact that this year we do not have much salary cap space to sign the big names but come on, all the complaining is uncalled for. We have smart management in Buffalo and they are not only looking to win this year, but for down the road as well!!!!
Here is a quote by Pete Prisco that will hopefully stress the point about the smarts of the Bills front office:
It's absolutely mind-boggling the amount of money that two teams paid for guards in the first week of free agency. The Lions gave Damien Woody a six-year deal that averages $5.166 million with a $9 million signing bonus, the largest ever given to an interior lineman. Woody also gets a $500,000 roster bonus this year with a base salary of $2 million for a total of $11.5 million he will earn in 2004. Not bad for a player who has problems with his weight, has been to one Pro Bowl and ended the 2003 playoffs injured. The other team to overpay for a guard was the Dolphins with former Panthers guard Jeno James. The Dolphins gave James a six-year deal that averages $3.522 million per year with a $4.25 million signing bonus. James is also due a $750,000 roster bonus next spring, a bonus he will certainly get unless he suffers a serious injury. The Bills got the best bargain guard, Chris Villarrial, the former Bear who might be the best of the three. He got a four-year deal that averages $2.82 million, which is relatively mild compared to the other two deals.

Just remember people, RELAX, its only a game!

Michael82
03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Big Ben falling!??! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :sadwalk:

:puke:

mikedd74
03-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Let him fall and maybe pick him up at thirteen hmmm then maybe we can trade him to Green Bay for an extra pick lol

The Spaz
03-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
Big Ben falling!??! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :sadwalk:

:puke:

"Big Ben" is going to be one hell of a QB I sure would take him if he fel to us at 13 but if there was a possiblity to move down a bit furhter and take him that would be even better.:up:

Forward_Lateral
03-12-2004, 02:22 PM
If Rivers goes before Ben, I'll eat my hat.

BAM
03-12-2004, 02:27 PM
i'd like to eat that hamburger :hungry:

Devin
03-12-2004, 02:36 PM
lol you poor soul, Rivers is one of the smartest QB's in the draft. His overall instincts and knowledge of the game are unreal.

Id take him over Ben, not that Ben is a bad QB but if you handed me Manning, Rivers and Ben id say of the 3 Ben will output the least.

Rivers has got everything. Call me whatever ya like, but that comment doesnt surprise me at all.

Michael82
03-12-2004, 03:19 PM
If Big Ben falls down the draft, that is a big sign to NOT grab him at 13, and if the Bills trade up to get him, then I'm really going to scream. :eek:

helmetguy
03-12-2004, 04:00 PM
If Big Ben falls down the draft, that is a big sign to NOT grab him at 13, and if the Bills trade up to get him, then I'm really going to scream. :eek:

What? Just because teams picking ahead of us may pass on him to address other needs, he wouldn't be of value to us? If the guy is good at #5, is he that much worse at #13? Damn, Mikey! You're HARSH!

Michael82
03-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
What? Just because teams picking ahead of us may pass on him to address other needs, he wouldn't be of value to us? If the guy is good at #5, is he that much worse at #13? Damn, Mikey! You're HARSH!

Nope, I just don't want to waste a pick on a QB in the first round! :eek:

bills_7
03-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Nope, I just don't want to waste a pick on a QB in the first round! :eek:

i am with ya buddy!! we dont have to worry about our QB as much as everyone thinks, we have to get to whats needed the most OL and a good 2nd WR

Michael82
03-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by bills_7
i am with ya buddy!! we dont have to worry about our QB as much as everyone thinks, we have to get to whats needed the most OL and a good 2nd WR

and a top DE like Udeze or another CB. Plus, our DTs are getting old, if someone like Tommie Harris or Vince Wilfork is there...I'd be VERY tempted to grab them. If not, I'd love to trade down and snatch the top Guard...Vernon Carey or a nasty SOB like C Jake Grove. :D

DraftBoy
03-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Devin
lol you poor soul, Rivers is one of the smartest QB's in the draft. His overall instincts and knowledge of the game are unreal.

Id take him over Ben, not that Ben is a bad QB but if you handed me Manning, Rivers and Ben id say of the 3 Ben will output the least.

Rivers has got everything. Call me whatever ya like, but that comment doesnt surprise me at all.

Ok so you like knowledge and instincts, Ill take overall ability, correct throwing motion, and ability to win big games. Now while Rives motion is not as messed up as some have made it out to be, any QB coach is gonna naturally want to tinker with it somewhat. This scares me b.c it definetly hindered Joey Harringtons progression and Rivers is more than just where to the hold the ball on the drop back. Just the slightest bit of tinkering could not only not hold, it could affect his previous way of throwing the ball. The last thing you need is another thing for your QB to be thinking about. Out of the three you aformentioned Id say Eli produces the least.

helmetguy
03-13-2004, 06:11 PM
and a top DE like Udeze or another CB. Plus, our DTs are getting old, if someone like Tommie Harris or Vince Wilfork is there...I'd be VERY tempted to grab them. If not, I'd love to trade down and snatch the top Guard...Vernon Carey or a nasty SOB like C Jake Grove. :D

I understand what you're saying...mostly. As for DT, wouldn't that be the same scenario as drafting a QB in the first round? I'm assuming that a first-rounder is supposed to be an immediate impact player. At least, in light of all the gnashing of teeth over the McGahee selection, a first round pick is wasted if he isn't the immediate starter? Just trying to get a handle on your philosophy there, Ol' Buddy!

Bert102176
03-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Devin I'm with you, I feel Rivers is gonna be damn good

JefftheBillsfan
03-13-2004, 09:49 PM
at least the DT can be rotated in the game. Or...in tommie harris, maybe you have a pass rush DT/run play LE?