PDA

View Full Version : Henson signs with Cowboys

justasportsfan
03-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Cowboys | Land Henson; Eight-year Deal Agreed To - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:07:00 -0800

SportsLine.com's Jay Glazer after shipping a third-round draft choice to the Houston Texans for QB Drew Henson, the Dallas Cowboys reached an agreement on an eight-year deal with Henson. The deal will void to four years if he plays in 15 percent of the Cowboys' snaps this season. Henson will earn $3.5 million in guaranteed money whether or not the deal voids. If he voids the deal, he'll receive the entire $3.5 million after next season. If he doesn't void the deal, he'll receive the money over eight-years.

The Quebecer
03-12-2004, 06:14 PM
For a 3rd round pick this year!

:shout:

shelby
03-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Damn, y'all posted it at the same time:dizzy:

Nice find, thanks!

RedEyE
03-12-2004, 06:19 PM
The list grows shorter.

Pride
03-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
The list grows shorter.

Thank god all of this henson talk to buffalo is over!

The_Philster
03-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Pride

Our :pray: were answered.

RedEyE
03-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I know. He wasn't worth all that attention to begin with.

THATHURMANATOR
03-12-2004, 06:41 PM
I think Henson would have been worth a 3rd round pick.

The_Philster
03-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I think Henson would have been worth a 3rd round pick.

I think he'd have been worth a first rounder...as long as it was the Fish giving it up. :D

justasportsfan
03-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Looks like Tuna and TD (& co.) saw the same thing in Henson. Apparently TD wasn't willing to pay what the Cowboys dished out.

THATHURMANATOR
03-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

I think he'd have been worth a first rounder...as long as it was the Fish giving it up. :D

What are you talking about?

The_Philster
03-12-2004, 06:50 PM
What are you talking about?

He's a major risk, IMO. 8 games of college ball that happened years ago? Honestly, he's almost as much of a risk as a top high school QB coming straight into the NFL.

THATHURMANATOR
03-12-2004, 06:53 PM
What QB are you going to draft in the 3rd round????? No one with more potential than Henson. It also doesn't seem his contract is way out of whack either.

THATHURMANATOR
03-12-2004, 06:57 PM
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT PHIL!!!

The_Philster
03-12-2004, 07:01 PM
What QB are you going to draft in the 3rd round????? No one with more potential than Henson. It also doesn't seem his contract is way out of whack either.

Potential is the word we all used with Rob Johnson. But anyway, any QB we could draft this year would very likely have a lot more college experience than Henson did before he abandoned the game...only to come back on his hands and knees when he failed at his chosen sport.
As far as his contract, it actually looks pretty decent for the Cowboys. If he flops, they'll only be on the hook for $3.5M. All he has to do is be adequate enough to be the third stringer.

The_Philster
03-12-2004, 07:02 PM
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT PHIL!!!

:rolleyes: Give a guy a second to get back to the thread and answer, will ya? :D

lordofgun
03-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I agree thurm. Watch Parcells make him into a great one.

If Parcells wanted him, I'd say there's a good chance he'll be good.

The Spaz
03-12-2004, 08:06 PM
He signed for eight ****ing years **** that!

The Natrix
03-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Henson will be a bust.

Dozerdog
03-12-2004, 08:21 PM
He might be a bust- he might be a pro bowler.

The issue with the Bills was that this club can't afford to gamble like that. We made our gamble on McGahee. We can't tie up millions in a guaranteed contract on such a risk.

Those who think he's not a risk are blind, those who think he's an absolute washout are short sighted.

Let Jerry Jones take the risk- he's used to it. 2nd round pick on Quincy Carter? Overpaying Scott Hutchison after 3 years in baseball? Henson is right up his alley.

If Buffalo had an aging Kelly in front of him, or if Bledsoe's future wasn't up in the air, then sure- take another risk.

But we are a team that operates under a tight margin, and can't afford to wing it. Yhese gambles fail more than they succeed.

Dozerdog
03-12-2004, 08:25 PM
BTW- Those who think Bill Parcells will turn this guy into a miracle are kidding themselves. Parcells will be long retired when Henson developes into a full blown QB in 3 seasons.

Expansion Blues
03-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Henson was signed by a GM that doesn't have his job on the line. Everyone is in a win-now scenario and are afraid to make a mistake. A late 3 is not that high a risk for a guy that was once graded as the best QB in the draft. This is something Rob Johnson was never graded out to (for all the RJ comparisons) It's a 8 year deal that is voidable in 4 if he plays 15% of the snaps. The money is not anymore than a large signing bonus. What is the difference? Same amount of cash, just cap defeating.

Novacane
03-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Expansion Blues
Henson was signed by a GM that doesn't have his job on the line. Everyone is in a win-now scenario and are afraid to make a mistake. A late 3 is not that high a risk for a guy that was once graded as the best QB in the draft. This is something Rob Johnson was never graded out to (for all the RJ comparisons) It's a 8 year deal that is voidable in 4 if he plays 15% of the snaps. The money is not anymore than a large signing bonus. What is the difference? Same amount of cash, just cap defeating.

Hey EB...............nice to see you around again. I think you guys should have kept Henson and traded Carr to us for a 3rd rounder.:D

Expansion Blues
03-12-2004, 08:58 PM
I lurk here a lot. You have a nice group. Thanks.

Henson would not have played for us. He would have entered the Draft. He is a bit of a front runner. Michigan, Yankees, now the Cowboys. I never got the impression he would want to play for a start up team.

Novacane
03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Turns out to be a great move by your GM. Move up 3 rounds in a much deeper draft than last years.

NC-BILLS44
03-12-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm glad he's gone, I want RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-13-2004, 10:05 AM
That better be one hell of a third round pick the Bills get this year.

justasportsfan
03-13-2004, 10:11 AM

Potential is the word we all used with Rob Johnson. .

and Eli Manning, Roth... , rivers. They are all potentials.

The_Philster
03-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
and Eli Manning, Roth... , rivers. They are all potentials.

Yeah...but the one thing that all of those players have, even RJ, that Henson doesn't is actual college experience. 8 games over 3 years ago doesn't mean much.

justasportsfan
03-13-2004, 11:22 AM

Yeah...but the one thing that all of those players have, even RJ, that Henson doesn't is actual college experience. 8 games over 3 years ago doesn't mean much. Obviously Pacells doesn't agree with you. :D

The_Philster
03-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Obviously Pacells doesn't agree with you. :D

Yeah...but it just goes to show that even he's not right all the time. ;)
Seriously, maybe he just sees something I don't...maybe his high school career was THAT spectacular to take a chance. At least Henson isn't getting an ungodly contract out of the bargain.

justasportsfan
03-13-2004, 11:25 AM

Yeah...but it just goes to show that even he's not right all the time. ;)
Seriously, maybe he just sees something I don't...maybe his high school career was THAT spectacular to take a chance. At least Henson isn't getting an ungodly contract out of the bargain. Phil for HC!!!! :D

The_Philster
03-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Phil for HC!!!! :D

Hey...at least I'd ensure we'd run the ball on 3rd and short more than once every 70 times. :D

Mr. Cynical
03-13-2004, 02:44 PM
As much as I didn't want Henson here, Tuna would never sign someone he didn't believe in. And I think we all know what happens when he believes in someone. :(

But since I hate Dallas, I truly hope he is Ryan Leaf II. (remember, they had him once as well...)

Throne Logic
03-14-2004, 08:58 AM
For Hensen, this is the best possible situation. Parcells can develop a game plan to put anyone in a position to win. If anyone can help Drew ease into the NFL fire gracefully, it's Bill P.

Valerie
03-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Ummmm. I hope it works out for my 'Boys. I guess Quincy will be the back-up now.

The_Philster
03-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Valerie
Ummmm. I hope it works out for my 'Boys. I guess Quincy will be the back-up now.

I doubt they'd make that switch so soon. Henson has a lot of work to do to be ready for the NFL.

Tatonka
03-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Our :pray: were answered.

:D

Originally posted by lordofgun
I agree thurm. Watch Parcells make him into a great one.

If Parcells wanted him, I'd say there's a good chance he'll be good.

cuz parcells has never been wrong.. and couldnt possibly be wrong, right?

and there is no way that jerry jones wanting to make a big splash, could have made this move regardless of what bill thought either right? because jones would never cross a coach and get his hands in the personel departement right?