PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest mistake the Broncos made

RedEyE
03-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Replacing mediocre Brian Greise with mediocre Jake Plummer and giving him an ungodly amount of money?

or

Dealing away Clinton Portis, one of the best upcoming RBs in the league?

What a joke this team will turn out to be. Broncos will be bottom dwellers next season for sure.

Novacane
03-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Griese sucks so replacing him was a good thing.

I still don't get why they traded Portis. I guess Shanahan thinks he can put any shmoe in the backfield and get 1400 yards out of him. So far he's been right about that.

The_Philster
03-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Kinda early to say.
The QB move seems to have worked out for them...but it's only been a season.
The Portis move looks pretty bad...but they've been getting star RBs every year, it seems.

lordofgun
03-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Plummer was great last year.

shelby
03-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Yes he was.

casdhf
03-13-2004, 06:58 AM
it's harder to find stud Corners than it is to find stud HBs. The redskins got absoutley ripped off. I think the Broncos got the edge in a straight 1 for 1. PLUS, they get a 2nd rounder.

Yeah, not to mention Portis doesnt even fit Joe Gibbs style of running.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-13-2004, 10:03 AM
I think the Broncos not only got the better player in the deal, but Washington also gave them a pick.

Bert102176
03-13-2004, 06:36 PM
I say trading Portis was stupid

BillsFever
03-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Everyone the Broncos put back there excels. Davis, Anderson, Gary, Portis, and Griffith the rookie from last year.

I don't see it being any different this year, and they also get a stud CB and a high 2nd round pick out of it.

ShadowHawk7
03-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Very tru Fever. Ne idea on how they do it? Is it cuz they have an amazing Oline? I hadn't heard too much bout it be4...

StanMarino13
03-14-2004, 06:45 AM
As far as mistakes I'm thinkin its when they signed Daryl Gardener to a big contract knowing he was a turd. The Portis trade worx wonders for their defense. With Delta Oneil falling from grace and a probowl season in 2001 with 9 ints they really needed a cb. Funny thing is they dont want Delta to play cb anymore they just want him to be a 3rd or 4th wr.(which in itself could be their biggest mistake) Last year without a top tier cb their defense still finished top ten i believe, so Champ should improve the secondary big time. Add the fact they could draft a very good safety in the 2nd round with their extra pick and that defense is rockin.

BuffaloRanger
03-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Their O-line coach that had been there for at least 6 years took another job this off-season.

Tatonka
03-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Plummer was great last year.

yeah he was.. the broncos would have been much better had he not gotten hurt..

and as far as getting rid of portis.. shanahan has shown that it doesnt matter who is in the backfield for them... that rb will be successful.

MDFINFAN
03-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

yeah he was.. the broncos would have been much better had he not gotten hurt..

and as far as getting rid of portis.. shanahan has shown that it doesnt matter who is in the backfield for them... that rb will be successful.

I defintely agree with this..the Denver running machine is amazing..

pyrrhonist
03-19-2004, 11:35 PM
I don't see Denver as being "foolish" at all in their deal. Sure, it hurts to see a guy with numbers like Portis' (Numbers he attained missing 3 or so games per year, no less) being traded, but Bailey is a DB you have to go and get if he's available. You don't find a DB like that available all the time. To boot, Shanahan has been able to plug in back after back each year prior to Portis, and they'd run like crazy. I don't really see it being that much different this year, although I wouldn't expect Droughns or whoever to run up 1,500 this coming season.