PDA

View Full Version : Bills in holding pattern

The_Philster
03-13-2004, 04:39 AM
By Leo Roth, Democrat and Chronicle
The NFL’s initial feeding frenzy on free agents is over, but another wave of signings based more on patient analysis than emotion could be starting soon.
The Buffalo Bills, who have signed only one player in the first 10 days of talent shopping — Chicago Bears right guard Chris Villarrial — still have many prospects on their radar screen.

They include Philadelphia’s five-time Pro Bowl cornerback Troy Vincent, New York Giants offensive lineman Chris Bober, Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Mark Bruener and Tennessee backup quarterback Billy Volek....
more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0313H23JGTL_sports.shtml)

Now that Bober is out of the picture, I wonder who enters it.

Historian
03-13-2004, 06:17 AM
I don't have a problem with them taking their time, however, it makes for a slower message board.

The_Philster
03-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Billsology
I don't have a problem with them taking their time, however, it makes for a slower message board.

Mikey keeps things hopping with his near heart attacks though. :chuckle:

Michael82
03-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Mikey keeps things hopping with his near heart attacks though. :chuckle:

:mad:

ScottLawrence
03-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Im with you Mikey.... Im starting to get really impatient.

What is there to do now? If Vincent doesn't sign with us then we are in an even deeper hole.

Michael82
03-13-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Im with you Mikey.... Im starting to get really impatient.

What is there to do now? If Vincent doesn't sign with us then we are in an even deeper hole.

I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt, because he started FA very nicely. However, once the names started falling off and now Chris Bober, I looked at the list and there is really no one left. I still am waiting on Vincent and that would make a HUGE difference in my mind...TD better give him a 3rd offer to compete with the Bungles, if not...then I want to see both Bobby Taylor and Will Peterson in Buffalo next week. also, Volek should be in for a workout next week and give him an offer. Then I want to see Mark Bruener finally signed and Sam Gash re-signed. IF TD does any of these, my mind will be at ease and I will feel a little better. As of now, we lost 5 players from last year and only added 1. So far, it doesn't look like an improvement at all.

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Brown- 4 million dollar guard people wanted out anyway

Morris- Special teams ace but expendable at RB-

Winfield- 11 career interceptions- took 12 million THIS YEAR from vikes

Gash- 35 year old FB

Moore- Dime a dozen TE

On the O-Line right now we broke even- gaining some cap space in the future. Lost a RG but gained a LG

Winfield Hurts- for the moment. But we could not compete with the contract offered , and he wanted out anyway. If we tagged and tried to trade, we lose out on Villarrial

Woody- Overpaid
Bober- people assume he wants to play Center
Darryl Jackson - to expensive to be a #2 or 3 WR with Reed on team

Volek- waiting
Vincent- waiting

I don't see where it's panic time yet.

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Amazing- last season we were spoiled - this season we are a bit more conservative and everyone cries.

Novacane
03-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

actually only 6 career int's. Even with 11 he would not be worth what the Vikes gave him.

Hermanator21
03-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I think TD is doing all of the correct things he needs to do. I remember way back when Drew Henson had his workout and I was really hoping that we would sign him, only for the reason to sign somebody....anybody....but as time went on I realized I didn't want Drew, it was just my innersoul wanting to bring in SOMEBODY new. I think we all want all of these new guys in the FA market, but we must put our faith in TD and let him do his thing because we can't overpay anybody.....we can't afford to. So to everybody who feals that we must sign all of these FA...RELAX and let TD work his magic, plus it is still very early.

bills_7
03-13-2004, 01:47 PM
i think TD is gonna have to open the bills wallet to one of these players if he wants to get them.... hopefully TD matches CIN and KC offers to TV???

helmetguy
03-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Mikey... PUT DOWN THE MADDEN!!!!...STEP AWAY FROM THE MADDEN!!!!

bills_7
03-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

I already have TV on my roster i hope i dont have to change it

Mr. Cynical
03-13-2004, 04:17 PM
What concerns me the most is this:

With a decision due on the future of center Trey Teague looming — he’s due a $2 million option payment on Monday that would tie him to the club through 2005...

If the option on Teague isn’t exercised, his cap number would rise by $2 million for this season. If the Bills aren’t willing to pay it, it makes more sense to release the six-year pro, who has started at center the past two seasons.

So that means we either:

1. Renew the option and pay him $2M. How much of this goes against the cap?
2. Do not renew the option which then hits the cap with $2M.

Given we lost Bober and do not seem to have any other centers in the crosshairs, it is likely that he will be playing center again next year. This is NOT good. We need to upgrade that position ASAP. Now it seems we are going to take a hit either way for a subpar center. (unless we draft a starter, but I doubt that will happen)

helmetguy
03-13-2004, 04:32 PM
We still have to take into account that Teague's two year stint as our center "just happened" to coincide with the two-year debacle known as Kevin Gilbride and his totally offensive Offensive Line coaches. These were the guys who foisted seventh-round Guard Mike Pucillo on us as the starter this past season. It's entirely possible that McNally actually CAN instruct Teague in the finer points of the position; not to mention that McNally's and Clements' approach to line play will be considerably different and certainly a WHOLE lot simpler. Committing to the run will certainly help. As underused Henry was in Gilbride's nightmare, he still managed roughly 1400 yards behind that O-line.

Food for thought!

shelby
03-13-2004, 05:19 PM

:rofl:

ScottLawrence
03-13-2004, 05:42 PM
I think we should forget about Teague and cut him.... Draft a Center in the second round.

Teague is playing in the wrong position, We should cut him and draft someone who has played Center and knows the position well.

Jake Groove is someone we should think about.

helmetguy
03-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
I think we should forget about Teague and cut him.... Draft a Center in the second round.

Teague is playing in the wrong position, We should cut him and draft someone who has played Center and knows the position well.

Jake Groove is someone we should think about.

Teague has something Grove doesn't...two seasons at the position AT THE NFL LEVEL. A bird in the hand...

If we could replace Teague with an NFL experienced Center (at a decent price, of course) then I'm fine with it. Putting a rookie there at this point is an added risk we needn't take right now.

ScottLawrence
03-13-2004, 05:55 PM
I bet Groove would do a better job at Center then Teague would.... Look at Jordan Gross, he did VERY well in his first year. Better then a lot of tackles in the NFL.

CWOUSARET
03-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Brown- 4 million dollar guard people wanted out anyway

Morris- Special teams ace but expendable at RB-

Gash- 35 year old FB

Moore- Dime a dozen TE

On the O-Line right now we broke even- gaining some cap space in the future. Lost a RG but gained a LG

Winfield Hurts- for the moment. But we could not compete with the contract offered , and he wanted out anyway. If we tagged and tried to trade, we lose out on Villarrial

Woody- Overpaid
Bober- people assume he wants to play Center
Darryl Jackson - to expensive to be a #2 or 3 WR with Reed on team

Volek- waiting
Vincent- waiting

I don't see where it's panic time yet.

Agreed - I'm with you on this analysis!

The_Philster
03-13-2004, 07:30 PM
We still have to take into account that Teague's two year stint as our center "just happened" to coincide with the two-year debacle known as Kevin Gilbride and his totally offensive Offensive Line coaches. These were the guys who foisted seventh-round Guard Mike Pucillo on us as the starter this past season. It's entirely possible that McNally actually CAN instruct Teague in the finer points of the position; not to mention that McNally's and Clements' approach to line play will be considerably different and certainly a WHOLE lot simpler. Committing to the run will certainly help. As underused Henry was in Gilbride's nightmare, he still managed roughly 1400 yards behind that O-line.

Food for thought!

Nice thoughts at that. :hungry: I'd still like to see us draft a C early on...give him some more solid backup and maybe competition for the job.

Dantheman1280
03-13-2004, 07:37 PM
We have to keep teauge do to that there is no one esle and as for drafting a young center Im all for it. Also the QB situation can be fixed in the draft I say BJ simmons is our man!!

BuffaloRanger
03-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Cutting Teague and getting a stud center in the draft might not be possible. What if the guy is already off the board?

Michael82
03-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by bills_7
I already have TV on my roster i hope i dont have to change it

me too, along with Chris Villarrial. :D

ScottLawrence
03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
Cutting Teague and getting a stud center in the draft might not be possible. What if the guy is already off the board?

Thats possible but, there are other STUD Centers besides Groove..... Leckley, Stephonavich are two that come to mind.

Im really hoping we cut Teague which would basically send a message that we will draft a Center.

Tatonka
03-14-2004, 03:23 PM
i think that td pulls a rabbit out of his hat with this years draft.. just like the clements, henry, schobel, jennings, sullivan draft.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 03:29 PM
I'd love to get Grove or Lekley- or fill the RG spot- but I'm not all that comfortable with a rookie and unproven vet at both spots.

Grove and a Vernon Carey might be nice long term, but 2 rookies there would get schooled.

Now Shaun Andrews at LT, move Jennings inside, then you could get Grove with proven talent on either side of him

The Spaz
03-14-2004, 03:36 PM
I'd love to get Grove or Lekley- or fill the RG spot- but I'm not all that comfortable with a rookie and unproven vet at both spots.

Grove and a Vernon Carey might be nice long term, but 2 rookies there would get schooled.

Now Shaun Andrews at LT, move Jennings inside, then you could get Grove with proven talent on either side of him

I like your idea of getting Andrews except I would move him inside and be like a Leonard Davis type.

Mr. Cynical
03-14-2004, 06:11 PM
The more I think about it the more I think we prolly should cut Teague. He's getting what....$2M this year? Could really use that money elsewhere. I'm really at that point where I wish they'd just admit we need to completely overhaul the O and start from scratch. Besides Moulds (who has more years behind him than in front of him) and Mike Williams (although some would debate that) who is really worth keeping? We don't know about McGahee so that's a wash. But honestly, who is indispensible? May as well flush the toilet and draft/build it up. Pay the piper now so that in 2-3 years we are really set. JMO...

ShadowHawk7
03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by kal123
The more I think about it the more I think we prolly should cut Teague. He's getting what....$2M this year? Could really use that money elsewhere. I'm really at that point where I wish they'd just admit we need to completely overhaul the O and start from scratch. Besides Moulds (who has more years behind him than in front of him) and Mike Williams (although some would debate that) who is really worth keeping? We don't know about McGahee so that's a wash. But honestly, who is indispensible? May as well flush the toilet and draft/build it up. Pay the piper now so that in 2-3 years we are really set. JMO...

The more I think about it, the more glad I am that you're not the GM. :yikes:

hehehe, no offense... :biggrin: