PDA

View Full Version : Law tells NE...I want out of here!!

Thailog80
03-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Ty Law (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/03/13/law_out_to_end_days_as_a_patriot/)

If we could at a fair price....Oh man.

Ickybaluky
03-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Law has established his price, which is 7 Yrs/$63M with a $20M signing bonus. The Patriots have told him they don't even want to bother negotiating at that money, and will let him play this year under his current deal.

Ty Law isn't going anywhere, and that is why he is making so much noise. He wants a new contract that makes him the highest-paid CB in the game, so he wants the Patriots to release him.

That isn't happening. The Pats have already informed him they are carrying him this year at his current number. He is under contract, so he has no choice but to play. He isn't happy, but he will play. Belichick is stubborn enough to hold on to him anyway.

Law is a bright guy, and a likeable player. I can't say I blame him for trying to get his money now, and by making noise he hopes the Pats will be pressured into releasing him. He even went as far to say he is willing to refund them the remaining pro-rated bonus money he has left.

Isn't happening, though. Law will play for the Pats next year, he just won't be happy with his contract.

Thailog80
03-13-2004, 07:47 AM
NE39..I agree with and respect your post. In just stating that things are nasty and Law is saying things that cant be swept under the rug easily.

Ickybaluky
03-13-2004, 07:58 AM
But the Pats have been through this before. With Terry Glenn, with Bledsoe, the whole Milloy thing, Ted Johnson walking from camp, Andy Katzenmoyer just disappearing without notice...

The Pats are used to this type of thing. Players get upset and spout off. Belichick is never one to react. He has a contract, and he will play. The other stuff really doesn't matter to the Pats.

I like Ty Law, and he is a smart guy. He was saying this same stuff last year, just not as intensely. Law figures this is his exit strategy, he will make a bunch of noise, get the fans riled up and put pressure on the Pats to do something. It's just business, and Law is very clever with that. He wants his new deal now.

But Belichick won't even comment on it. He will act like it is a non-factor. After this season, he may have to deal with it, but he has already made his decision that Law will play under his old contract, and nothing will move him off that.

I realize a lot of fans get upset by this type of thing, but it really isn't anything. Ty is trying to get his new deal, and I can't blame him. I might do the same thing. But this type of thing never works with Belichick.

mybills
03-13-2004, 08:06 AM
:idea: Maybe he'll spite them and play like crap! :pray: :biggrin:

Michael82
03-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by mybills

or he'll HOLD OUT! :snicker:

don137
03-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Law has been very well compensated by the Patriots over the years. Law realizes he is getting older and he wants to cash in one last big payday before his skills start to diminish. The more great years he has left the bigger his signing bonus will be. He is probably going nuts after seeing how much Bailey and Winfield signed for. Unfortunately, for Law, he is tied to that contract whether he likes it or not. NE is not the type of team to be intimidated by such antics so there is not much Law can do....

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by mybills

Originally posted by Mikey82
or he'll HOLD OUT! :snicker:

Oh please people..if you aspire to be the hghest paid corner in the NFL- why take millions out of your pocket with these actions? It only drives your asking price way down.

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 08:36 AM
I think he fears getting released in the manner Milloy was- last minute- with most suitors set in their cap spending and with their corners in place.

london59
03-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Ty Law isn't going anywhere, and that is why he is making so much noise.

so he wants the Patriots to release him. That isn't happening.

Isn't happening, though. Law will play for the Pats next year, he just won't be happy with his contract.

He has a contract, and he will play.

Law will play under his old contract, and nothing will move him off that.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

justasportsfan
03-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Bet you BB is sitting in is office waiting for a call from TD to see if he'll bite once again. Law is awsome but I don't want him for what he's asking from the Pats.

It's not about the money? Yeah right.

Ickybaluky
03-13-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm just stating the obvious, not trying to convince anyone of anything. If Law stays or goes, it really doesn't matter. He is likely gone eventually, but for the current year he is a Pat. He is eventually going to get a new contract from someone, but probably not until after this season. I don't blame him for being vocal and trying to get released, but that really doesn't have any impact on his current contract.

That said, there is talk the Pats are interested in John Lynch. As much as Lynch and Rodney Harrison seem redundant (and it seems to be certain he will join the Jets), if they sign him it will likely mean a move back to CB for Eugene Wilson and could mean they will look to deal Law.

However, until the Pats get another starting-quality CB or a S that allows Eugene Wilson to move back to his original position, how could they get rid of Law? Even if he were to pay back his bonus and provide them cap relief, they still would have a gaping hole to fill.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Law be traded or released given the Pats history, but until I see them make a move to replace him (like they did with Milloy when they signed Harrison) it is hard to even entertain the thought. Articles like today's may get the fans up and arms, but really don't mean much to the team.

If Law is released or traded, I wish him well wherever he ends up. He is a good guy and a great player, and will help any team that signs him.

Ickybaluky
03-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Now if they were losing Chris Bober I might really be upset.

(I'd insert a smiley face, but I really don't like those things. Please note the intended sarcasm.)

BigZ
03-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Is Ty Law a good corner - yes.

Would he look good in a Bills uniform - yes.

Is he worth $7 million a year - maybe.

Can we afford to pay him that - probably not.

Would he play here for $4 million a year - absolutely not!

Should we pay him what he wants to get him - hell no!

BAM
03-13-2004, 11:57 AM
white bills t-shirt, white bills t-shirt, white bills t-shirt :pray:

Mr. Cynical
03-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by zielinski
Is Ty Law a good corner - yes.

Would he look good in a Bills uniform - yes.

Is he worth $7 million a year - maybe.

Can we afford to pay him that - probably not.

Would he play here for $4 million a year - absolutely not!

Should we pay him what he wants to get him - hell no!

:10:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-13-2004, 03:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1758628

:chair: :firehead:

BidsJr
03-13-2004, 03:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1758628

After reading this not a chance! He is getting older and 7 years and 63 million? This guy will not be in a Bills uni. He goes on and on about it not being about the money, and all he talks about is the money? Not a high flyer on an IQ test, this is obvious.

shelby
03-13-2004, 03:10 PM
i don't think we could afford him anyway.:idunno:

ArcticWildMan
03-13-2004, 03:13 PM
No thanks.

The Spaz
03-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Can we merge all the Ty Law threads into a "all things law" thread?!:rofl:

shelby
03-13-2004, 03:25 PM
You got it.:curtsey:

mybills
03-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Oh please people..if you aspire to be the hghest paid corner in the NFL- why take millions out of your pocket with these actions? It only drives your asking price way down.

no duh

The Spaz
03-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by shelby
You got it.:curtsey:

:up::beer:

Ed
03-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Wow, that article really turned me off of Ty Law. Maybe he's being honest when he says it's not about the money. Maybe he's just really unhappy as a Patriot and is using his contract situation and money as an excuse to get out of there. If that was the case would he take less to play somewhere else? I don't know, but it sure sounds like he's just looking for a truck load of cash before his career comes to an end. I mean he's already got two superbowl rings, so how much would he care about trying to win another one with Buffalo? I've always liked Law, but he's already 30, seems to only be motivated by being the highest paid corner in the league and has only had one or two season in his whole career where he got more then 3 INT's.

Michael82
03-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Washington could use a new CB, maybe Snyder will throw the money his way. :snicker:

JefftheBillsfan
03-13-2004, 10:00 PM
i am predicting that ty law will be a buffalo bill next year. i dont know how. but something tells me, this was the suprise TD was expecting. Coy Wire could have started last year at SS. We brought in Milloy for this and this alone IMO. law will play for less than he would in NE to piss them off. maybe we can make his salaries look inflated sorta like they did with bledsoe when he signed the "100 million" contract. but i mean come on guys, he wore a bills t-shirt.

Bert102176
03-13-2004, 10:12 PM
no way could we get Law, especially as cheap as we are

mybills
03-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
i am predicting that ty law will be a buffalo bill next year.

You mean 2005 right?

From everything I'm hearing here (as in home, not just ne39) he's staying put for 2004.

Ickybaluky
03-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Again, the only way I could see them getting rid of him this year is if they go out and sign a player to replace him. If they were to sign Vincent, Taylor or Lynch (allowing Wilson to move to CB), then that might be a sign they will deal him.

But, how could they deal him when they don't have a replacement? They are stupid, and this isn't anything new with Ty. This is just Ty being Ty, he is smart about the NFL and knows the only way he can get his new deal is if the Pats release him or trade him. He'll still go out and play.

Marvelous
03-14-2004, 11:31 AM
They do have a lot of good picks to get a CB.
Can NE afford to sign all those picks??

elltrain22
03-14-2004, 03:26 PM
We can't afford him, and that is pretty unfortunate

pats-were-right
03-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
i am predicting that ty law will be a buffalo bill next year. i dont know how. but something tells me, this was the suprise TD was expecting. Coy Wire could have started last year at SS. We brought in Milloy for this and this alone IMO. law will play for less than he would in NE to piss them off. maybe we can make his salaries look inflated sorta like they did with bledsoe when he signed the "100 million" contract. but i mean come on guys, he wore a bills t-shirt.

Time to move into the 21st century buddy.